Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Should Quality folks be just policemen & policewomen?

B

Bentley

Re: Should Quality folks be just policeman & policewomen?

One thing to remember, you cannot inspect quality into a product. The quality is either there or not. We just report what is found.

On another note, there is nothing perfect. The definition as I was taught for Quality "The best possible product for the least amount of money".

Food for thought:rolleyes:

A

ankey

Our boss want QA to assure the engineering, the production and the purchasing etc are donging the "right" things, and also they are doing it right per plan and standards. Otherwise, CA shall be submitted. It seems that QA is another "boss" for them. Do somebody like another "boss" like this one without additional paying? Then, how can you assure that? Only hope self-check? So what QA want to be?

K

Kingnik

Should quality folks play a more proactive role than just be contented as policeman or policewomen?
In general, the impression I've from other departments about quality folks is one that quality only knows about complaining an issue, about rejecting a lot, about issuing CARs etc. They don't seems to be proactive in not only sharing a problem but also in providing a solution or at least be more interested in collaborating with other departments in finding a solution. Some departments also feel that they are not technically inclined and hence they are only good in complaining. Some departments might feel that they are not value adding to the company.:nope:
What's your notion on this?
thks.:thanks:
jeffrey.
I have learned to ask indirect questions to learn the root cause of deficiency in the process that caused the problem rather than addressing the problem directly. If we can work together to improve the process maybe the problem won't happen again. Pointing fingers just doesn't work. I am not planning on being a policewoman. I enjoy hearing someone who is directly affected with the process find the root cause and solve the problem.
So far, this method has worked great. It takes patience and is not always easy. Listening well and knowing when to contribute are both very important skills to develop. Lots of thinking offline is also required:)

O

Olwen

While there is certainly a police officer component in the the quality universe, limiting it to that role alone removes any potential value outside of that role.

The operations folks may/may not be correct in the technical abilities of the quality folks, as that depends on many factors.....but then that also provide the opportunity for instruction both ways.....

Just a thought or two.....

Hershal
"My first thought would have to be, that this kind of complaints says more about the person complaining than the person being complained about. A rude assumption would be that a lot of people tend to think that it is QA's task to clean up everybody elses mess. The thinking being: "I can f... .. as bad as I like but I don't need to take responsibility, cause QA is supposed to make sure that I am not gonna learn from this or improve my thinking!"

I agree

A

aliasJohnQ

There are two way of thinking: Old school equals carrying a big stick
The new way equals being sensitive to the needs of the employees, and understanding what they feel while still maintaining your Quality system.
My advice: Blend the old and the new!
Eventhough my gut is telling me to just carry that big stick, and come out swinging!:whip:

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted

There are two way of thinking: Old school equals carrying a big stick
The new way equals being sensitive to the needs of the employees, and understanding what they feel while still maintaining your Quality system.
My advice: Blend the old and the new!
Eventhough my gut is telling me to just carry that big stick, and come out swinging!:whip:
For those who still have the big stick to hand; you can always tie a carrot to the end? This could be seen as combining the old with the new!

C

ChrissieO

Who's going to tell management that there is a nonconformance?
Managment has to work through their agents. My agents are my QC Staff.
I issue NCs to the senior management team regularly as that is where the buck stops.

Cx

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that gets viewed as a :energy:in the workplace!
I think that if everyone takes the shared responsibility of implementing quality and it is not seen as a departmental responsibility, that helps alot!
My pet peeve is when people don't understand the role of the QA in the workplace, that is where the training and coaching aspect comes to the fore.

I love my job :read:

J

JoeDM

Should quality folks play a more proactive role than just be contented as policeman or policewomen?
In general, the impression I've from other departments about quality folks is one that quality only knows about complaining an issue, about rejecting a lot, about issuing CARs etc. They don't seems to be proactive in not only sharing a problem but also in providing a solution or at least be more interested in collaborating with other departments in finding a solution. Some departments also feel that they are not technically inclined and hence they are only good in complaining. Some departments might feel that they are not value adding to the company.:nope:
What's your notion on this?
thks.:thanks:
jeffrey.
I think it often appears that way to others in the organization, but it shouldn't. The point made is that it may be the complainer's problem. This is sometimes true.

Keep in mind that it has a lot to do with the organization's culture. In an organization where everybody sees quality as a critical component of their job, the perception is often different. Also keep in mind that the quality people are typically looking at nonconformances. They are not looking at what went right, they are looking at what went wrong so improvement can take place. So they seem only to have bad news.

It's how you present the information. Why not present what's going right followed by some opportunities to improve.

Top Bottom