Shainin & Others - Views expressed about 'Quality Gurus'

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
Shainin & Others... Views expressed about 'Quality Gurus'

Ever since I read this one, I have been wondering what the Cove members may think of the views expressed about 'Quality Gurus' - This is straight out of "World Class Quality" by Keki Bhote (1988):

"... Dorian Shainin is one of the 'gurus' of quality on the American scene. Among the others, Phil Crosby is a showman, useful for companies in the dark ages of quality. Juran is superb for general management. Deming now concentrates on twisting top management's tail. Shainin alone is a consummate "tool" man - the master problem solver...."

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Marc said:
All this time later, is anyone interested in commenting?
No comment, but people unfamiliar with Dorian may be interested in reading a brief biography on the ASQ site ***DEAD ASQ LINK REMOVED***

Last edited by a moderator:
J
I do not know Shainin too much, but I notice that Shainin is a founder of a DOE tool, so-called “Shainin Method” which preferred by VW and Bosch. But I do not know too much about it, can someone here have some material to share. Any help will be appreciated.

The Taz!

Frankly,

ALL the Guru's had something to offer and a piece of the whole pie. None addressed all issues or covered the gamut.

Dorian Shanin lived about 10 minutes from me prior to his death, and I was fortunate to spend a week locked in a conference room with him working on a problem resolution about 8 years ago.

I'll only comment on Shanin here. . . he DOES have a basketful of statistical engineering tools. They do work well but have their limitations also. He is the practical tool man of the bunch.

gpainter

All had something to offer and I think a lot of it was salesmanship, good ole fashion consumerism, among other things. One question I would ask and it may be another thread is "What makes a quality guru?" Maybe a job description.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
There was at least one other thread where Q "gurus" were discussed and I think Atul participated.

I know little of Shainin. I would guess that Shainin was not as much of a marketer as the others because I think he has the least name recognition.

The Taz!

Shanin was the $1500/day plus 1st class accommodations and travel roll-the-sleeves-up guy of the bunch. His work was of a more practical down-to-Earth nature as I see it. He was a crusty old dude who had little time for rhetoric and salesmanship. . . and little patience . . . possible why he is not as well known as others.

Though I was not a big proponent of his many years ago, I have used and seen his tools in use, and they do work if studied and understood. I would recommend anyone studying his techniques.

I worked a problem at a customer about 5 years ago using the 8D methodology. A team of Shanin masters was set on the same problem and came to the same conclusions I did. It took me two weeks, it took them 3 days.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Problem Solving Methodology Help - Shainin/Red X Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
C Shainin and DOE (Design of Experiments) Information Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Design of Experiments - Details of Shainin technique and a training source - India Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Shainin DOE - Paired Comparison? Background of this theory? Binomial distribution? Six Sigma 16
C Six Sigma vs. Shainin - Content of problems that can be solved by Shainin Six Sigma 25
A Shainin vs. Fisher vs. Taguchi DOE (Design of Experiments) Statistical Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
A DOE - Design of Experiments - Shainin Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
L DOE Integrated Methodology - Traditional DOE vs. Taguchi Methods vs. Shainin Techniqu Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
G Shainin statistical engineering techniques Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
R Dorian Shainin passed away on Friday, January 7, 2000 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
R Applicable ISO standards - packaging and others Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
R FDA - How to discontinue/obsolete medical devices that share sub-components with others that will still be distributed Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
W Compliance Obligations - legislative, regulative and others Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
S How others have defined "reaudits"? 21 CFR Part 820.22 Internal Auditing 1
Hershal Holiday Season 2014 - Giving to others Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
A EASA Part 21G approval for manufacturing of seat covers, carpets, curtains & others EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
M Oracle Agile PLM Software Reviews - Oracle Agile, others? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
S 510(K) Ownership and Protection from Use by Others 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Hershal Remembering others this 4th of July 2013 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Wes Bucey Embarrassing confession as a cautionary tale to others After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
A MS Excel Font Help from ASQ, AIAG and/or Others Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
D Standards (ISO and others) - Which language should I use? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C Setting Up Part Masters in ERP Systems - How are others doing it? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
F Product Standards (steel cabinet/furniture/rack & others) and Regulations Questions Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
G Risk Analysis - Templates of EN ISO 14971:2007 and others ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Wes Bucey Job hunting for new graduates and others with no job experience Career and Occupation Discussions 9
Q Quality Program: Which could be the best for a Company? EFQM, Six Sigma, TQM, others? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Sidney Vianna Thanks Given to Others in Forum Posts Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
B Product Identification issue - Good/NG/NC/Pending or others ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Macro to fill up columns when shorter then others Using Minitab Software 4
D Excel 2007 functions for calculating interest payments and others Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
S APQP, ANPQP, AQMPP and others ... APQP and PPAP 10
M Revision Frequency of Documents (in ISO 9001, cGMP, GMP or others)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P OEE - Is there a company that offers a better display than others? And how effective Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 19
T What is this UL document - Is it a Certificate or others? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
Q Handling Calibration Postponement - just a note/deviation report/others? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
H Recommendation for a Planning tool which gives an Alarm at Specific Time & Others. Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
G Specific requirements of the OEMs - GM, VW, end others. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G AS9100 - 7.2 Contract Review - How others do Contract Review in a documented fashion Contract Review Process 6
V ISMS, ITIL, ISO and others - BS7799 is interpreted as a quality standard Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
I Hardcopy or electronic CAR (Corrective Action Request) form (& others)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
S The theories and practices of Deming, Juran, Kaizen and several others Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 3
M Telecommunications Standard TL 9000 - Willing to Help Others TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 44
W Others? Clause 7.5.1.7 Feedback of Information From Service? Service Industry Specific Topics 4
D If the master print is stamped controlled, do we need to control the others? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Corrective Action/8D Procedure & Form - Would like to see what others are doing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S CB accredited by non-aligned AB - industry views? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Seeking Views and Ideas on Procedure related to Project Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Your views and comments on these AS 9100 Related Audit Non Conformities AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K What types of charts, lists, views do you like regarding FMEA results? FMEA and Control Plans 7