Should I calculate both Cp and Cpk for a Unilateral Tolerance?

G

Ganesh_QM

Dear Experts,

Can anyone please let me know, whether we should calculate both Cp and Cpk for unilateral tolerance ? I got this galnce when i tried to understand the difference between a target and USL for a GD & T dimension . . Can you please help me in this regard

Ganesh Moorthy

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Dear Experts,

Can anyone please let me know, whether we should calculate both Cp and Cpk for unilateral tolerance ? I got this galnce when i tried to understand the difference between a target and USL for a GD & T dimension . . Can you please help me in this regard

Ganesh Moorthy
Cp is often difficult because the distribution is not normal.

Cpk is also difficult for the same reason, especially if the process center is close to the nominal. An example would be runout or roundness.

You have to do the tests to see of CpK or Cp is valid.

D

Darius

whether we should calculate both Cp and Cpk for unilateral tolerance ? I got this galnce when i tried to understand the difference between a target and USL for a GD & T dimension
As it can be seen from your question, the unilateral variable has USL and you would like (or assume) that the variable must be the same value so theorically USL = Target....

Target must be the value that help us to obtain the best from out process, so if you are looking for no no-complains, it could be tricky to put it at the USL, variation must be taken in account so your would be able to spect almost no defects.

Cp, can't be calculated for one sided spec in a traditional way, Cp is how many times your process variation occupy the specs (as an area of possible values).

Cpk can be calculated for USL only = (USL-Mean)/(3Sigma), but as Kales said, many unilateral variables behave in a non-gaussian distribution, so, if that is the case, it could be better to transform the data before calculating the index or use it to compare against it self. As I remember, I have readed something like "in order to manage, one must meassure"

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Cpk should not be calculated for any true unilateral tolerance. The assumption is normal distribution and centered target value. The point of Cpk is to determine centering to the specification. The point of a unilateral tolerance is that there is no centering. Transformations or "half Cpks" (Cpu or Cpl) can be calculated, but are statistical nonsense to the point of calculating Cpk, so should not be reported.

If a customer expects this data on a unilateral tolerance, you can rest assured they are using the Cpk "rubber stamp", and have no statistically supported rational for the request.

G

Ganesh_QM

Thank you for your response :applause::applause:. So can i proceed with Cpu for position tolerance ??? If that make sense then i would take it forward to our customer !!

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Thank you for your response :applause::applause:. So can i proceed with Cpu for position tolerance ??? If that make sense then i would take it forward to our customer !!
If your goal is to satisfy a statistically illiterate customer, then you can give them that data. Again, it is fundamentally nonsense.

If they are automotive, and subscribe to TS16949, I would tell them to read closely PPAP 4th edition 2.2.11.5.

D

Darius

The point of Cpk is to determine centering to the specification. The point of a unilateral tolerance is that there is no centering.
:truce:I am agree, Cpk is a statistical nonsence :bonk:but not only for unilateral, if people try to correlate it to ppm or ppb, look at the calculation, the minimum of (USL-Mean, Mean-LSL)/(3Sigma).
What give it to us?,
Minimun(USL-Mean, Mean-LSL) give us the minimum distance of our process centering to the spec
and
3Sigma is the distance from the process centering to the control limit (or as Wheeler may say "natural limits").
so Cpk is how many distances from the Center of the process is the Spec limit, is a measure, just that, Wheeler said in "Advanced topics on SPC", the best is forget about indicators, if you try to determine defective, calcule them directly.

