Shelf Life for Injection Molded Plastic Parts

ROOTS

Involved In Discussions
Dear All,

Can anyone please provide me the information of the Shelf life of the injection molded plastic parts for the following materials.

1, Nylon 6 Glass Filled

2. Nylon 66 Glass Filled

3. ABS

4. Poly Carbonate

5. PPS

Also please help me by providing the information of storage condtion for the Shelf Life for the above materials.

Also is there any Standards or Specifications or website address that gives the above details?

Regards
M.Prabhakar

Dr. L. Ramakrishnan

Forum Moderator
Re: Shelf life for Plastics

Hi

If you are storing the plastics granules that you have mentioned (which are essentially thermoplastics), in a cool and dark place, I don't see shelf-life as an issue. Shelf-life is an issue for thermoset plastics such as epoxies, phenolics, Unsaturated polyester resins, polyurethanes etc.

Internet Sites of manufacturers of these plastics will give you further details on storage, handling etc.

With best regards,

Ramakrishnan

ROOTS

Involved In Discussions

Dear Mr. joshua_sx1,

We are using plastic parts in our product. We are not a manufacturer of plastics

Dear Mr.Dr. L. Ramakrishnan,

We are not storing granules. We are storing the plastic parts after injection molding. We have checked internet Sites of manufacturers also and we have not got the details as what we required.

Thanks
M.Prabhakar

Dr. L. Ramakrishnan

Forum Moderator

Hi

If you are using plastics parts, if you store the product in a cool and dark place the comment for the granule applies to that too. One area of concern is "ageing"...normally this is catalysed by light and heat.

With best regards,

Ramakrishnan

joshua_sx1

Quite Involved in Discussions
k… I asked if you are supplying them or manufacturing them because this is where you are going to start you declaration of shell life expectancy…

…if you are manufacturing them (or producing them in some other terminology), the shell life expectancy should be defined during your design & development stage… it should be incorporated from your customer requirements or from any statutory or regulatory requirements you have to comply…

…but since you just mentioned that you are using it, then someone must be supplying that material to you… and if it is being supplied to you, then there must a supplier… and as a customer, you have rights to ask your supplier to give you a data pertinent to the material they are supplying to you… and yes, you can include the “shell life” specification & expectancy…

…anyway, reading back again your inquiry, I found some “gray” area :notme: … I guess, someone is supplying you granules and you are using them for molding plastics… if that’s correct, then you are producing these plastics (see my 2nd paragraph?)… and if you are producing them, then it should be part of your design & development process – defining your product specifications…

...ask your chemical engineer to do some in-dept study to define your product specifications… it’ll be easier than surfing internet… since, your product may have different compositions and processes involved, and may not have the specifications from others…