Short Run - Low Volume Cpk Calculation

T

tohbin

Cpk Calculation

We report Cpk monthly for our process. In order to report the Cpk, we must have at least 25 data points on the chart (say Xbar-R chart). But sometimes volume in certain month is so low that we won't be able to get 25 points on the chart. Is it right to calculate Cpk even though my data point is less than 25 or should I get previous month data with the current month in order to make it 25?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
Process Capability calculation is an ongoing thing. If you decide to calculate on the basis of 25 points, at any given point of time, you can take the last 25 points.

T

tohbin

But if I use the last 25 points which may include points from previous month in the case when I do not have enough points in the present month, would that be reflective of my current month Cpk? Or because it is an ongoing calculation, it doesn't matter as long as I have 25 points?

But then comes the question if I have more than 25 points in the current month, I won't have problem with Cpk calculation. Then, the previous month data will not be included. Isn't this in contrast to the practice above?

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
I do not know what is the reason for reporting Cpk on a 'monthly' basis. What are the chances that you will have exactly 25 subgroups/points in a month? Sometimes you will have less and sometimes more than 25. In my opinion, Cpk should be calculated over a 'horizon' that is independent of calendar days. In your case, the horizon would be last 25 points. With every new subgroup added, you calculate the Cpk based on the last 25 points. This way you will be able to monitor the improvement ( or deterioration) in your Cpk.

Do you calculate new control limits every month?

-Atul

Last edited:
T

tohbin

No, I don't calculate control limits every month. The reason for calculating Cpk every month is for the purpose of monitoring the improvement of the process month by month.

D

David Mullins

tohbin,
you haven't told us your calc method.
I'm always dubious of how people use x&R charts to calculate other things.
Even computer programs use different calc methods, and these often aren't aligned with the calc method endorsed by the auto manufacturers.

CPK calc methods inlcude:

(1-k)xCp
or
Cp = (USL - LSL)/6xStd.Dev
Cpl = (Mean - LSL)/3xStd.dev
Cpu = (USL-Mean)/3xStd.dev
Cpk = Min(Cpl,Cpu)
or
Cpk is calculated using RBar/d2 or SBar/c4 for Sigma in the denominator of you equation. This calculation for Sigma REQUIRES the process to be in a state of statistical control. If not in control, your calculation of Sigma (and hence Cpk) is useless - it is only valid when in-control.

What are you using?

T

tohbin

I'm using the following method.
Cpl = (Mean - LSL)/3xStd.dev
Cpu = (USL-Mean)/3xStd.dev
Cpk = Min(Cpl,Cpu)

Has this got anything to do with data points less than 25 in a month?

Tohbin,
I had the same problem at a previous company I worked for. Sometimes it would take 3 months to get a sample size of 25.
The method I used was to:
1- Select ten parts from the run,
2- measure the specified dim.,
3- if the average ,+/- the range of the ten parts was within specification I would accept the parts,
4- if not, 100% inspect the lot back to the last point that the parts were accepted.

This metod was acceptable to our auditors and to our big 3 customers.
You might also find this method in the Juran Handbook.

Additional Comment:
I did not read your second response.
If what you want is to report Cpk, then report the figures that you have with the way the process is run. If you haven't run for a mth, then report the same figures as the previous month.
Remember Cpk is on-going over time for processes that are in control. For it to be an efective method of reporting, the data should be gathered from a continous running lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Al Dyer

Sam,

If it took 3 months to get the 25 piece sample how often do you ship that product?

How could you get the numbers?

Was it a line dedicated to making 100 parts/year?

If not did you set up a capability study every time you set up the line?

Somethings not making sense here??

More help with the details Sam?

"If it took 3 months to get the 25 piece sample how often do you ship that product?
I was referring to the 25 subgroups of 5 parts each.

