Shelf Life of Combination Sets for Class II Medical Devices

Mor628

Involved In Discussions
Dear Cover's,

One of our medical device is a combination set (Foley Catheter + Syringe).

The label on the product which is packaged into one, says that the expiry of product (catheter + syringe) is 3 years. As the syringe is limited to 3 years, hence as a whole the product has a shelf life of 3 years.

However, below the expiration date we want to include a small note saying, that the catheter has 5 years of shelf life. Implying that the catheter is still safe to use once the syringe has expired.

I understand that one device, no matter how many combinations, can not have more than one expiration date. Does including the note, make it two expiration dates?

Are we breaking any regulations by doing so?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
In the EU it *may* be possible, but it won't be liked, you would have an uphill battle with the notified body.

From a risk point of view it is extremely likely to cause confusion and may result in an expired syringe being used.

I wouldn't recommend this

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am not a regulatory expert, but does the catheter have to be used with the syringe? Is the kit a secondary packaging (the syringe and catheter have their own packaging). I have seen kit manufacturers put an expiry of the kit, but that is more a function of the packaging and shortest expiry of a compoent. If the components are "kitted" the individual components have their own expiry date, then I believe you can still use the catheter after 3 years by itself.

Dear Cover's,

One of our medical device is a combination set (Foley Catheter + Syringe).

The label on the product which is packaged into one, says that the expiry of product (catheter + syringe) is 3 years. As the syringe is limited to 3 years, hence as a whole the product has a shelf life of 3 years.

However, below the expiration date we want to include a small note saying, that the catheter has 5 years of shelf life. Implying that the catheter is still safe to use once the syringe has expired.

I understand that one device, no matter how many combinations, can not have more than one expiration date. Does including the note, make it two expiration dates?

Are we breaking any regulations by doing so?

Mor628

Involved In Discussions
I am not a regulatory expert, but does the catheter have to be used with the syringe? Is the kit a secondary packaging (the syringe and catheter have their own packaging). I have seen kit manufacturers put an expiry of the kit, but that is more a function of the packaging and shortest expiry of a compoent. If the components are "kitted" the individual components have their own expiry date, then I believe you can still use the catheter after 3 years by itself.
No, it doesn't HAVE to be used with the catheter. Its functional individually as well.
Yup, the kit is a secondary packaging.
I suppose it depends to where we plan to sell it. Probably harder in the EU.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Medical Devices Shelf Life ---INDIA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M PPE shelf life Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K EU Shelf life claims for individual materials EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Disposables Shelf Life Expiration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C Medical Device Shelf life studies 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D Standard guide for shelf life determination of non sterile component with degradation materials Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
shrutisancheti Predicate device accelerated aging - 1 year of shelf life is already over Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Ed Panek Is Shelf Life Change a significant change? CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
T No Defined Shelf Life/Expiration Date - Disposable single-use, non-invasive, non-sterile Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
H Frequency of shelf life/sterilization/bench studies conducted on a medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
W Shelf life and accelerated aging ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Shelf life of molded and extruded pebax Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J 510k - Product shelf life validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
K Food Shelf Life Stability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
I Device Shelf Life Extension to 48 months without involving the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Y Shelf Life of Non-Sterile Disposable Drug Inhaler 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
shimonv Over-Labeling Sterile Packaging - Shelf Life 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Ethylene Oxide Sterile Implantable Medical Device Shelf Life Extension Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
N Sample Size Justification for Medical Device Shelf-Life Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
N Do ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 have requirements for Shelf-Life? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J EU Medical Device Class I - Stability (Shelf Life) Test EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Need ideas on managing Shelf Life Studies within an organization ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Class II Sterile Product Shelf Life Labeling - Should we do a recall? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
R FDA Shelf Life Requirements for EO Surgical gown 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
J Non-Sterile Class 2 Medical Device Shelf Life Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
P Does resin have expiry date (shelf life)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
C Best Method of Labeling Shelf Life Containers of Urethanes and Plastics Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
U Accelerated Aging for Shelf Life - Beginning Point Difference CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A Medical Device Shelf Life vs. Warranty Period Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
N Does Class I (exempt) device have requirements of Shelf Life and Expiration Dating ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Shelf Life, Expiration Date & Labeling AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Shelf Life Control and Identification of items that do not have Shelf Life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
6 Accelerated Shelf Life Testing Protocol for Juice Containing Beverages Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
B Does Nitric Acid Expire? (Shelf Life) Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
U Shelf Life Requirement for Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 26
E Is Shelf Life extension a substantial change? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S Shelf Life Determination - Sterility test (Stasis test) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
somashekar Authorization to use shelf life sensitive materials beyond its valid shelf life... Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
E Expiration Date on Label for different Countries (Short Shelf Life Product) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
E Aging/Shelf-Life Testing Responsibility 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
P What does 'Shelf Life' of Sterile Implantable Orthopaedic Devices mean? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P Sterile Medical Packaging and Shelf Life Validation Sample size ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
C How to Quantify Significant Change for a Shelf Life Stability Test Other Medical Device Related Standards 15
G How do you flow Shelf Life Requirements to your suppliers? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
M Shelf Life of Mineral Oil USP (put on cutting burrs before shipping) Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
SteveK How to validate Device Shelf Life? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
N Tracking Shelf-Life of Materials - Is there an easy way? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Expiry Dates on a Non-Sterile Class 1 Medical Device (5 Year Shelf Life). Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
D Shelf Life Extension - How to ReLabel Boxes? EU Medical Device Regulations 21