Showing competency for new hires?

Gman2

Involved - Posts
What are the guidelines for this? And what are some of you doing?
Right now we are doing nothing as far as documenting our new hires as it pertains to competency or testing.
I am thinking about implementing a quick aptitude test for new hires in the plant and assembly, but what about management new hires? Will their resume with education and work history be enough?
If it is why would that not work for shop employees when they fill out their apps and put down their education and work history?

Any help on this would be great.

I am already in the middle of putting together a training schedule and matrix for each employee and their machines/areas witch will be reviewed every six months, but this question is for new hires.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

mshell

Our organization states that we hire new employees based on our perception of their competency level (obtained from application, educational records, past experience, etc.) After 90 days, the employee is assessed based on job description requirements.

If you will look in the Training Needs Assessment thread, I have posted a competency profile. It may not be the best but I think it will work.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Are employee's able to achieve the desired results based upon their application of education, training & experience? Yes or No?

How do you make this determination as an organization?

Is the methodology you use effective?

Do you have a means of overcoming employee shortcomings?

Anything else is BS and superfluous.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Randy and CarolX have good suggestions.

My guess is other people's competency guideline for specific positions (regardless of industry or actual task) will essentially boil down to:
  1. What specific skill does a person need to accomplish a task?
  2. How do we determine our requirement is valid?
  3. How can we test a person to see if he has the required skill before training?
  4. How can we train someone to acquire the skill? (in-house or outsource?)
  5. How can we evaluate the training?
  6. What guidelines do we use to ensure whether the training needs to be readministered?
  7. How do we evaluate whether there is a better method to perform the task or better training to learn the method?
(In my opinion, someone who needs to be supervised while performing a task is not yet adequately trained. "Supervision" being different than "checked" or "inspected." Certainly, "supervision" is different than just being available to answer a question.)

I think the easiest way would be to just have the supervisors check on their work. This is probably something that you do anyway. Your normal inspection/quality confirmation process also confirms competence. If I'm getting a lot of rejects, then my competence may be questioned.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
db said:
...Your normal inspection/quality confirmation process also confirms competence. If I'm getting a lot of rejects, then my competence may be questioned.
This is one of the ways we do it. The operator number and defective operation are noted on the red tag. This info is included in our red tag log.

Jobs are assigned to operators by the department supervisor based on the type and complexity of the work to be done and the skill level of the operator. This works for us because we have about 50 skilled tradesmen on the floor and very low turnover. Our lathe department, for example, is 4 manual lathe operators and 2 CNC lathe operators. The newest one has been here for 4 years, the longest employed has been here for 12 years.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Robert Stanley I'm @ RISK of not showing my RISKS! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
D Required Checklist Showing Compliance to IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 11
T NAFTA request for form with no part numbers showing Supply Chain Security Management Systems 0
Sidney Vianna LinkedIn bug - Anyone has any idea of how to fix this? Posts not showing for me in a Group feed. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
C Document Numbering Matrix showing how to number all documents by type Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Showing the Response Surface Experimental Point in MiniTab Using Minitab Software 5
S Showing Evidence of Review and Approval of Blank Forms and Templates 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R In 510k application do we submit documents showing compliance with 21CFRPart820 Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
L Customer Inquiry - Graph showing the expansion of oil (mm) at different temperatures Service Industry Specific Topics 5
1 Template Showing Before and After Improvement Process Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
S Control of Documents - Showing Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C Flow Chart showing Interaction of Core and Support Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D Workflow showing Sequence and Interaction of Processes in a Recruitment Scenario ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L Showing compliance to ISO9001 Clause 6.4 Work Environment - IT services company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Monitoring Temperature in Medication Refrigerators - What will Cpk showing us? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
M Showing the Effectiveness of the Internal Audit Process System - AS9100B Clause 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
RoxaneB Does anyone have a clear way of showing alignment between PDCA and ISO 14001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
RoxaneB Does anyone have a clear way of showing alignment between ISO 9001 and PDCA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D ISO 9001 tree - Diagram showing the inter-relation of all the ISO clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
W Responsibility Matrix - Showing managers what their Responsibilities are Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
G Costs of NonConformity - A Flow Chart Showing Costs Involved Nonconformance and Corrective Action 22
Raffy Internal Auditing - Showing independence of process being audited Internal Auditing 4
D Showing Interrelationships - How Much Detail? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J TL9000 Release 2.5 and 3.0 - Mapping matrix showing the difference TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 4
D Calibration work instuctions - Micrometers, indicators, etc. showing the uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Marc Implementing ISO9000 - Timeline showing major milestones ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
I IATF Lab Scope Testing Qualification and Competency Documentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Internal and external auditor competency to CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
M IATF 16949 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency - Trainer's competency Internal Auditing 7
J ISO 17025 Documented Procedure for 6.2.5 - Determining competency ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
D QA Inspector testing - Test for competency Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
S API Spec Q1 - How to define Management Representative competency for QMS Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
K Changing from Procedure based to Process based Competency Evaluations General Auditing Discussions 5
J ISO 9001 2015 - 7.2 Competency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Documentation of Competency, Awareness IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J ISO 9001 Competency - Forklift License and Internal Auditors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C AS9100 Cl. 7.2 Competency for contract workers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K IATF 16949 Line and Dock Auditor Competency Requirements Internal Auditing 4
C IATF 16949 Cl. - 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C IATF 16949:2016 Cl. 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 39
Q IATF 16949 Cl. 7.2.3 - Internal Auditor Competency and Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q How can an Internal Auditor Trainer's Competency be Evaluated - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P Problem with IATF 16949 Clause 7.2.3 Requirements (Internal Auditor Competency) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Competency of Trainer for Internal Auditor Training (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
L Auditing Top Management - Meeting Competency Requirements and Questions to Ask General Auditing Discussions 11
S How to evaluate "competency" of consultants ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
T MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Competency Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
A Assessing/Mapping Employee Attitude during Competency Mapping (Assessment) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
C Appropriate ways to address Competency? Generic vs Specific ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Competency requirements of an SOP Writer/Trainer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6