Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Should Quality folks be just policemen & policewomen?

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Should Quality folks be just policeman & policewomen?

Should quality folks play a more proactive role than just be contented as policeman or policewomen?

jeffrey.

Don't make the same mistake with quality that has been made in safety. A quality person has no more control over work processess than a safety person has over them.

D

David Hartman

As a former Quality Systems Auditor I found that most of the areas within the company that I audited had some good practices in place. So I would ensure that I mentioned those up front. But, not only would I mention them at the out-brief for their area, I would also mention them as "improvement" ideas in other areas (workcenters) within the company where it appeared that they could be of benefit (a modified "benchmarking" process of sorts).

This practice, accompanied by working with each organization as a "member" of their team ("I am here to help you find the weak areas in your processes, so that we can improve them together."), worked well in establishing a role for the auditor as a mentor, resource for improvement, and someone to help keep the wheels from falling off.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Don't make the same mistake with quality that has been made in safety. A quality person has no more control over work processess than a safety person has over them.
I would disagree with both of these comments. The issue is not whether Safety and Quality have "control" over the processes. By definition, control remains with the process owner for each process.

However, as David Hartmann shared so well, Quality (and Safety) can and should influence each process that they touch. That is the principle behind Continual Improvement, and is why Top Mgt support is necessary.

Top Bottom