Shortening processes complying with process approach ISO 9001

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hello everybody
Please give some insights regarding how to define into the management system
the less quantity of processes but complying with the process approach?
This is the case.
A company for manufacturing copper electrode for grounding.
If strictly I have to depict every process , I´ll end up with a lot of processes, if additionally
I include the management processes and support processes.
What will be the best method to manage this issue?
the next processes exist:
1-Cutting long pieces, 2-special cuttings (chamfer, plain,etc), 3-Stamping, 4-cleaning type 1 and finishing, 5-cleaning type 2, 6-chemical treatment,
7-Surface Silver treatment. 8-packaging, 9- Shipping and they work in sequence.
Before this happened, sales, Engineering, Purchasing, Quality and some others, were involved.
I´ll have about 30 processes, if they have to be included in the management system will cause
a lot of extra work, quantity of audits, dense process maps, procedures, kpis, etc.
Is not a big company, 15 employees, most of people wear several caps.
Usually, the same person performs 3 or 4 processes.
How to comply to the standard but what is most important, to the company, how to define
the minimal quantity of processes but keeping control of the performance of all of them?
It is clear that each process has clear inputs and outputs, In my opinion is not possible to
merge some of them into a new one.
Could I define Phase 1 process, including into it processes from 1 to 4? as sub processes
and measuring the performance of the sub processes ? not the phase 1 process?.
Thus, in my process map, I only would show management processes processes Phase 1, 2 , 3,
as boxes and into them, the sub-processes, also the management, the support, and the rest which
normally exist in the product realization.
If you have some Ideas please share something.
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

the next processes exist:
1-Cutting long pieces, 2-special cuttings (chamfer, plain,etc), 3-Stamping, 4-cleaning type 1 and finishing, 5-cleaning type 2, 6-chemical treatment,
7-Surface Silver treatment. 8-packaging, 9- Shipping and they work in sequence.
You could call this sequence all one process ("Manufacturing" or "Production", etc.) which happens to have multiple steps in the process. (Some might consider Shipping a separate process.)

There was a recent thread discussing that it was not required to have a graphical process map; 4.4.1 could be satisfied by defining interactions in a table, a text document, in the separate documents for each process, etc.

Edit: Here is the thread.

Bifften

Involved In Discussions
It sounds like you are just describing a production process as said by @Tagin . I would suggest a documented overview (Process Map) with Work Instructions / Standard Operating Procedures sitting below for each step - IF required.

There is no requirement to document everything... consider if it is necessary for intended result.

qualprod

It sounds like you are just describing a production process as said by @Tagin . I would suggest a documented overview (Process Map) with Work Instructions / Standard Operating Procedures sitting below for each step - IF required.

There is no requirement to document everything... consider if it is necessary for intended result.
Thanks

qualprod

Thanks Bifften
Well for me the main issue is:
1-For CB´s , when quoting an audit, they count the number of processes, I can declare one (just production) or all the sub.- processes.
2- When performing internal audits, at auditing processes, to audit just one or all the sub-processes?

For the map I dont see a problem, I can show both, (the main production) or all the sub processes as boxes.

Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Shortening Core Processes ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
L Purge - Injection Molding Processes Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Is Validation of Plating Processes required and who is responsible? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 10
Stoic Manual soldering processes - 100% verifiable, or always requiring validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
BeaBea How Many Processes should be created for each Department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
S How do you record your Nonconforming product? Batch production of staged processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
J A tale of two processes. Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
GreatNate Where to get a KPI dashboard for QMS processes Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
U What is the process for making updates to our Processes? Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
G Control Plan - Include the processes for each sub component? APQP and PPAP 2
U Changes to Internal Processes and Risk Evaluation - Mitigations Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 10
L Special Processes - Technical reason concerning torque - Anaerobic compounds Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
D How to Identify the Risks and Opportunities required for QMS Processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
L AS9100 and Agile development processes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
S NADCAP approval for Conventional Machining and Chemical processes - need assistance AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 10
M Inputs on definition of very similar processes for multi site audit sample - IAF MD1 2018 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Specific processes - Construction management field Service Industry Specific Topics 2
I Sampling processes - Who must define the AQL level? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
Q Write down same nonconformity in several processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
J ISO 9001 8.4.1 - Determining controls applied to externally provided processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T ISO 13485 8.2.5. Monitoring and measurement of quality management system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G Infrastructure and Environment for the operation of processes (ISO 9001 7.1.3 & 7.1.4) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
S Outsourced processes how to interact with projects - We are an governmental department with 2 persons ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D How about another torque discussion? Assembly processes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Yet another torque question... Assembly processes AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
M Informational USFDA Draft Guidance – Review and Update of Device Establishment Inspection Processes and Standards Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M APQC PCF (Process Classification Framework) and ISO 9001 - Processes Based Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Calculate number of people in processes, considering cycle time/takt time = quantity of people Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
M FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
T ISO 13485:2016 - Processes exempt from process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
M Hundreds of Processes! How to simplify ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J ISO 13485 - 7.5.2 cleanliness , 6.4.2 validation of special processes, and 6.4.2 contamination ability to be exempt? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Quality System Processes without Documented Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 39
M Can I audit processes I've established but do not implement or maintain? Internal Auditing 6
B CQI-15 Welding System Assessment - Required for all of the welding processes we have? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Case study - If the restaurant (ISO 9001:2015 certified) was run by 2 persons covering cooking and purchasing processes (Mother and Father) supported ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
MichaelDRoach ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2c)3) - What process or processes is this focused on? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D IATF 16949: Do we have too many processes? Are they all the same? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
K ISO 14001:2015 clause 8.1 on outsourced processes ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
Q Control of outsourced processes - drop shipped products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M AS9100d Controlling External Provided Processes (purchasing 8.4) - The customer want us to use supplier X AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
Q Interaction of Processes IOP NCR Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
R Auditing support and management processes General Auditing Discussions 7
A Operating criteria for production processes - ISO 14001 Cl. 8.1 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
Q Questions about the Risk-based approach to QMS processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
R What is the granularity of your processes at Turtle Diagrams? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S How many QMS processes and procedures? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2