How could you get the numbers?
1- When you have reached the 25 sugroups you can report Cpk, from that point on you can report Cpk even if you only add one subgroup at a time, however, if there are three/four weeks between entries then it won't give you that warm fuzzy for the process right now, So;
2- Select the ten parts,measure and accept the lot if the avg. +/- range is within drawing spec.

Was it a line dedicated to making 100 parts/year?

No - 600 different parts, from a few hundred per year to 10000 per year.

If not did you set up a capability study every time you set up the line?
No, just report Cpk. A complete would be done at the completion of each 25 subgroups.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P SPC Short Run Advice of a Stamping Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Standardized P Chart for Short Run Production Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
B How to Demonstrate Stability and Repeatability in very Short Run Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
D IMR (Individuals and Moving Range) Chart for Short-Run SPC - How much data to include Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
R What is a "DNOM Chart" in reference to Short Run SPC? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Analysis of the figures from Dr Wheeler's 'Short Run SPC' Using Minitab Software 3
S Book for SPC Short Run - Recommendations Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 12
dsalcido Short Run Cpk and Minitab Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
oldqamanager Short Run SPC Chart Template needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
N Which is more appropriate Regular or Short Run control charting? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
E How to Effectively Apply Short Run SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 33
P Short Run Charts - Sample size N=1 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
K Short run Z-bar & W charts - Can anyone tell me the formula used? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Multivariable Control Chart - Target, Short Run, Group charts, T2, etc. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
A Short Run Capability - Batch quantity is 15,000 to 20,000 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Short run SPC Seminars? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
M Short Run SPC with Tool Wear Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T PPAPs for job shops that produce short run assemblies (i.e 100 to 10,000 units) APQP and PPAP 9
L Short Run Mfg Seeking QS9000 Certification QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
S Precontrol and Process Capability - CNC Lathes that run small batches - Short Runs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
Ajit Basrur Definitions - Short-term and Brief exposure Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
supadrai My short yet eventful stint as a regulatory affairs lawyer dude is coming to an end! Career and Occupation Discussions 1
G Uncertainty of staging a short line scale standard on longer measuring machine? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
A How to systemically improve product quality in short-term and long-term basis? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
B Short term vs Long term Capability - We ship millions of parts in a year Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
A Short Term vs. Long Term SPC Study - Where is Cp and Cpk Defined Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
R Height gauge to measure short hard to access heights General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Balancing between Strategic Objectives & Short Term Priorities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
E Short Case Studies - Major/Minor Nonconformance, Observation or OK? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
kedarg6500 Sample Size for Short Term & Long Term Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
B Quality-related short term course in Perth Australia Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
W Supply Voltage Condition for Transformer O/L and S/C (open & short circuit) testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
E Expiration Date on Label for different Countries (Short Shelf Life Product) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Fender1 How to comply with ISO 9001 and provide quick/short lead-time orders? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
P Understanding IEC 60601-1:2005, Clause 8.1 b) - Short Circuiting Double Insulation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 13
H Looking for short videos that cover what ISO 9001 is Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
R Are multi-faults needed? Effects of a Short Circuit IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
R Should the fault tests pass if temperature goes high in short time? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
S Aspect vs. Impact and Hazard vs. Risk - Short/clear explanation & example Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 11
S Pp/Ppk & Cp/Cpk - Which is appropriate for Long/Short Term Study? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 20
D Short Quality Cases for my Quality Workshop so I can make a Case Study Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
E Error Proofing to prevent Length Short - CNC Turning Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Sidney Vianna Short notice audits - Have you been through or triggered one? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
R Short-term vs. Long-term Variation Six Sigma 5
J Short Term and Long Term Quality Objectives AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
M Gage R&R Short Study vs. Long Study vs. Other Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 25
A Injection Mold 100% Visual Inspection - Short Shots and Debris not being found Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 22
A Normal Deviation - short cut/method to calculate sigma Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Chennaiite Interpretation of Short term vs. Long term Capability Studies Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Any Bridge Courses or short term courses available which helps the Career Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3