Should we immediately have recalibrated our Digital Torque Gauge?

Izoyd

Involved In Discussions
Our Lab Technician sent out a Digital Torque Gauge to an ISO 17025 accredited Lab to be calibrated. That lab then outsourced the calibration (without giving written notice to us per ISO 17025) to a secondary vendor, who it turns out was not ISO 17025 accredited. However, the secondary vendor was actually the manufacturer of the gauge.

The Lab Technician who received back the calibration results thought that since the OEM performed the calibration, that it shouldn't be a problem even if they were not ISO 17025 certified. The Lab Tech did not realize that per TS 16949, the OEM should only be used if an ISO 17025 lab could not be found.

We then received a finding at our last External TS 16949 Audit for not using an ISO 17025 lab for the calibration.

However, my question now, is should we have immediately re-calibrated the gauge by an ISO 17025 lab?

Our thinking is that in moving forward, we will most certainly ensure gauges (outsourced or not) will be calibrated by an ISO 17025 lab. However, we did not have additional money in the budget for the re-calibration right then, and since the manufacturer actually calibrated the gauge, it's not like the calibration results were invalid.

What are your thoughts? I would appreciate the help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Should we immediately have recalibrated our gauge?

Is this a Torque Gauge or a torque wrench? If it's a setting master gauge, then it's a simple finding to fix, "don't do it next time" - BTW, I thought an accredited lab was supposed to tell you if it was sub-contracted...

If the results came back from the OEM and have all the information you need to decide if the item is within spec, I wouldn't worry. It's only the same as if it was a new item anyways.

R

rsimano

We then received a finding at our last External TS 16949 Audit for not using an ISO 17025 lab for the calibration.
Has a response been issued to the audit finding? Or is the response still pending?
If response was done and accepted. Did the response indicate you sending the item back out for recalibration? Or issue a PCAR to your vendor?
Accepted response to the audit findings may indicate what needs to be done now or in the future to resolve the issue.

-------
:2cents:: If you have not done yet. You could issue a CAR to your calibration vendor and see if they request you send the Digital Torque Gauge back to them for recalibration.
-------

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource

... That lab then outsourced the calibration (without giving written notice to us per ISO 17025) to a secondary vendor, who it turns out was not ISO 17025 accredited.
Have you pushed back on the lab yet? There are a couple breakdowns here. Thiers for dropping the ball, yours for not catching it.

My first look would not be at my budget to see if I could pay for it again...it would be at the lab for not doing what I paid them for.

I can't comment on 17025 at all, I don't live in that world. But it looks to me like they didn't fill your order with acceptable goods or services yet.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

Our Lab Technician sent out a Digital Torque Gauge to an ISO 17025 accredited Lab to be calibrated. That lab then outsourced the calibration (without giving written notice to us per ISO 17025) to a secondary vendor, who it turns out was not ISO 17025 accredited. However, the secondary vendor was actually the manufacturer of the gauge <snip>
To answer your question: your ISO 17025 lab should pay for recalibration. They made the mistake of not telling you what they did.

Lets take a step back:

Note 2 under 7.6.3.2 states that a manufacturer may calibrate a piece a equipment if they meet 7.6.3.1 (internal lab. requirements) if a qualified lab. is not available.

So, the 1st question: if a qualified lab available for this equipment? So, if your and the 17025 lab research shows there is not, it is OK to use the manufacturer. The 17025 lab and you must then determine if the manufacturer meets 7.6.3.1 requirement (such as scope, procedures, traceable). If the manufacturer meets this requirement, there is no problem.

My conclusion is that you CAN use manufacturers to calibrate equipment, but you have to do your homework before you do.

Another item you should look at: when equipment is sent out for calibration, make sure the calibration of that equipment falls inside the scope of the 17025 lab.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Our Lab Technician sent out a Digital Torque Gauge to an ISO 17025 accredited Lab to be calibrated. That lab then outsourced the calibration (without giving written notice to us per ISO 17025) to a secondary vendor, who it turns out was not ISO 17025 accredited. However, the secondary vendor was actually the manufacturer of the gauge.

