Showing Interrelationships - How Much Detail?

D

david williams

Iso 9001:2000

Is there a source showing alternative approaches to flow charting of "processes". We are a manufacturing company that buys raw materials, combines them and resells a product. We have the standard distribution of departments/functions.It's unclear to me what level of detail and interelationships are going to be expected.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

sneekparty

Alternative for flowcharting..?

He David,

I don't know any easy to use alternatives, but if the processes in the departments are similar why don't you make just one flowchart in which you describe the proces and then describe in the scope of that procedure that the procedure concerns all the (assembly) departments in your company...

Hope this helps you...
Greetings,
Martin

A

Anton Ovsianko

Dear David,

I have always followed the principle, that any action within the QMS has to contribute to operations efficiency first and only then to ISO 9001 compliance. In your case that means that the level of detail should be as high as it helps. In other words, you have to stop detalization, as soon as it starts raising trouble for those who have to use or follow the flowcharts.

Basically I consider an operation elementary, if it does not involve activities of several people from different departments. This is of course too simplistic - only the basic principle. Then we go into deeper details flowcharting, if there are reasons to think we have to describe the procedure more exactly. Such reasons may include:
- lack of understanding of the process by the executors;
- changing, made to the process;
- non-conformances, observed in the process or its results recently (if they may be caused by the lack of understanding the process);
- a new process may have to be described in more details;
- need to improve the process efficiency;
etc.

But once again: you do not have to break up operation, which are understood by everybody in the company and fulfilled without non-conformances or problems.

MHO

Anton

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Using a Matrix Here to show detail

We are identifying the current actual and using this format. This isn't the completed/updated version, but what I started out with. We actually combined several processes so our list is shorter but some might leave them separated...

Anyway use what you want of the format...and if someone improves on it...post it back so I can see it too!

Eileen

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Robert Stanley I'm @ RISK of not showing my RISKS! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
D Required Checklist Showing Compliance to IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 11
T NAFTA request for form with no part numbers showing Supply Chain Security Management Systems 0
Sidney Vianna LinkedIn bug - Anyone has any idea of how to fix this? Posts not showing for me in a Group feed. Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
C Document Numbering Matrix showing how to number all documents by type Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Showing the Response Surface Experimental Point in MiniTab Using Minitab Software 5
S Showing Evidence of Review and Approval of Blank Forms and Templates 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R In 510k application do we submit documents showing compliance with 21CFRPart820 Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
L Customer Inquiry - Graph showing the expansion of oil (mm) at different temperatures Service Industry Specific Topics 5
1 Template Showing Before and After Improvement Process Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
S Control of Documents - Showing Document Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C Flow Chart showing Interaction of Core and Support Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D Workflow showing Sequence and Interaction of Processes in a Recruitment Scenario ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L Showing compliance to ISO9001 Clause 6.4 Work Environment - IT services company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Monitoring Temperature in Medication Refrigerators - What will Cpk showing us? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
M Showing the Effectiveness of the Internal Audit Process System - AS9100B Clause 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
RoxaneB Does anyone have a clear way of showing alignment between PDCA and ISO 14001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
RoxaneB Does anyone have a clear way of showing alignment between ISO 9001 and PDCA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D ISO 9001 tree - Diagram showing the inter-relation of all the ISO clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
W Responsibility Matrix - Showing managers what their Responsibilities are Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
G Costs of NonConformity - A Flow Chart Showing Costs Involved Nonconformance and Corrective Action 22
Gman2 Showing competency for new hires? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Raffy Internal Auditing - Showing independence of process being audited Internal Auditing 4
J TL9000 Release 2.5 and 3.0 - Mapping matrix showing the difference TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 4
D Calibration work instuctions - Micrometers, indicators, etc. showing the uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Marc Implementing ISO9000 - Timeline showing major milestones ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
M Do I Expect Too Much of Job Candidates? Career and Occupation Discussions 33
B ISO 9001:2015 Transition: Much Easier Than You Think! Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
E How much a bioequivalence study will cost in the UK Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
pammesue So much turnover, How to improve our training process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
T ISO 9001:2008 to 2015 transition - How much work to change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
P ISO 9001:2015 4.2 and 6.1 - Interested Parties - How much detail is required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
I How much does an eQMS (Electronic/Software QMS) cost? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
J Process Capability - How much percentage of tolerance? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
W How much would it cost to setup a Quality System for a Repackager or Relabeler? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
G How much to pay a Freelance Six Sigma Trainer in India Six Sigma 1
M 7.5.3.2 Traceability - How much traceability is required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S How much do trainers charge typically for an Adobe Connect / WebEx based training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
kedarg6500 How much test force to be applied for Vickers hardness Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D AS9100 Recertification Audits - How much in advance of the Certificate Expiration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
J Sourcing a Sterile Product - Asking for supplier for too much regulatory stuff? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
D IMR (Individuals and Moving Range) Chart for Short-Run SPC - How much data to include Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
V How much Supplier Information do I have to provide to a Customer? APQP and PPAP 6
V For an RSM, how much R-sq is good R-sq Using Minitab Software 3
R How much Protective Current Rating of Building Branch Circuit should be considered? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R How much "harder" is an ISO 13485 Registration Audit compared to ISO 9001 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M MSA - According to the formula cg how much tolerance should be put in place? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Sidney Vianna The frequent flyers that flew too much... Unlimited AAirpass Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11