Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual?

DuncanGibbons

Involved In Discussions
Are the requirements of FAA/EASA Part 21 addressed by the companies AS9100D quality manual or is a separate document required for conformance to the FAA/EASA regulatory requirements?

Additionally, when a company is being certified to AS9100D does the auditor review Part 21 conformance or exclude such requirements from the scope and leave it for the aviation regulatory auditor?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
(Disclaimer: from a 9001 perspective) As I understand it, 9100 includes 9001, and 9001 requires that you address "statutory and regulatory requirements". So my first thought, from my 9001 view, would be to refer at the appropriate points in the QMS that the regulatory requirements are being addressed in document XYZ where the FAA requirements are detailed.

However, since the XYZ doc in turn has to likely refer to the actual QMS procedures where the regs are operationalized (incorporated as controls, etc., into the processes), then it seems a better way to do it would be to go ahead and embed all the operationalized regs into the QMS, and then have a separate summary cross-reference doc which says "we address the FAA regs at these steps in these QMS procedures as follows..." and list out the regs and where in the QMS the controls, etc. are implemented.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Are the requirements of FAA/EASA Part 21 addressed by the companies AS9100D quality manual or is a separate document required for conformance to the FAA/EASA regulatory requirements?

Additionally, when a company is being certified to AS9100D does the auditor review Part 21 conformance or exclude such requirements from the scope and leave it for the aviation regulatory auditor?
An AS9100 audit is NOT a regulatory audit, but auditors are expected to have the competence that includes awareness of the relevant regulations applicable to the products being delivered.

If you are not familiar with, yet, peruse

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
Some organization maintain a business manual that includes everything, rather than (just) a 'quality manual.'

9100 requirements under 4.1, 4.2 and 6.1 should lead the "quality management system" to incorporating those requirements.

I agree with John. Why have separate this and separate that. The HLS (high level structure, alignment of the clauses in different standards) was introduced for just this reason.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W AS9102 Requirements - What information from the PO should be included in the FAIR? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
K Should project managers know what basic regulatory requirements are? Internal Auditing 17
S Should Identified Hazards and Risks necessarily have Linkage with Legal Requirements? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
P Separating "Shall" requirements from "Should" detail ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J Adequacy of specified purchase requirements - Clause 7.4.2 - Should be reviewed? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Sidney Vianna Should the TC 176 Re-word the Requirements for Preventive Action? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 60
M Control Plan Requirements - Should I identify all the individual drawing dimensions? FMEA and Control Plans 6
P QMS-requirements should be excluded from the customer specific requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 13
1 Should I be concerned about Sarbanes-Oxley requirements affecting my ISO9001:2000 QMS Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
M Production meetings - Any specific TS requirements which I should note? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M ISO 13485 - What requirements should I look for in my suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Should 510(k) Predicates be Actively Listed Devices? Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
H Who should be listed as the manufacturer/distributor on the box? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
BeaBea How Many Processes should be created for each Department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M Should volume of sales be factored into risk probability assessments? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 33
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Which incubation condition should be selected to recover both bacteria and fungus effectively Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
D Is there a specific location for PPE such as safety glass holders and glove dispensers should be mounted Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
M Who should receive the bills from suppliers and vendors, account payable or procurement? Consultants and Consulting 4
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
A We are ISO 13485:2016 should we be audited to ISO 14971 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J Organization merger. Should we keep two separate ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Companies that maintain your machine should be in ASL? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
S Use of "Shall" versus "Should" in Procedures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
D Class II medical device - When should a complaint be closed? Customer Complaints 6
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Clause 0.4 of ISO 9001 and EHS - Where should I stop the inclusion of EHS in my QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Ed Panek Part 11 Self Certify Memo - What else should it cover? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q How should I analyze measurement correlation between me and customer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion ISO 9001:2024 - What should be changed in the next Edition of ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
N Should it even be on the hazard analysis (software)? FMEA and Control Plans 2
V Which batches should or could be considered for design validation and design verification? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Routine testing of medical electrical systems - What specific electrical safety tests should be performed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
G ISO 17025:2017 7.1.2 - Should I produce a document for the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
F Quality Objectives - Where in the QMS Quality Objectives should be located ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P ISO 80369-7 standard - Interpreting which Parts should be in scope Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
V Who should define and own the Design and Development Plan and how to maintain the updates and revisions. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A How should the Medical Device OEMs be declared to ANVISA? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0