Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company

Hi,

Does any of you have experience with using Sharepoint for a 13485 compliant QMS for a small IVD company?

We are looking into whether it would be possible to find a consultant who could be responsible for creating the overall structure of the QMS, rather than having one of our own employees to do it since it will take time in training.

If you know the right person or alternative solution please feel free to suggest.

Regards
Emil

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

William55401

Involved In Discussions
There is a great deal of content on the Cove related to off the shelf eQMS solutions that may already have some level of validation by the provider. Typically, the customer only needs to do an IQ and then have a process for managing updates (validating changes). I would not advise using SharePoint as a solution. I am not aware of anyone with a validated 21 CFR 11 compliant QMS that relies on that MS platform. Here's a WL cite (a bit dated) for an org that did not validate it adequately.

http://www.ofnisystems.com/media/ucm173977.pdf

Last edited:

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Regarding your consultant question, there's a forum for that. :)

SharePoint has some interesting features but there's nothing built in that would enable a 'turnkey' QMS support system. As @William55401 points out, there are a number of eQMS solutions, some very expensive, some not so bad. Realize that if you go with a solution like SharePoint, you'll be investing a lot of time building up the infrastructure. I think the tools are probably in place to build it up and make the system compliant (no e-signature capability, though). And also realize that with an eQMS system, you'll still likely need to invest some time in setting up workflows aligned with your company's operations.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Trusted Information Resource
When I worked at the VA they partnered with a local university. They had asked me to develop a QMS based on 13485 using SharePoint. I was able to create a workflow for documents and set up permissions and revisions. We were also able to set up a trace matrix for DI to V&V reports. Beyond that, though it was a challenge.

gard2372

Quite Involved in Discussions
Emil,

We are in the process of rolling out our Enterprise wide SharePoint on our Microsoft 365 platform. I did compare many EQMS platforms (ETQ, HQMS etc...) from cost, QMS functions, scaleability, IT integration ease, ease of use and one that was made for quality people not just a bolt on module in an existing ERP platform that is not designed for quality people.

Being a small company, I recognize cost is a factor which is also why we chose BPA as the cost per user is relatively lower than my experience with larger platforms.

We've decided on implementing the BPA Solutions QMS app that rides on top of the SharePoint Platform. With our Microsoft 365 platform, we can easily manage workflows, responses etc... more easily as our entire communications platforms are Microsoft.

Software Validation with BPA Quality & Risk Management

(Not a paid consultant nor being compensated by BPA Solutions)

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Ooh, thanks for that tip. I'll look into BPA solutions. I work with a lot of customers in the small / startup / no funds category.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Emil,

We are in the process of rolling out our Enterprise wide SharePoint on our Microsoft 365 platform. I did compare many EQMS platforms (ETQ, HQMS etc...) from cost, QMS functions, scaleability, IT integration ease, ease of use and one that was made for quality people not just a bolt on module in an existing ERP platform that is not designed for quality people.

Being a small company, I recognize cost is a factor which is also why we chose BPA as the cost per user is relatively lower than my experience with larger platforms.

We've decided on implementing the BPA Solutions QMS app that rides on top of the SharePoint Platform. With our Microsoft 365 platform, we can easily manage workflows, responses etc... more easily as our entire communications platforms are Microsoft.

(Not a paid consultant nor being compensated by BPA Solutions)
Thank you very much for the suggestion gard2372.

I have now been looking into the BPA solution and it does indeed seem quite flexible. Have you started your work on the platform yet? If so how do you find it performing?

And how long did it take to set up?

Kind regards
Emil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
GreatNate QMS in SharePoint - Is anyone doing this? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
QIE Anyone have experience with BPA Quality (QMS system based on Office365/Sharepoint) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
M Change Orders in SharePoint Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Marc ASQ Linkedin Group - Microsoft Sharepoint discussion - June 2017 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
xfngrs Automotive Industry Nonconformance Database wanted - Preferably SharePoint based Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
O Implementing Lean Intranet Sharepoint Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
E Recommendations for Quality Management Solution in SharePoint Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
K Revision Status Identified only in Sharepoint Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
P SharePoint in a Manufacturing Environment Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
M How to analyse document usage for Sharepoint? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
J Change in our SharePoint Document Control Process - Is this ok? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J File Name Revisions in SharePoint Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Part 11 Compliant Digital Signature Requirements - Sharepoint Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
P SharePoint for Document Control - 'Workflows' using SharePoint 2010 Enterprise Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Control of Documents - Converted online in SharePoint Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
H 4.2.3 Document Control using Microsoft Sharepoint - Visibility of Draft Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C World Population Clock as Web Part in SharePoint Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
V Suggestions on Organizing Documents using SharePoint 2010 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
V Electronic Document Control Sharepoint Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Microsoft Sharepoint as Document Control Software - FDA Validation Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
J Document Control Software - Sharepoint Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
SteelMaiden SharePoint 2007 - tips, tricks or tools? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
N Anybody with experience with Sharepoint portal for electronic document control? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 53
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 15
O In addition to the standard, what other ISO 13485 sources do people recommend? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Watchcat ISO 13485 for IVD (In-vitro Diagnostic Device) Manufacturers? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G New to ISO 9001 - Where to begin? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
BeaBea Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 35
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
F Logistics and IT clauses in ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q Automation in manufacturing - Print Shop ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
B ISO 14971 Applied to Software ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
K Contamination Control - Class Is medical devices (Clause 6.4.2 ISO 13485:2016 (E)) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
V Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
H ISO 13485:2016 Gap Analysis by NB ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Gun46 ISO 9001 : 2015 Lead Auditor Exam General Auditing Discussions 5
Q ISO 9001:2015 man days for surveillance audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Obstruction alarm requirement ISO 80601-2-12 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Q To set frequency to review documents in ISO 9001 7.5? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
F ISO 13485 - EU countries that could request another audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
O Adding ISO 13485 to an AS9100 QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
JoCam Increase to bi-annual ISO 13485 audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Govind Informational ISO COVID-19 response: freely available ISO standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Ajit Basrur Why is ISO 14644-3:2019 not approved by US? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Mr Roo ISO 9001 - 7.1.3 Infrastructure - questions concerning evidence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
K ISO 15223-1 Sterile barrier system - The 3-layer symbol EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15