Shipping Validation of Non-Sterile Parts?

ga2qa23

Involved In Discussions
Hello all, this is a bit of a long post but I think a lot of people could benefit from clarifying these subjects. I was reviewing requirements for shipping validation of non-sterile parts for medical devices (in the DHF) and process validation (in the DMR). There are some situations that just aren't mentioned by any regulations/guidances (neither by US FDA nor internationally):
  • If you ship parts during the manufacturing process, then do you need to 'validate' the shipping method first? For example: you could have subcontract manufacturer A who manufactures a subassembly (containing sensitive electronics), and it then gets shipped to subcontract manufacturer B who performs work to convert it to a full assembly. In this situation, I believe that you do not need to perform a shipping validation for transport. Sure, you can do a choose an adequate packaging, but the 'evidence' that the shipping was good was if your end verification/validation of the finished assembly is good.
  • If a subcontract manufacturer sends you a spare part assembly to store in your own warehouse, does that require shipping validation for the spare part? I am on the fence. I believe that if you conduct a verification check after the shipping, or if you do your testing for "manufacturing process validation" after the part gets shipped to your own warehouse, then the shipping process itself doesn't need to be validated. Whatever happened during the shipment is 'factored into' the later validation testing.
  • When you have a stockpile of spare parts in your warehouse, and you need to send a spare part to a customer, do you need to perform shipping validation of that spare part? I just can't find any regulations/guidance that make the distinction between requiring shipping validation of a finished medical device versus its spare parts.
  • Do any of the above situations matter whether it's just a piece of steel (like a screw or non-sterile probe) versus a delicate assembly with electronics inside? It's my understanding that you can make a risk-based determination that simple steel parts never need shipping validation, whereas delicate assemblies would always require shipping validation. But there's just no guidance out there on the subject.
I didn't read anything related when I read either the FDA Guidance "Process Validation: General Principles and Practices" dated Jan 2011 or the FDA Webinar "Quality Systems Regulation Process Validation" dated Sep 30, 2015. I'd be glad to read through any standards or regulations/guidances that may apply here. Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Was hoping someone else would jump in but since no takers yet, here goes.

You're responsible for ensuring (and I'm quoting from 13485 here) product is protected "from alteration, contamination, or damage
when exposed to expected conditions and hazards during processing, storage, handling, and distribution..." Clearly, that's the driver for product packaging validation. It's completely out of your custody at that point so it needs to be adequately protected.

As you point out, there are no requirements established for other packaging / transportation aspects. For internal transports, the materials remain in your custody and you are the experts in knowing if something is damaged and presumably have controls to prevent nonconforming product (resulting from damages to materials during internal shipments) from being distributed. So I can see a rationale for not doing shipping validation there.

As you note, you can take a risk-based approach to shipping components to a customer. The conservative approach, of course, would be to validate, but I think not validating packaging for a rather indestructible component would be defensible.

ga2qa23

Involved In Discussions
I see, thank you. I guess there really is no guidance/regulation out there regarding shipping spare parts to customers. This is a bit disappointing because it's such a common activity in the industry that I thought there would at least be some white papers on the subject.

I supposed I really should perform shipping validation of the electrical component, when it is being shipped to a customer as a spare part by itself. Do you think I could get away with literally just mailing it across the country and then mailing it back to me, then doing a visual/functional test? Or would I need to perform a full validation per the standards ASTM D4332 and ASTM D4169? It's just a spare part but it's my most sensitive one.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
I've successfully used FedEx testing for shipping validations. They have their own take on the ASTM standards but I think the testing is the same. It's free except for the shipping costs.

ga2qa23

Involved In Discussions
Have you done an in-house shipping validation, where you just shipped a box across the country and back using FedEx?

Was it for a Class 2 device? Did FDA ever look at your shipping validation methods and were OK with it?

I ask because ASTM D4169 is an FDA-recognized consensus standard, making me think that it's the only way to go for Class 2 and Class 3 devices. I can understand if an in-house FedEx shipping validation is OK for a Class 1 device, but I didn't think it's also acceptable for higher-risk devices.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
No, because that's not a controlled test - you can't be sure of the stresses it underwent. You can see the test types they offer here and you can drill down to see how it compares with the ASTM standard. If I recall, the test conditions are suitably similar. I've done this for Class II devices and no push-back yet.

