Should volume of sales be factored into risk probability assessments?

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Wondering aloud: would it make sense to factor in an estimated volume of sales and/or number of users and/or number of procedures when considering harm probabilities?

We've never done this (and I'm curious if anyone does), but does seems reasonable in some way.
That is, the probability occurrence of a harmful event is proportional to the device's use.
All else being equal, a device that is used by millions presumably has a much higher probability of issues that a device that only has a few hundred users.

Curious what others think...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

atitheya

Quite Involved in Discussions
Wondering aloud: would it make sense to factor in an estimated volume of sales and/or number of users and/or number of procedures when considering harm probabilities?
To my understanding,

Where-ever there is a possibility of harm, there is risk. If business augmentation creates a possibility of harm, it must be identified and steps taken to mitigate / minimize that risk. Such as in

All else being equal, a device that is used by millions presumably has a much higher probability of issues that a device that only has a few hundred users.
If such a situation may lead to a hazardous situation of users not being serviced / troubleshooted in time resulting in some harm (as may be determined by you) then may be one can increase the service team size or take any other action to mitigate or minimize the risk.

Of course, (on a lighter note), you will not refuse to increase your volume because of such a risk. :D

Just my opinion. Let’s hear from others too.

Mark Meer

...If such a situation may lead to a hazardous situation of users not being serviced / troubleshooted in time resulting in some harm (as may be determined by you) then may be one can increase the service team size or take any other action to mitigate or minimize the risk.
This isn't quite what I was thinking, but it is certainly another consideration I hadn't thought of. ;)

What I was thinking may be illustrated through a hypothetical example:

Say that a power-supply's fault rate is estimated at 1 in 100,000. If I have a device that sells millions of such units, then the probability of harm resulting from such an event may make the risk unacceptable, whereas if I only sell a couple hundred units the risk may be evaluated as acceptable.

Tidge

Quite Involved in Discussions
The volume of sales should not factor into either P1 or P2. A large volume of devices can help inform P1 and P2 (because of a larger denominator) but that would be the extent of value in determining risk (not harm).

You can try to factor volume into a risk-benefit analysis, but this can be a double-edged sword. On the surface: a device which is universally used with only a small fraction of patients/users experiencing harm may seem like a good thing ("look how safe it is!") but as devices become more common there is an onus to reduce the risk for even higher fractions of patients/users... it can become less acceptable to tolerate risks that may have been acceptable when the device was more 'bleeding edge'.

Mark Meer

... it can become less acceptable to tolerate risks that may have been acceptable when the device was more 'bleeding edge'.
This is sort of what I was getting at: volume of sales (or estimated number of users/procedures) seems like a salient variable when determining acceptability criteria as a 1 in 100,000 probability may be acceptable for sales in the hundreds, but unacceptable for sales in the millions.

I still think there is an argument that this could be factored into probability of harm, as the more users there are the greater the probability of any event leading to a hazardous situation manifests.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Say that a power-supply's fault rate is estimated at 1 in 100,000. If I have a device that sells millions of such units, then the probability of harm resulting from such an event may make the risk unacceptable, whereas if I only sell a couple hundred units the risk may be evaluated as acceptable.
That would imply that you have control over when the faulty ones are distributed. You've (presumably) already determined that the risk of 1 in 100,000 is acceptable. You wouldn't sell 99,000 then say "we can't sell any more because we know the next one will fail."

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Further to the point @yodon made, when the probability of some phenomenon is 1 in x opportunities, and failure is random, the one failure might happen in the first instance, the 100,000th, or anywhere in between (or not at all).

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yodon and Jim are touching on the real issue here. Math.

Increasing sales - or usage of a product - doesn't change the probability of a failure or the the occurrence rate. It changes the NUMBER of failures.
IF harm is not a certainty of a failure but is a proportion of occurrences then the same math applies. increasing sales/usage will increase the NUMBER of events that result in harm. not the probability.

This can of course increase the cost of dealing with the failures as that is tied to the number and not the proportion of sales/uses. It can I suppose increase the 'probability' that the Customer base or the media or facebook hears about the failures and gets mad at you.

