Should a company create different SOPs for ISO14971?

J

JeanG

Hi, All
I am very new to ISO14971, i am currently creating a risk management manual, i wonder do we need all detailed procedures like QMS, such as risk plan SOP, risk analysis procedures, risk control procedures, and risk management report procedures? are these all necessary? How do audit check the ISO14971?

Many thanks for your help here.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Should company create different SOPs for ISO14971?

ISO 14971 provides the framework for risk management. You do need to document how you implement that framework at your company. The classic example is the risk matrix: will you do a 5x5 matrix, what values do you assign, and where are the thresholds.

The depth to which you take your internal procedures is up to you. Mostly, I've seen procedures that don't get into too much detail but provide sufficient structure for how the company implements 14971. Generally, it's a single SOP.

Regarding the auditing question, BSI (no affiliation) recently gave a webinar on what they're directing their auditors to look at regarding the (somewhat recent) harmonized EN 14971. It's available for free, on-demand (https://bsi.learncentral.com/shop/C...71:+2012+Risk+Management+and+MDD+Requirements) (again, no affiliation and not an endorsement). That might give you a little insight as to what an auditor might want to see - but focused only on the deviations as a result of harmonization.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Should Quality be an independent organization in aerospace company? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
A Feel unappreciated by my company - What should I do? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
A Company Safety Culture Assessment - How should I structure the Surveys & Interviews? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 7
A Gamma Validation - What should a Third Party Irradiation/Gamma Company Supply EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M How should the Lead Auditor react if there is an argument with the company? General Auditing Discussions 10
J How many Quality Objectives should a company have ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
C How should I establish Quality Systems in my small company Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
J Quality Policy - should a brief description of the company & its product be included? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T What should a quality engineer be doing in a company (manufacturing)? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
H Keeping a Stable Process for a company, any suggestions? Should I being doing more? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
P What factors should I consider so as to check how "lean" a company is? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
K Customer survey question service - What a company should be willing to pay IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Hopefully supply to GM - What should a small 4 person company do IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Wes Bucey Sarbanes-Oxley (should your company stay public?) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
RoxaneB Several Key Indicators a Company Should Consider Using Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 40
J Which quality standard should I use in this company? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 17
S Internal Audit Team - The number of internal auditors a company should have Internal Auditing 6
I Should our company be ISO 9001 certified or QS-9000 certified? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
Marc Customer advocacy should be contained in the company business plan QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
J Mission Statement - Employees should know our company Mission Statement verbatim? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
M Should DoC be updated every time Technical Documentation is revised? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F How often should Gage R&R's be updated? Is there a recommended time-frame? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Which certificate should I start with from ASQ, CQIA or CQE? (or should I take something else) Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
E Please help! ! I AM FRASTRATED SO MUCH! Should inactive ingredient be included in the unit formula if it is removed during the manufacturing process? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
I IEC 60812 or ISO 14971 for PFMEA? What should we use? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
qualprod Do sum of results of quality objectives should met a high level goal? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
F Should I perform several Gage R&R for every caliper to cover all specs range of use? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
E Opening meeting for Third-Party Audit--Who should say what? General Auditing Discussions 22
8 MSA--Should I Use Parts or Gage Pins? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B Should I buy IEC 62304:2006, IEC 62304:2006/AMD 1:2015 or both? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W "Accurate to ±2%" means "64% of measurements should be within 2% of the actual value"? US Medical Device Regulations 4
H Should we stop inspecting a part if its never been rejected? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
D What distributor requirement should we (manufacturer) require from the Distributor? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Should there be another column in the Optimization section (step 6) of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form? FMEA and Control Plans 1
C By when should harmonized standards be complied with? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
W Strategy for determining which components from a system should be "ME EQUIPMENT" -- home healthcare environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
B Documented information - Should be controlled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Is engineering a process and should it have its own process turtle? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Which MDCG Document should I use for PMS Plan and PSUR? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Who should quality representative report to? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
H When should the first PSUR be issued? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I If i do not want to be an initial importer should i register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B UKRP to what level should you audit Class I Technical Documentation? UK Medical Device Regulations 0
C When should you quit programming? Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 9
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
Ed Panek External Standards List - Should this document include previously revised standards? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T How should I approach REACH, CM, etc. as a job shop? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 18
A Should we assign the PRRC before the date of application of MDR (26 May 2021)? EU Medical Device Regulations 0