:2cents:As I say before, "to manage, one must measure", agree that is a faulty indicator, but is there another option?:confused:, a better aproach could be to chart box-charts across the time, but how to measure improvement?, no measure is better that a faulty?, not sure.

note: I use something like that when I try to determine if a value is "strange" , but the value insteed of the process mean, and work as a charm.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
:truce:I am agree, Cpk is a statistical nonsense :bonk: but not only for unilateral, if people try to correlate it to ppm or ppb, look at the calculation, the minimum of (USL-Mean, Mean-LSL)/(3Sigma).
What give it to us?,
Minimum(USL-Mean, Mean-LSL) give us the minimum distance of our process centering to the spec
and
3Sigma is the distance from the process centering to the control limit (or as Wheeler may say "natural limits").
so Cpk is how many distances from the Center of the process is the Spec limit, is a measure, just that, Wheeler said in "Advanced topics on SPC", the best is forget about indicators, if you try to determine defective, calculate them directly.
Cpk, as determined by largest of Cpu, Cpu adds the clue as to how centered the distribution mean is to the specification that Cp does not (assuming "centered" is truly valuable). To only calculate one or the other for a unilateral specification does, as you say, solely provides a distance from the mean (no longer the center) to the spec. Distance versus degree of being centered...two unrelated questions, only one of which Cpk is not designed to answer. So, it can be calculated, but answers the wrong question.

For one number to describe the process variation over time of any process is so much of a stretch, I have no idea how it EVER got any traction in quality. Fold into that the data was likely taken incorrectly (such as one diametric measurement for a circular feature) that it slips further into the realm of fiction. :cool:

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Cpk vs Ppk - Which should you use and How to Calculate Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 25
S Unilateral characteristics - What capability indicators should we calculate? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
E Opening meeting for Third-Party Audit--Who should say what? General Auditing Discussions 22
8 MSA--Should I Use Parts or Gage Pins? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B Should I buy IEC 62304:2006, IEC 62304:2006/AMD 1:2015 or both? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W "Accurate to ±2%" means "64% of measurements should be within 2% of the actual value"? US Medical Device Regulations 4
H Should we stop inspecting a part if its never been rejected? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
D What distributor requirement should we (manufacturer) require from the Distributor? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Should there be another column in the Optimization section (step 6) of AIAG-VDA DFMEA form? FMEA and Control Plans 1
C By when should harmonized standards be complied with? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
W Strategy for determining which components from a system should be "ME EQUIPMENT" -- home healthcare environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
B Documented information - Should be controlled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Is engineering a process and should it have its own process turtle? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Which MDCG Document should I use for PMS Plan and PSUR? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Who should quality representative report to? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
H When should the first PSUR be issued? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I If i do not want to be an initial importer should i register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B UKRP to what level should you audit Class I Technical Documentation? UK Medical Device Regulations 0
C When should you quit programming? Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 9
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
Ed Panek External Standards List - Should this document include previously revised standards? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T How should I approach REACH, CM, etc. as a job shop? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 18
A Should we assign the PRRC before the date of application of MDR (26 May 2021)? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J UDI-DI how should we interpret Device version or model to determine if a new UDI-DI is needed? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Should ISO 9004 be changed from a guidance document to a requirements standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
A Should I take an online course for a career in Occupational Health and Safety? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Should APQP/PPAP has its own section in a QM? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
S What should i choose for "testing procedure" characteristics? (N95) General Information Resources 0
P Should eIFU link per ISO 15223-1:2016 be added to labels out of scope of Reg 207/2012? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Which Sampling Plan(s) Should I Use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
A Document release vs its related training. Which should come first? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
S Which department should prepare the control plan? could you show me a standard regarding to this matter. FMEA and Control Plans 17
J Help settle a disagreement: Should external providers of preventive maintenance be on your ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N Master Samples - What should we be keeping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
G Supplier delivered recent PPAP, should he deliver yearly layout inspection? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
John Broomfield Vote - Should ISO9004 Become a Requirements Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
A Capability Study - in the beginning of your career what should you have known about the tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
J Should Loading and Unloading be Included in Cycle Times? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
E Manufacturers should develop a testing device for covid19 Service Industry Specific Topics 0
T 510(k) submission - Which name should I use in the submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Should 510(k) Predicates be Actively Listed Devices? Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
H Who should be listed as the manufacturer/distributor on the box? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 3