Sign off SOPs

Lulugrey

Registered
I have a question about SOPs. I am a new quality manager for ISO 9001:2015, my manager decided that he wanted SOPs for everything that occurs in the company including quality management. So I've had to write my quality procedures in SOP format. I've been asked to sign off SOPs as quality manager, the manager of each team and the health & safety officer also has to sign off each SOP. As I've been in a team of one, I've been asked to sign off my own SOPs, that doesn't seem right. I have just been joined by a new, untrained quality coordinator, it wouldn't seem right to get her to sign off either. What is your opinion on this? (My manager isn't quality trained, he has no idea of the standards)

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
I've been asked to sign off SOPs as quality manager, the manager of each team and the health & safety officer also has to sign off each SOP.

As I've been in a team of one, I've been asked to sign off my own SOPs, that doesn't seem right.

You are the only one qualified under those criteria. There is nothing wrong with that in 9001, even if it seems odd.

There is a similar issue with internal audits and impartiality requirements in 9001. TS9002:2016 states in this regard:
In some cases, specifically in smaller organizations or areas of the organization where specific job knowledge is required, it can be necessary for a person to audit their own work.

So, the standard accommodates these kinds of situations.

Golfman25

Not sure how many sign offs you‘re needing, but it’s no uncommon to have the manager of the department both write and sign his own department’s procedures.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
As QM I sign every QMS procedure/WI in the company. I also have the top manager representing the area covered by the document sign, i.e. if it is a Purchasing procedure, I and the Purchasing Manager sign it. If it is a "quality" procedure like incoming inspection I sign it and my boss signs it. Works for us.

Top Bottom