Shainin statistical engineering techniques

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Big Red

I don't know of a particular website that outlines his principles, but there is a book called "World Class Quality: Using Design of Experiments to Make It Happen". Keki R. Bhote describes the "Multi-vari study" and several other simple and not-so-simple, but very powerful, problem-solving tools popularized by Dorian Shainin.

K

Ken K.

I did some nosing around the web for related methods but found relatively little. I got the feeling that the methods are closely guarded so as to maximize the in-classroom training fees by the Shaininites.

L

Laura M

That's exactly it. From what I understand there is no book because you need to be "trained."

B

Big Red

The book that I mentioned above has the Shainin principles in it.
I got my copy from amazon.com
It has other principles in it, but it is mostly about Shainin.

S

Spaceman Spiff

I have been through the Shainin Statistical Engineering Journeymen Training program when I worked for the Automotive Industry. It is a closely guarded material and an expensive training program (but our customer, Delphi, paid for our training). At the start of the course, you have to sign an agreement not to teach the tools outside of the company. Now, at a new company, I have the same book by Keki Bhote so I train people using the book and reference the Shainin training material.

Personally, I find the Shainin method much more geared towards problem solving than the 6 sigma methods of using classical DOEs. Even though my training is free, my opinion is that it is a great investment for people who are truly interested in solving problems.

M

MarkR

I've also used the Bhote book to solve shop floor problems and for training. It does a nice job of outlining several Shainin techniques. However, he could have used a better technical editor. If you try to follow some of the examples in the book the equations mysteriously change, or constants appear and disappear. But overall it is very useful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Shainin vs. Fisher vs. Taguchi DOE (Design of Experiments) Statistical Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
B Problem Solving Methodology Help - Shainin/Red X Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
C Shainin and DOE (Design of Experiments) Information Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Design of Experiments - Details of Shainin technique and a training source - India Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Shainin DOE - Paired Comparison? Background of this theory? Binomial distribution? Six Sigma 16
C Six Sigma vs. Shainin - Content of problems that can be solved by Shainin Six Sigma 25
A DOE - Design of Experiments - Shainin Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
L DOE Integrated Methodology - Traditional DOE vs. Taguchi Methods vs. Shainin Techniqu Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Atul Khandekar Shainin & Others - Views expressed about 'Quality Gurus' Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 8
R Dorian Shainin passed away on Friday, January 7, 2000 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
John Predmore Interactive visualization through graphical simulation of statistical concepts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Bev D Profound Statistical Concepts Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 63
A Statistical Analysis - Check if these organisms at different concentrations affect the growth of wheat seedlings Using Minitab Software 4
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
O Statistical justification of sampling size in V&V tests ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
optomist1 It’s time to talk about ditching statistical significance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Marc Steve Prevette's Statistical Process Control (SPC) "Library" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
John Predmore A Balanced view of statistical tests Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S IATF 16949 9.1.1.3 Application of statistical concepts - Our technicians are quizzed for statistical knowledge IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Please help identify appropriate statistical treatment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
ScottK Statistical basis for 30 pieces for FAI 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
B IATF 16949 clause 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies shall be conducted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Statistical Process Control and Inspection in Footwear Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
M IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.1.1 - Statistical studies shall be conducted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Steve Prevette Statistical Process Control Library Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
Marc Happy Birthday Statistical Steven - 2015 Covegratulations 10
L When are Statistical techniques not applicable? Service Industry Specific Topics 16
M FDA 21 CFR 820.250 - Does "valid statistical" always mean math? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
R Common Statistical Errors Using Minitab Software 1
Y Statistical Analysis of Road Traffic Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
B Class II Medical Device Manufacturer - SOP for 820.250 Statistical 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
E Correct Statistical Test comparing 2 Groups Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
A Statistical Software Calibration using Ford's "Sample Calibration File" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Defining Martial Arts and Gymnastics Statistical Techniques Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Capability Analysis - Unusual Statistical Distribution of my Proccess Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
M PhD Thesis Data Statistical Analysis Methods Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
J Statistical Significance and SPC Control Chart Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
N Statistical Quality Improvement Action for Small Batch Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
V Validation of macro - scripts - programs used in statistical software (Minitab-SAS... Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
Moncia Statistical Process Control Crash Course - Question Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
H Statistical Models for Predictive Management of Software Processes Software Quality Assurance 2
A Statistical Correlation between ordered SKUs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Minitab and Crystal Ball Statistical Analysis Software Using Minitab Software 13
M Determining if two different X's have any Statistical Significance on the Y's Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
I Statistical Stability for the PQ of Analytical Equipment Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
F Statistical Comparison of Product: High Average vs. Low Range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
E Using ANOVA during the PQ Validation Run to evaluate Statistical Differences Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4