Shop Drawings that Integrate Information from a Database

B

biederboat

Hi All,

My 2nd post in about 3 years! The job shop I work at presently has shop drawings that are created so that information can be presented in a standardized format. We produce parts for a lot of customers that are all vary similar to each other (dimension, material and pattern variations). The customer drawings tend to have too much information on them and none of the critical information the shop needs.

The present drawings are created using Visio and become part of the traveler. As I move this company towards having an ERP system (which they do not have today), I'm realizing that all much of the information on the drawing could be tied to a database (e.g. linking the Visio drawing to records & fields in Access which appears to be easily acheivable).

Has anyone does this and does it create problems for controlling rev levels? We are a long ways from doing this but I have an opportunity to start collecting a lot of the information and would like to do so if it makes sense.

My thought on the rev level is that this could be a field that was incremented anytime a change was made to the record of the part number and we would then have a release process to ensure the shop was aware and any necessary "NPI" issues were address.

I'm mainly interested in hearing from anyone who has done something similar and what the successes/challenges have been. The main advantage to all of this would be having "single source" information, at least as used in-house.

Thanks!
BB

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
H

Hodgepodge

Hi All,

My 2nd post in about 3 years! The job shop I work at presently has shop drawings that are created so that information can be presented in a standardized format. We produce parts for a lot of customers that are all vary similar to each other (dimension, material and pattern variations). The customer drawings tend to have too much information on them and none of the critical information the shop needs.
Keeping things simple is always a good idea.

The present drawings are created using Visio and become part of the traveler. As I move this company towards having an ERP system (which they do not have today), I'm realizing that all much of the information on the drawing could be tied to a database (e.g. linking the Visio drawing to records & fields in Access which appears to be easily acheivable).

Has anyone does this and does it create problems for controlling rev levels? We are a long ways from doing this but I have an opportunity to start collecting a lot of the information and would like to do so if it makes sense.
All of the information on the drawing? That sounds like a lot of information to keep track of. How are you thinking about using all of this information? Seems cumbersome.

My thought on the rev level is that this could be a field that was incremented anytime a change was made to the record of the part number and we would then have a release process to ensure the shop was aware and any necessary "NPI" issues were address.
If you have all your planning and notes in one document, a router or traveler for example, use a revision letter to track changes made to the planning/notes. Keep a revision table on the first page of your router to see what was changed and why. This keeps all the planning in one place and transparent. Keep track of the revision level in your database and who was responsible for planning/changes.

I'm mainly interested in hearing from anyone who has done something similar and what the successes/challenges have been. The main advantage to all of this would be having "single source" information, at least as used in-house.

Thanks!
BB
Single source information is a good way to keep obsolete documents from being used. It is easy to overcomplicate things. Keep your system simple in the beginning.

B

biederboat

Thanks, "all of the information" does sound like a lot but, in reality, is very little. My thought is that the drawing would ideally contain all the info that would generally not change job to job (material, tool used, etc.). I would say it's less than 10 data points total as these are relatively simple parts. The router would contain all the information that does change job to job (ship date, qty, ship method, etc.).

BB

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B "Shop Floor" Drawings vs. Design Drawings - First Article and In-Process Inspections Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
Awais Taking Pictures of Outbound Material - In the Manufacturing Shop floor Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T How should I approach REACH, CM, etc. as a job shop? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 18
T ISO 9001:2015 - Small Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
qualprod Automation in manufacturing - Print Shop ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
F AS9100D Process Matrix for a small cnc machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Starting from scratch - a plethora of challenges for a new Lumber Mill Machine Shop Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
T EN 10204 3.1 Inspection Certificate - Machine Shop Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
qualprod Criteria for print shop - How do you consider the cycle time in a print shop? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 21
P Paint shop vs PPAP requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
apestate Inexpensive Gage Blocks for small aerospace startup shop General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M AS9100d (section 7.1.3) example of compliance in machine shop environment. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
E Small one man shop with QMS (shoptech e2) | AS9100 cert help AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 46
B ISO 9001:2015 for a Small Machine Shop need Resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H AS9100D Cert question - Small machine shop - Where can I buy a certificate? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Need Continuous improvement Suggestions - Small (30 of us) all-CNC machine shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
D Number of Audit Days - AS9100D Transition for a Small Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M AS9100D excluding Design and Development - Small Job Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
T AS9100 Shop Travelers - Six Questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
M Industry Standards - Sheet Metal a Machine Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Suggestions on Inadequate Resources in a Small Machine Shop Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
D Implementing 5S for Multiple Shop Floor Layout Workstations Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
A What KPI's do you use at Shop Floor Level and Team Boards? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
M API Monogram License for a Small Machine Shop Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
D AS9100 Routing (Shop Traveler) requirements per 7.5.1 g and h AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J QMS and ISO 9001 for a Single Person Machine Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 24
S Job travelers through a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Proper Gauging - GD&T - Attribute gage to check true positioning on the shop floor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
A Start Up of a small AS9100 Machine Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Suggestions for a 100% Paperless Manufacturing Shop Floor Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
Ron Rompen MSA Studies of Instruments in a Paint Shop Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S How will ISO 9001 help the machinists in a very small Machine Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
Q KPI's (key performance indicators) for a Print shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q In a Print Shop the Products are Special Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Internal Audit requirements in a One Man Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R Gage Identification Methods in a Job Shop Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
P Work Area (Production Shop Floor) Training Matrix Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
B Machine Shop Yield and Cost - Productivity, Yield and Absorption Performance Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Start New Machine Shop OR BUY Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 9
Q Help With Airflow Control in a mid sized Job Shop in Southwest Florida Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B How did you grow your QMS in a Job Shop? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
B Plating Shop - Forums specifically related to the plating / metal finishing industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Determing Machine Capability in a High Mix, Low Volume Sheet Metal Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Current Inspection Standard for AS9100 Certified Job Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
H ISO Quality Procedures for a Small Shop Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 44
M Machine Shop Process Instructions (Traveler) question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J Use of PPMs in Low Volume Machine Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5