Your organization may find that 1 harmful is acceptable and 10 isn't based on cost reputation or whatever. .. so increasing sales will factor into your decision. but that has nothing to do with probability. Our words matter, let's use them correctly.

Math matters and it counts.

Mark Meer

Increasing sales - or usage of a product - doesn't change the probability of a failure or the the occurrence rate. It changes the NUMBER of failures.
IF harm is not a certainty of a failure but is a proportion of occurrences then the same math applies. increasing sales/usage will increase the NUMBER of events that result in harm. not the probability.

This can of course increase the cost of dealing with the failures as that is tied to the number and not the proportion of sales/uses. It can I suppose increase the 'probability' that the Customer base or the media or facebook hears about the failures and gets mad at you.
I think the numbers matter, over and above simply media, facebook, or company reputation/cost considerations. We are, afterall, dealing with real-world harm to individuals...

I take your point @yodon that you have no control over distribution, but assuming a random distribution, if a failure mode that could result in death has a probability of 1/100000, then if only 10 units are sold, the probability of this manifesting is remote, whereas if millions of units are sold then it's an almost certainty that someone is likely to die. In this sense we are talking about the probability that someone dies, no?

Could it not be the case that the former case is deemed acceptable, but the latter is not?

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I'll still say no because it's already been determined that this IS acceptable. We are dealing with medical devices and the fact is that there is a chance for death. If it's not acceptable, you need to take additional measures to reduce the risk.

For the sake of argument, let's say you somehow DO increase the likelihood of occurrence at some point based on a sales threshold being reached. What would you do? Stop selling? Implement new controls? THAT would really bother me if I was one of the ones to get the device before the threshold was met. And it would no doubt open you up to litigation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Should low volume supplier PPM comparisons consider level of opportunity for error? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
W Should we monitor all Significant part Characteristics with SPC? Low Volume CNC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
M Should 510(k) Predicates be Actively Listed Devices? Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
H Who should be listed as the manufacturer/distributor on the box? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
BeaBea How Many Processes should be created for each Department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Which incubation condition should be selected to recover both bacteria and fungus effectively Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
D Is there a specific location for PPE such as safety glass holders and glove dispensers should be mounted Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
M Who should receive the bills from suppliers and vendors, account payable or procurement? Consultants and Consulting 4
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
A We are ISO 13485:2016 should we be audited to ISO 14971 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J Organization merger. Should we keep two separate ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Companies that maintain your machine should be in ASL? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
S Use of "Shall" versus "Should" in Procedures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
D Class II medical device - When should a complaint be closed? Customer Complaints 6
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Clause 0.4 of ISO 9001 and EHS - Where should I stop the inclusion of EHS in my QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Ed Panek Part 11 Self Certify Memo - What else should it cover? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
H Statistical Techniques Procedure - What should be included Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q How should I analyze measurement correlation between me and customer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion ISO 9001:2024 - What should be changed in the next Edition of ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
N Should it even be on the hazard analysis (software)? FMEA and Control Plans 2
V Which batches should or could be considered for design validation and design verification? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Routine testing of medical electrical systems - What specific electrical safety tests should be performed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
G ISO 17025:2017 7.1.2 - Should I produce a document for the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
F Quality Objectives - Where in the QMS Quality Objectives should be located ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P ISO 80369-7 standard - Interpreting which Parts should be in scope Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
V Who should define and own the Design and Development Plan and how to maintain the updates and revisions. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A How should the Medical Device OEMs be declared to ANVISA? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D Should "Waste" be included as Output in SIPOC Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
N Control plan evaluation methods - Which methods should be carried over from the PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 3
A PFMEA - How long should the recommended actions remain in the recommended actions column? APQP and PPAP 3
M Should Quality be an independent organization in aerospace company? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
S Should there be a SOP on Cybersecurity? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
B AS9102 FAI & Lower Level Drawings - How should we perform the FAI? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
I Imaging Services - Which standard should we be certified to? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Design FMEA for a component - Should I make the following assumptions? FMEA and Control Plans 7
M Medical Device News FDA's Policies and Procedures Should Better Address Postmarket Cybersecurity Risk to Medical Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 0