(NOTE: I think it's free if you have an account with them.)

ga2qa23

Involved In Discussions
Oh! I understand now, thank you! I had thought you meant literally just ship a package via FedEx via plane/truck and back. But in reality, FedEx actually offers formal testing services that comply with the FDA-recognized consensus standards. They are a formal testing laboratory. This is great news!

ga2qa23

Involved In Discussions
Hi, I just wanted to give a quick update. I confirmed with FedEx that the free FedEx testing is not complaint to either FDA-recognized standard ISTA 3A or ASTM D4169-16. The "FedEx 6A" testing protocol is based on ISTA 3A but FedEx adds their own testing differences based on how FedEx sees their own packages shipped typically (stacked on top of each other, etc.) The purpose of the FedEx 6A testing is to 'approve' your package when shipped via FedEx, for claim purposes in case it gets damaged during transit with them. So just fair warning, I'm not sure if you did something different than what I had described.

Junn1992

Quite Involved in Discussions
I had a great time reading through the thread, will be applicable for EU MDR as well.

Article 23

"shall ensure that the item does not adversely affect the safety and performance of the device. Supporting evidence shall be kept available for the competent authorities of the Member States."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
C Shipping Validation Standard for International Shipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Validation of SAP for ERP - Inventory, shipping, and monitoring expiration dates Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 18
K Medical Device Shipping Container Label Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
XRAY_3121 Drop Shipping Legend Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
D Supplier OTD Slip Due to Shipping Delays or Natural Disaster AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Awais How to mistake proof - Shipping Orders with Shortages - Product Quantity Accountability mismatch with Job Traveller? Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
V PPQ Shipping into US 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
M FDA Requirements for Investigational Devices - Clinical Investigation & Shipping Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Logistic/shipping companies as external providers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M WI vs SOP - Shipping/Receiving Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T B2C Medical Device Shipping across the US Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Q Standards for Shipping by Sea US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Supplier Controlled Shipping (GM CS1) Condition Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Shipping and recall questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Software bug fixes after shipping a product EU Medical Device Regulations 3
bryan willemot Shipping Aerospace parts without Stress certs Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
Nicole Desouza Are Shipping Companies Suppliers? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Requirements for Layered Process Audits including Maintenance, Shipping, Receiving IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
smryan Shi##y Shipping Stories Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
K REF code and Consult IFU in Shipping carton boxes. EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Shipping Medical Devices to US before pre market clearance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
E CSR SHIPPING - Need suggestions for making SOP/WI for our shipping dept (automotive)... Customer and Company Specific Requirements 11
I IATF 16949 - 8.4.2.3 - Applicability to Shipping Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
G Medical Device export Shipping documents for US, EU and Asia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
C ISO 11607-1 Packaging System - Temperature and shipping conditioning Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
H Who is the Legal / Labeled Manufacturer? (Contract Manufacturers shipping to the EU) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M UN/Dot 38.3 Questions - Shipping Lithium Batteries Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
I Shipping Product from Canada to China - Where to obtain the Certificate of Origin? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
I Control of Outsourced Process - Shipping ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
R Warehouse and shipping/receiving activities need to be part of our scope? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
I Requirements for shipping items that fall under the Cartagena Protocol Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
S CS2 (Controlled Shipping Level) by GM - CB notified. What about other customers? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Shipping Investigational-Use Only Devices to New Zealand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
L Is calibration required for weighing scales used for shipping purposes ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
C Need examples for Controlled Shipping I and II (CSL) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G Shipping of goods without customer inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
L Audit Nonconformity for FMEA - Transit, Warehousing and Shipping ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Shipping Stability for Class III IVD (Non Sterile) Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
L Client's Order Dock Inspection before Shipping Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
C Restrictions on shipping electronic goods into China China Medical Device Regulations 6
S Measurables for Shipping Process Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
R Is IMDS required for Shipping cap received from our suppliers RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 7
R Where are shipping & receiving processes covered under TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Shipping Liquids (Small Bottles of Ultrasound Gel) to Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Change in Medical Device Shipping Box - Transport Test Required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Controlled Shipping Level - Supplier reporting themselves to their Registrar Customer and Company Specific Requirements 10
A Flowcharts in General and Flowcharts for 7.5.1 Production and Shipping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
L Shipping Medical Devices and Pharmaceuticals Direct to Physicians - Puerto Rico US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Shelf Life of Mineral Oil USP (put on cutting burrs before shipping) Manufacturing and Related Processes 19