Shainin vs. Fisher vs. Taguchi DOE (Design of Experiments) Statistical Analysis

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Ravi Khare

Andrews said:
Where can I learn more about Shainin DOE?

Has it really been able to reduce your ppm level?
DOE itself will not reduce ppm levels. DOE is a technique, which, if used properly, can astablish cause and effect relationships. It gives you a better insight of your process. ppm levels can reduce as an effect of actions you take on your process, based on the better knowledge you have acquired about it.
This is not true for Shainin DOE alone, but also for the Fisher and Taguchi variants of DOE.

sulkinsf

Involved In Discussions
Shainin

Rick -

Shainin's techniques are copyrighted, trademarked, etc. Class participants are required to sign a contract that they will not teach the material to others. The only way to learn about Shainin is to go to his classes in Detroit. www.shainin.com

His approach is very efficient. His class is very expensive. Bottom line - I recommend the class. If I can be of further assistance, shoot me an email.

[email protected]

Best of luck,

Steve.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Shainin vs. Fisher vs. Taguchi DOE

Can anyone summarize the major differences between the Fisher, Taguchi and Shainin variants of DOE?

sulkinsf

Involved In Discussions
I cannot answer the question in a single post, but perhaps I can start.

Borrowing from Tom Scripps class, "DOE" held at the ASQ Quality Institute on Six Sigma, and my attendance in Shainin's Statistical Engineering class...

The purpose of conducting experiments to gain knowledge. I would characterize the differences in Fisher, Taguchi, Shainin as the depth of this knowledge gained by each design. Typically, you would start with a shallow, screening design and progress to focused, deep designs.

Fisher is the father of DOE. His work is referred to as Western or Classical school of DOE. The classical school first asserted Full Factorial designs (all variables and interactions are studied).

Taguchi works off the principle that most variation is attributed to only a few input variables. Study of all variables is not necessary. The Taguchi school asserts Fractional Factorial designs (study only a few variables).

Shainin's work is proprietary. I signed away my first born that I would not reveal his protected work. However, my opinion is that this is the most simplistic of the three. The designs are much smaller and quicker, but you give up the thoroughness of Fisher designs.

Each has strengths and limitations. Each has its own purpose (confirmatory, exploratory). It is very likely that, in the process of understanding your process, you will use more than one design.

-Steve.

Speaking of DOE; I have been in the quality profession for 20+ years and have yet to see a real life application of DOE. I have seen plenty of text book examples but they just don't seem to tell the story.
Does anyone have an example they would care to share.

J

jvillanueva

Re: Doe

Where can I learn more about Shainin DOE?

Has it really been able to reduce your ppm level?
You might want to buy the book World Class Quality. Using Design of experiments to Make it Happen. Bhote.

It really helps to understand and apply technique to problems in all kind of industries.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Problem Solving Methodology Help - Shainin/Red X Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
C Shainin and DOE (Design of Experiments) Information Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Design of Experiments - Details of Shainin technique and a training source - India Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Shainin DOE - Paired Comparison? Background of this theory? Binomial distribution? Six Sigma 16
C Six Sigma vs. Shainin - Content of problems that can be solved by Shainin Six Sigma 25
A DOE - Design of Experiments - Shainin Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
L DOE Integrated Methodology - Traditional DOE vs. Taguchi Methods vs. Shainin Techniqu Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Atul Khandekar Shainin & Others - Views expressed about 'Quality Gurus' Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 8
G Shainin statistical engineering techniques Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
R Dorian Shainin passed away on Friday, January 7, 2000 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 2
B WEDM Taguchi and Anova Analysis - L16 array with 5 parameters at 4 levels Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
H Taguchi mixed model DoE [L16 (4^3 2^6): factors interaction and ANOVA calculation Using Minitab Software 3
A Taguchi Minitab - Continuous Data - What should I choose as response variable? Using Minitab Software 3
K Taguchi Experiments for Factorial Design Analysis - Reliability of Minitab Results Using Minitab Software 1
S Taguchi Design with ANOVA - 3 factors each with 3 levels Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 13
M Taguchi Loss Function Problem Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
M Taguchi Signal to Noise Ratios Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
J F and P-value in L9 Taguchi Design Using Minitab Software 22
E ANOVA for Taguchi method - Four factors and three levels and nine runs (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 6
Y Experiential Design with Taguchi Method Using Minitab Software 2
M Taguchi Analysis of Discrete Factor Using Minitab Software 10
Y Taguchi Design with 6 levels and 3 factors in Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
P Taguchi Logit Transformation in Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
K Taguchi School Assignment using an L8 Orthogonal spreadsheet tool Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
P Taguchi Anova Error with Minitab Using Minitab Software 9
R Taguchi design for 3 level 4 factors Using Minitab Software 12
M Taguchi L4 Orthogonal Array Design of Experiments (DOE) in an Excel spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
M Taguchi versus fractional factorial: Can somebody check the results? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
AnaMariaVR2 How to Make Things Well: Genichi Taguchi, 1924-2012 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
J Taguchi Analysis using MiniTAB Using Minitab Software 1
B Taguchi DOE (Design of Experiments) example using Minitab Using Minitab Software 3
Atul Khandekar Quality Giant Dies: Dr. Genichi Taguchi: RIP - June 2nd 2012 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 0
V Using Taguchi method in Minitab for Coil Winding Application Using Minitab Software 11
T DOE Multi level Taguchi - I am doing a Capstone Project Using Minitab Software 10
T Taguchi DOE Analysis - What S/N ratio (Nominal is best or smaller is better) to use? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Taguchi's "Robust Design" for Services Sector - Experience or Papers to Share? Six Sigma 3
A Taguchi Inner and Outer Array Design for Medical Device Testing Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
D Mathematical Model of Taguchi L18 Using Minitab Software 7
R Analysis of Welding Parameters - Can Taguchi methods provide equation? Using Minitab Software 11
R Define Data from Taguchi to Response Surface Methodology in Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
R Taguchi Design - Degree of freedom for l27 in 4 factors 3 level (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 15
P Taguchi's Analysis using Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 25
P Taguchi method using Minitab - DOE (Design of Experiments) Help Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Marc Taguchi Loss Function example Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
C Difference between softwares in choosing correct Taguchi designs Using Minitab Software 16
C DoE and ANOVA - 4 factor and 3 levels Taguchi design with 2 replicates Using Minitab Software 14
G Implementing Taguchi Loss Function in COQ - A Curious Case Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
V Quality Gurus Comparison - Deming, Juran, Crosby, Ishikawa and Taguchi Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
M Apply Taguchi method for Web-based application development Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
T Optimizing Multiple Response Variables Using Taguchi Signal-to-Noise ratios Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3