The Lab Technician who received back the calibration results thought that since the OEM performed the calibration, that it shouldn't be a problem even if they were not ISO 17025 certified. The Lab Tech did not realize that per TS 16949, the OEM should only be used if an ISO 17025 lab could not be found.

However, my question now, is should we have immediately re-calibrated the gauge by an ISO 17025 lab?

Our thinking is that in moving forward, we will most certainly ensure gauges (outsourced or not) will be calibrated by an ISO 17025 lab. However, we did not have additional money in the budget for the re-calibration right then, and since the manufacturer actually calibrated the gauge, it's not like the calibration results were invalid.

What are your thoughts? I would appreciate the help!
Hope that you have disqualify this ISO 17025 Lan due to not having met your requirements too.
Besides, from your side , it seems strange to me that you have paid a service to a 17025 Lab that in reality it has been done by another Lab ( even though vendor). What was the stamp on the certificate of calibratrion? The one of 17025 one or the one of vendor Lab? Were the acceptance criteria in incoming the gauge, that you have externally calibrated , met? How do you proceed for this? I think that the issue is very tricky and complex, given that it could put in jeopardy also the other calibrations that the 17025 has done for you. I am very cuirious which kind of corrective action you have put in place here, if possible.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anerol C Should I apply for a job if I'm not available to take the job immediately if offered? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
W Strategy for determining which components from a system should be "ME EQUIPMENT" -- home healthcare environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
B Documented information - Should be controlled? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Is engineering a process and should it have its own process turtle? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Which MDCG Document should I use for PMS Plan and PSUR? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Who should quality representative report to? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
H When should the first PSUR be issued? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I If i do not want to be an initial importer should i register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B UKRP to what level should you audit Class I Technical Documentation? UK Medical Device Regulations 0
C When should you quit programming? Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 9
C Should resolution be included in uncertainty budget for digital caliper or micrometer calibration? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
Ed Panek External Standards List - Should this document include previously revised standards? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T How should I approach REACH, CM, etc. as a job shop? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 18
A Should we assign the PRRC before the date of application of MDR (26 May 2021)? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J UDI-DI how should we interpret Device version or model to determine if a new UDI-DI is needed? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Should ISO 9004 be changed from a guidance document to a requirements standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
A Should I take an online course for a career in Occupational Health and Safety? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Should APQP/PPAP has its own section in a QM? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
S What should i choose for "testing procedure" characteristics? (N95) General Information Resources 0
P Should eIFU link per ISO 15223-1:2016 be added to labels out of scope of Reg 207/2012? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Which Sampling Plan(s) Should I Use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
A Document release vs its related training. Which should come first? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
S Which department should prepare the control plan? could you show me a standard regarding to this matter. FMEA and Control Plans 17
J Help settle a disagreement: Should external providers of preventive maintenance be on your ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
N Master Samples - What should we be keeping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
G Supplier delivered recent PPAP, should he deliver yearly layout inspection? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
John Broomfield Vote - Should ISO9004 Become a Requirements Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
A Capability Study - in the beginning of your career what should you have known about the tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
J Should Loading and Unloading be Included in Cycle Times? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
E Manufacturers should develop a testing device for covid19 Service Industry Specific Topics 0
T 510(k) submission - Which name should I use in the submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N ISO 19011:2018 - 5.4.2 "...audit program should engage in appropriate continual development..." Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Should 510(k) Predicates be Actively Listed Devices? Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
J On PFMEA for danger labels - Label always should be assigned severity 10 ? FMEA and Control Plans 3
H Who should be listed as the manufacturer/distributor on the box? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
BeaBea How Many Processes should be created for each Department? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M Should volume of sales be factored into risk probability assessments? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 33
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Which incubation condition should be selected to recover both bacteria and fungus effectively Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
D Is there a specific location for PPE such as safety glass holders and glove dispensers should be mounted Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
Robert Stanley Which Registrar Should I Choose for ISO 9001:2015 registration? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
M Who should receive the bills from suppliers and vendors, account payable or procurement? Consultants and Consulting 4
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10