Should calibration range of Oscilloscope cover the test ranges?

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
I have this question on the calibration of oscilloscopes.

In performing an internal audit, we’ve come across a couple of instances where oscilloscope calibration ranges may not appropriately cover certain test ranges. As these are complex test instruments, calibration service providers perform a subset of tests outlined in the manufacturer’s calibration procedure, after which the device is certificated as “meets manufacturer’s specifications”. Our concern is that this subset of tests does not explicitly call out some of the ranges we are testing in.

As an example, DC gain accuracy is tested at ranges from 1mV/div up to 1V/div, but our tests are performed at 5V/div. There rationale may be that if oscilloscopes are within calibration at the lowest extremes, it implies that they are within manufacturer’s specifications at higher settings – this seems reasonable based on the internal workings of oscilloscopes, but we’re curious as to how others address this situation.

Thank you Covers

:thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Re: Should calibration range of Oscilloscope cover the test ranges ?

This is the same issue I had with handbook 44 for scales. They allow large scales to be tested at only a fraction of their full range.

If there is a detailed (validated) test plan where it has been demonstrated that the high range doesn't need to be verified, I might accept abbreviated testing.

Otherwise, I think an instrument needs to be tested at points that includes the use range.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin

Other than the scales aspect which I am not familiar with, I agree with Brad but hesitated to reply because I have no experience in oscilloscopes in testing since the 1980's working at the then Cincinnati Electronics. And knowing you're as knowledgeable as I am in calibration, I figured you know my understanding of "standard" acceptance of calibration in the range of measurement use.

If it were me, I would contact the manufacturer to get their justification. What you say does sound reasonable, but at the very least I'd have something in writing to back it up as Brad says.

I was thinking there was someone who visits here who has dealt with electronic test equipment but I can't remember who.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

Yes Marc, we have written an identical email to the manufacturer who did this calibration. :)

normzone

Trusted Information Resource

I've little to add here, but I did have an instance where after the scope was returned from our cal house certified as in spec, one EE told me he knew of an error in the scope and he did not mention it because he wanted to see if the cal house would find it.

Of course, the cal house did not find it. We sent it to the manufacturer for servicing.

Mikishots

I've little to add here, but I did have an instance where after the scope was returned from our cal house certified as in spec, one EE told me he knew of an error in the scope and he did not mention it because he wanted to see if the cal house would find it.

Of course, the cal house did not find it. We sent it to the manufacturer for servicing.
Expensive experiment.

dwperron

Scope calibration is a blast!
It all depends on the instrument, and the manufacturer knows the details and incorporated them into their calibration / verification procedures. Trust them.

For instance, the scope in question is checked from 1 mV to 1 V/div, but it goes to 5 V/div. Chances are the amplifier stages are 1,2,5 steps, so you would check at 1,2,and 5 mV. For higher ranges the scope switches in X10 attenuator steps, so you would check each of those as well. The top attenuator step would cover 1,2, and 5V/div. Since you have already checked the 2 and 5 amplifier gain steps there isn't a requirement to check them again for the 2 and 5V/div ranges, but the calibration is still valid for those ranges due to overlap in what is being tested.

That's the same rationale used in multimeters, where all attenuator ranges are checked but amplifier linearity and frequency response are often only checked on one range.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, it should, short answer. Your accredited calibration provider has a requirement under ISO/IEC 17025, Clause 4.4, to understand your requirements and needs.

Your scope absolutely should be calibrated to the range of the test requirements. Now, modern scopes may be using the same concept as modern balances, which is 2-3 points and the algorithms extrapolate from there. That means in theory that the scope will read correctly at any point. But best to make sure the cal provider does cover the range.

Hope this helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J What Calibration Standards should I have? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N Damaged Load Cell After Calibration - Who Should Pay? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Should the Calibration Laboratory be kept locked? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
E Should companies that perform calibration services be ISO 17025 accredited? ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
V Should there be a incident/deviation for breakdown or missed calibration date? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
M Should a low cost hand held refractometer be in a calibration program? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
Anerol C Where should I start as the person responsible for the calibration laboratory? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
A Preparing manual for Calibration laboratory! How should it be named? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B Should we perform Equipment final calibration-Operations closing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
J CNC Calibration - What should be calibrated on a HAAS machine? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
K Should QS/TS certified internal test/calibration labs be required to be ISO17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 16
J Should weigh count scales be in the Calibration System? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
J Calibration, should we.... Go-No-Go, thread, pin, and ring gauges QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
T 510(k) submission - Which name should I use in the submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Should 510(k) Predicates be Actively Listed Devices? Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
H Who should be listed as the manufacturer/distributor on the box? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
BeaBea How Many Processes should be created for each Department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M Should volume of sales be factored into risk probability assessments? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 33
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Which incubation condition should be selected to recover both bacteria and fungus effectively Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
D Is there a specific location for PPE such as safety glass holders and glove dispensers should be mounted Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
M Who should receive the bills from suppliers and vendors, account payable or procurement? Consultants and Consulting 4
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
A We are ISO 13485:2016 should we be audited to ISO 14971 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J Organization merger. Should we keep two separate ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Companies that maintain your machine should be in ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Use of "Shall" versus "Should" in Procedures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
D Class II medical device - When should a complaint be closed? Customer Complaints 6
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Clause 0.4 of ISO 9001 and EHS - Where should I stop the inclusion of EHS in my QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Ed Panek Part 11 Self Certify Memo - What else should it cover? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q How should I analyze measurement correlation between me and customer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion ISO 9001:2024 - What should be changed in the next Edition of ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 82
N Should it even be on the hazard analysis (software)? FMEA and Control Plans 2
V Which batches should or could be considered for design validation and design verification? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Routine testing of medical electrical systems - What specific electrical safety tests should be performed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
G ISO 17025:2017 7.1.2 - Should I produce a document for the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8