Should companies that perform calibration services be ISO 17025 accredited?

E

Eloy Gomez

Should companies that perform calibration services be ISO 17025 accredited? Are they required to be? We are an aerospace manufacturer with AS9100 and ISO9001 accreditation requirements. I just found out that our calibration house is not accredited to any calibration standard. We discover this during an internal audit. We have canceled their services. Now we are wondering if everything is questionable and we may have to do an impact to product assessment. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

t.PoN

Unless your accreditation body has a policy in this regards then: Not necessary.

HOWEVER, you need to make sure your supplier is competent and traceable, this can be achieved through many ways such as:
1. National lab (not necessary from your own country) and is CMC listed.
2. Accredited lab to the scope of your request. I do recommend it because it saves time and effort
3. You or your representative audit the calibration lab and their procedure.
4. your own documented criteria of evaluating competency such as their last participation on PT for the scope of services you requested.

I hope it help

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Jim

Trusted Information Resource
The short answer is that there is no such requirement for either ISO 9001 or AS9100. I understand that this is a requirement for TS16949 (automotive), but I don't work with that standard so someone else will need to verify it.

Occasionally, you may have a customer that requires it, but it is somewhat unusual.

If they have been doing a good job and their calibration standards are traceable to NIST or other national or international standards, you may have cut off a good supplier for no good reason.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Should companies that perform calibration services be ISO 17025 accredited? Are they required to be? We are an aerospace manufacturer with AS9100 and ISO9001 accreditation requirements. I just found out that our calibration house is not accredited to any calibration standard. We discover this during an internal audit. We have canceled their services. Now we are wondering if everything is questionable and we may have to do an impact to product assessment. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Eloy,

Yes they should but it is not yet generally required.

What requirement did your internal auditor cite in order for you to cancel their services? Was it your own management requirement or did your internal auditor invent a requirement?

Did your auditor consider that invalid measurements may come from the measurement processes instead of just the devices used? Was there evidence of the devices drifting out of calibration?

Now that you are into corrective action are you considering measurement system analysis (MSA) and internal verifications combined with external accredited calibrations of measurement equipment?

John

The thing about accreditation of a calibration service provider is that they report the results with a precise degree of accuracy - the uncertainty. You may also have been getting similar results from the lab you were using, but they are simply not accredited. Do you know what the situation is? Do you actually USE the results of calibration and the reported uncertainty? Or is simply a status? If you simply rely on the items of equipment being calibrated, then the lab you were using is probably fine. When (or if) you get into debate with a customer about fine tolerance measurements, you may need the accredited lab to do the calibrations...

S

silentrunning

If I were to use a Calibration Lab that wasn't accredited I would certainly do a very thorough audit of their processes. The legal ramifications of not doing due diligence would keep me awake at night. I realize that accreditation alone doesn?t ensure compliance, but if a problem arises you will not be facing it alone.

R

Reg Morrison

Should companies that perform calibration services be ISO 17025 accredited? We have canceled their services.
Have you cancelled the contracts with your suppliers that don't have an ISO 9001, AS9100 or another QMS certification?

An ISO 17025 accreditation should give you more confidence on the lab's work, however, as already stated, there are no guarantees. Be prepared to pay higher fees for the services of an 17025 accredited lab. Hopefully your customers will be willing to pay more for your parts, as well.

qusys

A suggestion that I would like to share is also the one to re-evaluate your purchasing process.In fact it seems very strange that no clear requirements ( such as accredidation o certifications type) is in place for the approval of this calibration supplier.

Michael_M

Have you cancelled the contracts with your suppliers that don't have an ISO 9001, AS9100 or another QMS certification?

An ISO 17025 accreditation should give you more confidence on the lab's work, however, as already stated, there are no guarantees. Be prepared to pay higher fees for the services of an 17025 accredited lab. Hopefully your customers will be willing to pay more for your parts, as well.
We were using a non-ISO 17025 lab for calibration however after a few issues with time (2 months to perform) I started looking around. I found an ISO 17025 accreditation lab AND they were about 1/2 the price. Not only that, but I get the gages calibrated within a 3 week time (takes about 5 days to travel there and 5 to get back). Furthermore, they communicate with me when issues arise.

Now, all this may be that I was using a bad lab to begin with (grandfathered in when I took this position) and this has tainted my view but having the accredited lab gives me that extra sense of security (and saves me money too).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Companies that maintain your machine should be in ASL? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
J What my companies RoHS declaration should say 2011/65/EU, 2015/863, or 2017/2102 REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
T What type of industries or companies that should implement PAS 55? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
BeaBea How Many Processes should be created for each Department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M Should volume of sales be factored into risk probability assessments? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 33
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Which incubation condition should be selected to recover both bacteria and fungus effectively Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
D Is there a specific location for PPE such as safety glass holders and glove dispensers should be mounted Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
M Who should receive the bills from suppliers and vendors, account payable or procurement? Consultants and Consulting 4
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
A We are ISO 13485:2016 should we be audited to ISO 14971 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J Organization merger. Should we keep two separate ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Use of "Shall" versus "Should" in Procedures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
D Class II medical device - When should a complaint be closed? Customer Complaints 6
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Clause 0.4 of ISO 9001 and EHS - Where should I stop the inclusion of EHS in my QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Ed Panek Part 11 Self Certify Memo - What else should it cover? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q How should I analyze measurement correlation between me and customer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion ISO 9001:2023 - What should be changed in the next Edition of ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 65
N Should it even be on the hazard analysis (software)? FMEA and Control Plans 2
V Which batches should or could be considered for design validation and design verification? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Routine testing of medical electrical systems - What specific electrical safety tests should be performed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
G ISO 17025:2017 7.1.2 - Should I produce a document for the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
F Quality Objectives - Where in the QMS Quality Objectives should be located ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P ISO 80369-7 standard - Interpreting which Parts should be in scope Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
V Who should define and own the Design and Development Plan and how to maintain the updates and revisions. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A How should the Medical Device OEMs be declared to ANVISA? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D Should "Waste" be included as Output in SIPOC Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
N Control plan evaluation methods - Which methods should be carried over from the PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 3
A PFMEA - How long should the recommended actions remain in the recommended actions column? APQP and PPAP 3
M Should Quality be an independent organization in aerospace company? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
S Should there be a SOP on Cybersecurity? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
B AS9102 FAI & Lower Level Drawings - How should we perform the FAI? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
I Imaging Services - Which standard should we be certified to? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
M Medical Device News FDA's Policies and Procedures Should Better Address Postmarket Cybersecurity Risk to Medical Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Who should have access to Audit trail? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
S Should an Initial Importer separately do Establishment Registration? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J What Calibration Standards should I have? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
Hieupm Clause 8.5.5 and Clause 8.6: which one should be coming first? (ISO 9001:2015) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
shimonv Should the Label for Serviced Medical Devices be Replaced? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M IATF 16949 - Who should be assigned as the Product Safety Officer? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3