Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory
Social Distancing - It's not just YOUR life - It's ALL of OUR lives!
Me <——————— 6 Feet ———————-> You

Shortening Core Processes ISO 9001:2008

Q

QAMTY

Hi all
I´m reposting the same issue but now with the source information
is an extract of the next book:

What do you think about this author says regarding managing less processes , supposedly because economical issues and less ressources, any thoughs on this?

I´m attaching the figure 1.2

Thanks

From the book Jay Schlickman “Quality Manual system design” 9001:2000

1.2.1 Core Processes
In the development of an effective QMS, it is critical that all of the organization’s
core competencies (processes) are defined so that the overall management
process is without gaps.
The interrelationships of the core processes form a spider web, and voids in
the web are places where productivity and profits usually fall through. Personnel
instinctively understand the workings of their own turf. The real problems
arise when we seek to integrate turf-to-turf activities. A missed web ultimately
results in a turf-to-turf conflict.
Figure 1.2 is an example of a typical set of enterprise core competencies
that require a process document. A process document can be defined as a
time-based description of the process that can be expressed in a flow chart or
discussed in tabular form or in the form of a procedure.

Figure 1.2
Typical core
competencies
(processes and
subprocesses).

In Figure 1.2, there are eight core competencies defined. Core competency
number 4 (operations) contains not only an additional core competency—
quality assurance and regulatory affairs (QA&RA)—but also contains a
number of subprocesses (e.g., manufacturing). As a result, the operations
process charting would consist of an overall process that links up with the subprocesses. In this manner, all of the core competencies can be captured to
form a complete QMS process. The exact choice of core competencies—the resultant processes and subprocesses—is somewhat subjective and is a function of the economic impact of the function on the total organizational effectiveness. For example, the management information systems (MIS) block under finance could just as well be placed under manufacturing, as it represents any number of computer systems that are used to analyze and control the enterprise’s productivity and profitability.

Attachments

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
What do you think about this author says regarding managing less processes , supposedly because economical issues and less ressources, any thoughs on this?
First, I'm not sure how 'typical' this organization is. Quality plays a role in R&D and Service so I have more typically seen QA/RA with a direct line to executive (maybe I don't get out much?).

Economic realities do have to be dealt with! The old adage about "doing more with less" certainly holds true these days. So the best way to ensure everything required gets addressed is to pare out all the unnecessary activity.

There's been considerable discussion in the Cove about "canned" procedures (i.e., a 'canned' QMS that can be applied out of the box). My experience is that canned procedures define processes for the worst case (e.g., a large company). I've seen many smaller companies try to apply these procedures and there's just so much overhead defined that it's difficult to comply. In one case I saw a company's procedures called for more committees than they had employees! In another case, a company's procedures had something like a dozen signatures required to approve a document and that pretty much left out only the weekend cleaning crew!

So yes, a company needs to continually review and update their procedures to ensure that they align with the resources and economic condition. I didn't see in the post where the author talked about managing less process so I can only guess this was what was intended.

I like the analogy of conflicts arising as a result of voids in the web. That is something I frequently see.

Top Bottom