Sharing QMS Documents with Customers

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I have a customer supply quality engineer asking for electronic copies of many of our general procedures and work instructions. She is asking for copies of virtually everything - documentation control, corrective action, manufacturing, configuration control, etc.

My general policy is to allow the customer to have a copy of the quality manual and any procedures specific to their product, but just allow them to view but not copy other documents.

Was curious what other folks' policies are.

Thanks,

Mike

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

planB

Super Moderator
[...] have a copy of the quality manual and any procedures specific to their product, but just allow them to view but not copy other documents.
This is what I have typically seen before.

Have you asked the customer supply quality engineer what (s)he is looking for in the other documents?

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have a customer supply quality engineer asking for electronic copies of many of our general procedures and work instructions.
My general policy is to allow the customer to have a copy of the quality manual and any procedures specific to their product, but just allow them to view but not copy other documents.
Mike

Good day @Mike S. ;
1- Is any of this defined via contract? You may want to confirm with your commercial team if/how any contracts exist/are established.
2- Did your customer issue your organization a "supplier manual" that may stipulate any such requirements?
3- It is not required to provide process proprietary information to ANYone. If you are in the automotive world, for example, your customer is entitled to your risk analysis document (PFMEA) and an overview of how all risks/processes/product features are controlled (Control Plan). But even within those documents, proprietary information can be referred to by an associated document ID, etc...and the proprietary details not conveyed to the customer.
4- Does your organization have a strong relationship (I hope) with this customer? Does a relationship exist between your customer and someone in your organization who could as "why" those types of documents are being requested ?

It is not common for customers to request those type of documents.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
The hopeful in me: she is preparing to perform a system audit and wants to familiarize herself with the supplier’s processes documentation.

The cynical in me: she is thinking of becoming a consultant and wants to collect as many procedures as possible from suppliers and repackage them for her future clients.

Last edited:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Thanks for all the input.

I have had a few different customers ask for this kinda stuff over the years.

This particular person is doing a remote audit of sorts due to Covid. It is routine, not the result of any problems we have had. Even if she was coming in-house to do it I would not normally allow her to have a copy of anything to keep aside from the QM and documents specific to her company, and would not share information about other customers, but I would allow her to view general documents.

There is nothing contractual saying they can have a copy of these documents.

Same with metric data like OTD and quality levels -- I share data specific to that customer, not across the board.

IMO this "audit" is for the most part one of those BS audits that wastes everyone's time but helps the auditor look busy or valuable. We're AS9100 registered by a well-known and reputable registrar, does she really doubt whether we have a document control procedure? :rolleyes:

blackholequasar

The Cheerful Diabetic
Typically I will provide our quality manual which has an outline of all our SOPs. I don't know the benefit in them actually SEEING the SOPs themselves as long as we show that we have the processes controlled? I'm with Sidney on this, tbh. He hit it right on the head.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
These are special circumstances (a remote audit due to Covid) so special provisions might be appropriate. At the same time, I don't think that if I were even doing an on-site audit as a customer that I would ask for (or need) all of that documentation. Without being familiar with the customer it's hard to say how I might react, but I think I might ask for audit questions and respond as necessary without sending any documentation.

Tagin

This particular person is doing a remote audit of sorts due to Covid. It is routine, not the result of any problems we have had. Even if she was coming in-house to do it I would not normally allow her to have a copy of anything to keep aside from the QM and documents specific to her company, and would not share information about other customers, but I would allow her to view general documents.
All the remote audits we've had used screen-sharing to allow the auditor to view relevant pages or parts of our QMS docs that I would bring up on screen in response to a particular question. Sometimes they might take screen captures as evidence, but none of them wanted all the QMS docs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Sharing SharePoint Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
T IATF Rules for sharing production space with another company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
JoshuaFroud Serial numbers and labelling when sharing device components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
W Is sharing resources treated same way as remote function? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Validation of Dropbox for File Sharing, Storage, and Retrieval ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
A ISO/TS 16949 - Sharing Certification Audit Report (NCR's) with the Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
D Sharing ISO Standards internally on company computers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Gman2 Processes sharing the same nonconformance during an audit General Auditing Discussions 13
P IT tools for Knowledge Sharing in a large Organization Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Richard Regalado Sharing a Statement of Applicability (SOA) for ISO/IEC 27001:2013 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
R Sharing a Quality Manual with a Customer - Proprietary Information Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
N Sponsor asked to view our SOPs remotely using File Sharing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Web based file sharing i.e. Dropbox for Doc Control - Comments/Alternatives? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
somashekar Information sharing: Week 27, 2010 (HEAT TREATMENT) The Reading Room 3
somashekar Information sharing: Week 24, 2010 (INDUCTION MOTOR) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 22, 2010 (HARDNESS, THREADS, BEARINGS) The Reading Room 3
somashekar Information sharing: Week 22, 2010 (TPM, OEE) The Reading Room 1
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (PAPER SIZES) The Reading Room 1
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (COMPUTER TERMS, NUMBER SYSTEM AND DIGITAL) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (CAPACITORS, TRANSFORMERS, RELAYS) The Reading Room 2
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (LEADACID BATTERY AND 12V ELECTRICAL SYSTEM) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 21, 2010 (MOTORS, MACHINES AND LUBRICATION) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 20, 2010 (DG set and SYNCHRONIZATION) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 19, 2010 (ELECTRICITY, SAFETY & GROUNDING) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 19, 2010 (SOLAR ENERGY) The Reading Room 0
somashekar Information sharing: Week 19, 2010 (ENERGY) The Reading Room 0
S Sharing and/or Protecting Knowledge: Balance Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
Q Internal Audit Reports - Examples sharing Internal Auditing 7
Hershal Only THREE foods - Informal sharing of tastes Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
L ISO 9001 Certification of Multiple Companies in the same Facility & sharing resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Sharing information on useful web sites Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 30
Q Enterprise company sharing corporate procedures? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Total Quality Managememt Video for sharing Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
Y APQP (2nd version) Training Material Sharing APQP and PPAP 1
M Does Anybody have an ISO 22000 internal audit checklist for sharing? Internal Auditing 11
hogheavenfarm Extent of certification - Companies sharing manufacturing space in a building ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L CEDAC (Cause and Effect with Addition of Cards) - Sharing Experiences and Form(s) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 15
Govind Sharing key Audit learning across multi-site operations General Auditing Discussions 12
A Sharing best practices in customer satisfaction monitoring process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 17
R Couples sharing Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
S Thank you so much for sharing all your expertise! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
C Getting started with EMS - Sharing knowledge and experience Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
S HELP in setting-up QMS Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
S How long the QMS must be maintained after device EOL? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Processes interaction of QMS Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
P Can I exempt products/services from my AS9100 QMS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J0anne QMS Implementation Iran ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
adir88 Substantial Change to QMS (Annex IX, Chapter I) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Watchcat When to begin putting together postmarket production QMS for a mobile app? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
B QMS Functional Safety Checklist ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 0