Should Quality be an independent organization in aerospace company?

In my previous company the Non-Destructive Testing (X-Ray and Fluorescent Penetrant) Level 2 personnel reported to Manufacturing, the Level 3 personnel reported to Quality. "What should I work on?" was a manufacturing decision, "This is borderline, what should I do?" went to the Level 3 and therefore to quality. I never felt that this caused a conflict. But that can be a function of the culture of the company.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I have already made the analogy here, many years ago. Imagine that business ethics becomes a big issue for an organization. It has already for many and we all know some organizations which have lost BILLIONS of dollars and amassed huge damage to their brand and reputation due to ethical breaches. Compliance officers are now in place, ombudsmen are part of many large corporations, we have management system standards, such as ISO 37001 for Anti Bribery, etc....

Should we have "independent" ethics inspectors around the company spying on people's emails, bank accounts, business meetings? Obviously not. It would never work. Quality, just like ethics, has to be driven as part of the corporate culture and EVERYONE working for the organization has do the right thing. Obviously we need to have monitoring activities to ensure that policies are not only effectively implemented, but are also effective in delivering the intended results.

Trying to police (inspect) quality into the product will just drive you out of business.

Mike S.

An Early 'Cover'
Trying to inspect quality into a part could be done by both an independent QA organization or one that is built-in to Manufacturing.

Many, maybe most, manufacturing companies in business today do have a separate QA organization.

John Broomfield

Fully retired...
Staff member
Super Moderator
Absolutely. Confidence that requirements will be fulfilled is the definition of QA.

It’s not a department or an activity.

It’s a feeling

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted
Could not disagree more with the assertion that "Quality need not be independent"....the world is replete with examples where the findings and results of quality professionals, becomes marginalized and ultimately discounted in the name of meeting production, etc....to the contrary what some once considered "old school..", becomes relevant, in vogue and valuable. Opinions are part of the process, irrespective of the field of endeavor.

AndyN

A problem shared...
Staff member
Super Moderator
.the world is replete with examples where the findings and results of quality professionals, becomes marginalized and ultimately discounted in the name of meeting production, etc
One of my industrial experiences was with an organization which didn't HAVE a QA function, yet our compliance to requirements was exemplary. We brought projects in on time and on budget - and put us under pressure to deliver. The products were tested to specification and if they failed, it was taken seriously. Top management made decisions on the quality data and protected the customer and our reputation. No "QA" was involved...

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted
Agreed no doubt, as we are speaking in generalties here, there are certainly those situations where the firm or a firm is proper aligned and informed, as seems to be the case in your post.

AndyN

A problem shared...
Staff member
Super Moderator
Much of the reason for marginalization of the QA function is that they don't "get" manufacturing, or design, or sales. There are QA folks who have never done anything else. Hardly surprising then, that they don't relate to other functions and the result is what you've described....

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted
agreed, that is why where the firm utilizes the QA function, the best QA candidates are those with a diversity of functional experience, only then can the candidate comprehend the impact of QA positions and policies. In the present case, before executing duties in a DOD QA function, each person was required to participate in a rotational program...my two cents

Top Bottom