Shipping Additional Product ("Bundle") with a Class 2 Medical Device

We are introducing a class 2 medical device in the US for sale at the retail level. Our marketing department would like to "bundle" another product with this for sale to specialty markets. The second product would not be a medical product and would be shrink wrapped to the medical device. The medical device packaging would not be altered in any way and they would like to do this at our warehouse facility.

My question is, are there things the FDA would require the warehouse to do outside of what they would normally do for warehouse control because of this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
We are introducing a class 2 medical device in the US for sale at the retail level. Our marketing department would like to "bundle" another product with this for sale to specialty markets. The second product would not be a medical product and would be shrink wrapped to the medical device. The medical device packaging would not be altered in any way and they would like to do this at our warehouse facility.

My question is, are there things the FDA would require the warehouse to do outside of what they would normally do for warehouse control because of this?
Can someone help?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

M

MIREGMGR

As far as I know, the FDA hasn't established a rule on such product combinations.

The kit rules encompass product combinations where some of the products are non-devices. Normally in a kit there is a common purpose or use-relationship of some sort. In the absence of such a commonality I don't think they'd treat the combination as a kit, but if they did, then there would need to be a device-rules labeling solution for the kit itself, and your facility would need to be appropriately qualified for kit packing and labeling.

The FDA doesn't officially utilize the MDD as a precedent, but there are a few folks there who are thinking in harmonization directions. Your scenario might be seen to be similar to bundling a non-device accessory with a device, which under the MDD is addressed by considering the accessory to be regulated as if it's a device.

My guess is that at least for labeling reasons, you wouldn't want to end up with either of these interpretations.

You might want to call FDA DSMICA and ask them how FDA will view the situation, rather than doing it and running the risk that their take on it might be unfavorable.

MIREGMGR,

Thanks for the information. I will give them a call and see what they have to say. I agree, it is better to ask and prepare, then not to ask find out the hard way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bryan willemot Shipping Aerospace parts without Stress certs Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
Nicole Desouza Are Shipping Companies Suppliers? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Requirements for Layered Process Audits including Maintenance, Shipping, Receiving IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
smryan Shi##y Shipping Stories Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
K REF code and Consult IFU in Shipping carton boxes. EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Shipping Medical Devices to US before pre market clearance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
E CSR SHIPPING - Need suggestions for making SOP/WI for our shipping dept (automotive)... Customer and Company Specific Requirements 11
I IATF 16949 - 8.4.2.3 - Applicability to Shipping Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
G Medical Device export Shipping documents for US, EU and Asia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
C ISO 11607-1 Packaging System - Temperature and shipping conditioning Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
H Who is the Legal / Labeled Manufacturer? (Contract Manufacturers shipping to the EU) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M UN/Dot 38.3 Questions - Shipping Lithium Batteries Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
I Shipping Product from Canada to China - Where to obtain the Certificate of Origin? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
I Control of Outsourced Process - Shipping ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
R Warehouse and shipping/receiving activities need to be part of our scope? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
I Requirements for shipping items that fall under the Cartagena Protocol Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
S CS2 (Controlled Shipping Level) by GM - CB notified. What about other customers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Shipping Investigational-Use Only Devices to New Zealand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
L Is calibration required for weighing scales used for shipping purposes ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
C Need examples for Controlled Shipping I and II (CSL) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G Shipping of goods without customer inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
L Audit Nonconformity for FMEA - Transit, Warehousing and Shipping ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Shipping Stability for Class III IVD (Non Sterile) Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
L Client's Order Dock Inspection before Shipping Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
C Restrictions on shipping electronic goods into China China Medical Device Regulations 6
Sean Kelley Measurables for Shipping Process Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
R Is IMDS required for Shipping cap received from our suppliers RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 7
R Where are shipping & receiving processes covered under TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Shipping Liquids (Small Bottles of Ultrasound Gel) to Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Change in Medical Device Shipping Box - Transport Test Required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Controlled Shipping Level - Supplier reporting themselves to their Registrar Customer and Company Specific Requirements 10
A Flowcharts in General and Flowcharts for 7.5.1 Production and Shipping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
L Shipping Medical Devices and Pharmaceuticals Direct to Physicians - Puerto Rico US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Shelf Life of Mineral Oil USP (put on cutting burrs before shipping) Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
K Desiccants & Humidity Control inside ocean going Shipping Containers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
T Outsourcing Shipping Product directly from our Warehouse to the End Customer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Is Controlled Shipping requirement Sampling Based or 100% Inspection? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
A Shipping Procedure template - To include picked, verified and shipped by information Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
L Writing a Shipping and Receiving Procedure - Designated Warehouse Locations ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Brizilla Control Plans and the Shipping Process FMEA and Control Plans 13
S Shipping Release Documentation Samples Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Q Shipping Measurements (Measurables) other than On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Outside Manufacturer = non-ISO (Outsourced Processing and Shipping) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S ISO/TS 16949:2009 and Shipping Scale Calibration Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K When to do Final Release if Medical Device goes off site prior to shipping? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Root Cause Failure Analysis of a Shipping Error Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 37
Q Control plans for Incoming, Warehouse and Shipping process FMEA and Control Plans 5
Marc Cyber Cafe in a Shipping Container After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
1 Putting Quality in place before shipping product Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
C Shipping Validation Standard for International Shipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 3