Shared Responsibility Between Spec Provider and Contract Manufacturer

W

wenrw

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and after several hours reviewing information here, decided to explicitly ask about some of the questions I had as I was still unclear about the answer.

My background is in Design and Development Engineering however I am currently working business development for a very small med device startup. Although I have seen a lot of the QS/cGMP at larger medical device companies, I have never been directly involved with their implementation.

We have already launched one successful product (which I was not involved with) and are in the development process with two more. I am tasked with the development of these 2 other products. Both products are very simple Class I devices that will be manufactured, packaged, sterilized, tested, and shipped to us by a contract manufacturer. We will be providing them with all of the specifications on the devices. Unfortunately, neither product will be exempt from GMP. All that our company will be doing is storing, marketing, selling, and delivering the final product delivered from the CM. Obviously this comes with servicing complaints as well.

If I am not mistaken, we would be the "specification developers" for the product, which requires us to maintain cGMP. Because of this, are we responsible for putting extensive quality systems in place that involve the manufacturing of the device or can some of this be passed off to the CM? I see us being involved in the distribution and complaint/servicing part of the QSR, but it seems that most of the manufacturing quality would be taking place with our CM. Are we able to pass off some of the quality systems to the CM or are we responsible for the entire thing?

As you can imagine, developing an entire QS as such a small company would introduce a huge strain onto our company. While I think I am capable of doing this, I would anticipate this taking over a year of work that would take a large amount of my time. Are there any ways to get out of developing a complete QS that includes all of the manufacturing as well?

Thank you in advance for any guidance you guys can provide on the topic!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

...we would be the "specification developers" for the product, which requires us to maintain cGMP.
Yes.

Because of this, are we responsible for putting extensive quality systems in place that involve the manufacturing of the device or can some of this be passed off to the CM? I see us being involved in the distribution and complaint/servicing part of the QSR, but it seems that most of the manufacturing quality would be taking place with our CM. Are we able to pass off some of the quality systems to the CM or are we responsible for the entire thing?
You have full primary responsibility. You can contract with the CM to do additional things for you, but you cannot shift responsibility to them.

Note however that, if the CM is itself a Registered Establishment, FDA will regard them as additionally responsible because they're supposed to know the rules. There is precedent for this in Warning Letters. This however does not remove any responsibility from you.

Are there any ways to get out of developing a complete QS that includes all of the manufacturing as well?
Sure. Have the product "belong" to someone else, and just be a distributor under the Private Labeling rules.

That's it. There's no other way.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
That's it. There's no other way.
While technically true, it is a bit of a harsh way of putting it, IMO. As a general guideline, Spec Dev's are required, under the QSR, to have documented procedures for processes and activities that they carry out, plus a few that are mandatory for all manufacturers (complaint files etc.). My reference is (the late) FDA Quality Systems Manual guide and part 820 itself.

It's true that essentially the Spec Dev, as the entity under whose name (and responsibility) the device is put into distribution, has primary regulatory responsibility (not withstanding the precedent mentioned and consequent general FDA approach); however this can be realized in part by the CM and controlled (hi-level) through the manufacturing contract. So, the relevant parts of the SD's QMS can be very lean, referring to the contract, the CM's QMS etc.

Cheers,
Ronen.

W

wenrw

Thank you for your help guys! That was what it seemed the case was so now we've got some decisions to make.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q CAR?s Responsibilities? How the responsibility will be shared in CARs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A How to deal with changed shared components in 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Jen Kirley Shared responsibilities in Responsible Care 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
drgnrider Records control on a shared, open, network Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 15
M Can Copy of ISO 9001 be shared by affiliated companies? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Shared Processes - How do I reflect them in my QMS Procedures and Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
somashekar Shared Services - What must be done in a situation like this ... Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
A Small Company Organizational Chart with many Shared Roles Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
S Organization of a Shared Network Drive Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S How to measure Energy Use for individual users in a shared business Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 23
C Shared Resources in Cell and how to address them on Work Instructions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
K Multiple Sites/Certificates and Share Procedures - Shared resources outsourcing? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A Control of Non-conforming product - Shared services centre processes transactions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Shared Services and TS16949 question - Automotive Design Center IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T Shared Ownership of Two Companies and TS requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T ISO 13485 - 5.5.1 Responsibility and authority - Small Company Independence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
D DHF Responsibility after design handover Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
L Global distributor vigilance responsibility Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 14
S Responsibility of intercessor services provider about services's quality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Main responsibility for Control Plans - creating and maintaining FMEA and Control Plans 13
M EU MDR - UDI requirements and responsibility guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Mr Skeleton PV (Production Validation) test plan responsibility APQP and PPAP 21
Shawn Mosby DFMEA when the supplier doesn't have design responsibility APQP and PPAP 14
W Organizational Responsibility for Environmental Compliance of Products REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
T Design responsibility for customized product per customer requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
T Decontamination responsibility on customer complaint investigation Customer Complaints 4
lyobovnik Matters being audited, independence, participation and direct responsibility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
P Responsibility for Design Transfer - OEM vs. CM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Where does our regulatory responsibility end? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Contract Packager or Repackager? And can client assume responsibility? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
Q U.S. Agents - Responsibility for reporting adverse events to the FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
Fender1 Customer specified Item Defect Corrective Action Responsibility Customer Complaints 18
G FAI (First Article Inspection) Responsibility - QC or Engineering? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
E Manufacturer's responsibility to notify the NB regarding Medical Device End-of-Life CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
sutie What is Ethics Escalation (“Whistle-Blowing”) Policy - Corporate Responsibility IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Leadership Responsibility in an ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L What is the difference between Objectives and Responsibility ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Responsibility for Labeling in Multi-Location Group Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
JoCam ATEX - Responsibility for a Declaration of Conformity Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
E Manufacturer Responsibility (vs. User/Customer) for Preventive Maintenance/Repair 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Specification Verification Responsibility AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
V VAG Customer Specific Requirements - Product Safety Responsibility Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
G Application of RASI (Responsibility, Authority, Support, Information) Chart IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K Hardware and OS Responsibility in FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Kronos147 Customer Request for Corrective Action - Responsibility AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Whose responsibility is it to issue Corrective Action Requests? Internal Auditing 8
D Requirements & Responsibility regarding Fire Foam in an Office Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
O Vendor (Supplier) Responsibility - Re: Quality Audits 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Does "Responsibility" need to be mentioned in the Corrective Actions ? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 22