Should "Waste" be included as Output in SIPOC Chart?

Darshan_Shetty

Starting to get Involved
The concept of SIPOC runs as businesses getting inputs from suppliers, adding value to it through internal processes and sending it as outputs to customers. Does "waste" generated in this internal process of adding value to the input, have a place on output, when creating a SIPOC chart?

Oversimplified example, If I create a SIPOC chart for making coffee, will coffee remains and dirty utensils be an output worth mentioning on the chart?

AndyN

Moved On
Not typically, since the coffee remains are not waste. Dirty utensils are not "transformed", either. Waste would be an proportion of the coffee which was undrinkable or in some way not consumed. Not what was planned, let's say.

Darshan_Shetty

Starting to get Involved
Not typically, since the coffee remains are not waste. Dirty utensils are not "transformed", either. Waste would be an proportion of the coffee which was undrinkable or in some way not consumed. Not what was planned, let's say.
Okay, makes sense. But that undrinkable part of the coffee, should it be mentioned on the SIPOC chart?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Show what happens to the coffee grounds and the undrunk coffee.

Any undrinkable coffee is important to know about too.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
The concept of SIPOC runs as businesses getting inputs from suppliers, adding value to it through internal processes and sending it as outputs to customers. Does "waste" generated in this internal process of adding value to the input, have a place on output, when creating a SIPOC chart?

Oversimplified example, If I create a SIPOC chart for making coffee, will coffee remains and dirty utensils be an output worth mentioning on the chart?
If its a bi-product and has a customer it makes sense to add to chart. If its just 'waste' then I would leave it out....

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
But these days most organizations are seeking to improve the quality of their environmental performance too.

...resulting in less waste, less carbon and fewer pollutants.

L

LaGarza28

Yes, but as a KPI, i mean, you need to measure the efficiency of your process, and that's the way you can improve it. All your SIPOC diagrams need to have a KPI as an output. is like the turtle diagram.

L

LaGarza28

a KPI isn't an "output" from a process.
Well, I mean it is directly related to an output, if your outputs are time, parts manufactured, shipments, you must relate an indicator to each output, that's where you control it, measuring the efficiency of your process and defining waste within it.

Top Bottom