Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual?

DuncanGibbons

Involved In Discussions
Are the requirements of FAA/EASA Part 21 addressed by the companies AS9100D quality manual or is a separate document required for conformance to the FAA/EASA regulatory requirements?

Additionally, when a company is being certified to AS9100D does the auditor review Part 21 conformance or exclude such requirements from the scope and leave it for the aviation regulatory auditor?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
(Disclaimer: from a 9001 perspective) As I understand it, 9100 includes 9001, and 9001 requires that you address "statutory and regulatory requirements". So my first thought, from my 9001 view, would be to refer at the appropriate points in the QMS that the regulatory requirements are being addressed in document XYZ where the FAA requirements are detailed.

However, since the XYZ doc in turn has to likely refer to the actual QMS procedures where the regs are operationalized (incorporated as controls, etc., into the processes), then it seems a better way to do it would be to go ahead and embed all the operationalized regs into the QMS, and then have a separate summary cross-reference doc which says "we address the FAA regs at these steps in these QMS procedures as follows..." and list out the regs and where in the QMS the controls, etc. are implemented.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Are the requirements of FAA/EASA Part 21 addressed by the companies AS9100D quality manual or is a separate document required for conformance to the FAA/EASA regulatory requirements?

Additionally, when a company is being certified to AS9100D does the auditor review Part 21 conformance or exclude such requirements from the scope and leave it for the aviation regulatory auditor?
An AS9100 audit is NOT a regulatory audit, but auditors are expected to have the competence that includes awareness of the relevant regulations applicable to the products being delivered.

If you are not familiar with, yet, peruse

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
Some organization maintain a business manual that includes everything, rather than (just) a 'quality manual.'

9100 requirements under 4.1, 4.2 and 6.1 should lead the "quality management system" to incorporating those requirements.

I agree with John. Why have separate this and separate that. The HLS (high level structure, alignment of the clauses in different standards) was introduced for just this reason.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Should ISO 9004 be changed from a guidance document to a requirements standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
John Broomfield Vote - Should ISO9004 Become a Requirements Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
W AS9102 Requirements - What information from the PO should be included in the FAIR? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K Should project managers know what basic regulatory requirements are? Internal Auditing 17
S Should Identified Hazards and Risks necessarily have Linkage with Legal Requirements? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
P Separating "Shall" requirements from "Should" detail ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J Adequacy of specified purchase requirements - Clause 7.4.2 - Should be reviewed? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Sidney Vianna Should the TC 176 Re-word the Requirements for Preventive Action? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 60
M Control Plan Requirements - Should I identify all the individual drawing dimensions? FMEA and Control Plans 6
P QMS-requirements should be excluded from the customer specific requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 13
1 Should I be concerned about Sarbanes-Oxley requirements affecting my ISO9001:2000 QMS Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
M Production meetings - Any specific TS requirements which I should note? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M ISO 13485 - What requirements should I look for in my suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
M Who should quality representative report to? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
H When should the first PSUR be issued? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I If i do not want to be an initial importer should i register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B UKRP to what level should you audit Class I Technical Documentation? UK Medical Device Regulations 0
C When should you quit programming? Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 9
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
Ed Panek External Standards List - Should this document include previously revised standards? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T How should I approach REACH, CM, etc. as a job shop? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 18
A Should we assign the PRRC before the date of application of MDR (26 May 2021)? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J UDI-DI how should we interpret Device version or model to determine if a new UDI-DI is needed? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Should I take an online course for a career in Occupational Health and Safety? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Should APQP/PPAP has its own section in a QM? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
S What should i choose for "testing procedure" characteristics? (N95) General Information Resources 0
P Should eIFU link per ISO 15223-1:2016 be added to labels out of scope of Reg 207/2012? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Which Sampling Plan(s) Should I Use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
A Document release vs its related training. Which should come first? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
S Which department should prepare the control plan? could you show me a standard regarding to this matter. FMEA and Control Plans 17
J Help settle a disagreement: Should external providers of preventive maintenance be on your ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N Master Samples - What should we be keeping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
G Supplier delivered recent PPAP, should he deliver yearly layout inspection? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A Capability Study - in the beginning of your career what should you have known about the tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
J Should Loading and Unloading be Included in Cycle Times? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
E Manufacturers should develop a testing device for covid19 Service Industry Specific Topics 0
T 510(k) submission - Which name should I use in the submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Should 510(k) Predicates be Actively Listed Devices? Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
H Who should be listed as the manufacturer/distributor on the box? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
BeaBea How Many Processes should be created for each Department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M Should volume of sales be factored into risk probability assessments? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 33
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5