Signature on Management Review Minutes - Quality Records

QUALITYTRAINER

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

Basic question. I can't find anything in ISO 13485 or FDA QSR that requires a signature or initials on a vaulted hard copy of a mgt review minutes (which contains all of the slides, CAPAs etc ... from the meeting). I can see an auditor asking 'how do you approve your quality records'. Even with these records not viewable to FDA inspectors, I'm surprised that this isn't specifically stated (even in a guidance document).

I've looked at ISO 14969 (the guidance for ISO 13485). Not the FDA QSR Preamble.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

gholland

Involved In Discussions
Re: Signature on Mgt Review Minutes

21 CFR 820.20(c) says that the mgmt review has to be documented with the results and date of the review. 820.186 says that documents mentioned in 820.20 have to be QSRs that comply with 820.40. Looking at 820.40 it says that you have to have the date and signature of your reviewers/approvers for your documents. Assuming your mgmt review team reviews/approves the results/minutes of the meetings then they have to sign/date them.

:2cents:

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Signature on Mgt Review Minutes

gholland, I followed your logic up to the point of 820.40. 820.40 says that designated individual(s) review...and approve. So, to me, it doesn't imply that the entire review team reviews / approves - just the designated individual(s).

I've seen companies get dinged because they do require every meeting attendee to review and approve minutes. This often results in someone not being available for approval and the record somehow gets filed without all signatures. Even if they do get all signatures, approvals often take weeks (it sits on someone's desk for a few days, etc.).

So I agree that approval is required, just not the entire team.

gholland

Involved In Discussions
Yes you have the right of it, the designated person/people will have to sign. I just made the assumption that would be the team.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hi,

Basic question. I can't find anything in ISO 13485 or FDA QSR that requires a signature or initials on a vaulted hard copy of a mgt review minutes (which contains all of the slides, CAPAs etc ... from the meeting). I can see an auditor asking 'how do you approve your quality records'. Even with these records not viewable to FDA inspectors, I'm surprised that this isn't specifically stated (even in a guidance document).

I've looked at ISO 14969 (the guidance for ISO 13485). Not the FDA QSR Preamble.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Although it's not about management review, there's some related discussion in this thread: Calibration Certificates - Do Calibration Certificates Need to be Reviewed?.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D 21 CFR Part 11 - Electronic Signature Management SOP Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Management Commitment signature issue in same Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 8
sridharafep Quality Policy without Top Management Signature Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
A 21 CFR part 11 - section 11.100 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
Q Document approval through SharePoint (without signature) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
L MDR 745 - EU Declaration of Conformity - Signature Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
W Customer Signature / Acceptance Service Reports Service Industry Specific Topics 2
QIE FDA 21 CFR Part 11 "Meaning of Signature" Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
I Document Signature Software? (Certificate Authorities) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
S Is Adobe Sign - E-signature for QMS documents - 21 cfr part 11 compliant? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Signature manifestations - 21 CFR Part 11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
M Electronic signature - name.lastname or equal to handwritten Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Electronic Signature - Certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
M Suggestions for Electronic Signature Software (FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
S Medical Device Servicing - Forms and Signature ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Imaged signature is it Ok? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
G Auto electronic signature on Calibration Form ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Wet Signature Document Attachments in SAP - Risk on Data Integrity issue? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
S Boss wants customer delivery signature specimen form Customer and Company Specific Requirements 16
B Digital Signature Solutions acceptable to use in an FDA Medical Device Environment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T Test Report - Customer Signature - Customer did not witness test General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Requirement to have Customer Signature Profile on File Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
L Must the Signature on a Quality Record be Legible? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 33
A Do controlled documents require a signature on every page as per 21 CFR 820.40? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
x-files Signature(s) on ?Document control form? and/or on ?Document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
K AS9102 Field 19 Signature Requirement AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
C 21 CFR Part 11 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
H Is this training records signature app FDA compliant? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
T "Typing name on MS.Word directly" can be "Electronic Approval Signature" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R 21 CFR 11 Timeframe of Inactivity after which all Signature Components are Required? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
M Part 11 Compliant Digital Signature Requirements - Sharepoint Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
G Signature Missing from Calibration Certificates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D E-Signature Compliance Requirements for Training Records Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
S 21 CFR Part 820.198 - Complaint Files & Electronic Signature 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D How to meet AS9100 Electronic Signature Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J How to Link Electronic Records (510k Documents) to Handwritten Signature Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 16
L Employee Signature List for Medical Device Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
D Electronic Signature Documents - FDA Requirements for Retention and Hardcopy Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
P Part 11 Hybrid System - Partial paper based record but with e-signature Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
Q Physical vs. Digital Signature Requirements Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
sagai Automated System's Signature on Electronic Record - PART11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
E Approval Signature Record Retention Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
E Signature of Records - Microsoft Word forms Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
S AMS2750 rev D - para 3.2.6.2 - "Signature of the calibration company representative" Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
J Electronic Signature Validation Protocol example or template Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
kmyers Question about paperless signature - Electronic signatures in outlook emails ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Drawing Revision History Question... Signature on EO or ECO Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
A Signature Required on Quality Policy? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
S Need solution to AS9100 signature requirements on the plans, and/or changes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Customer Drawing Approval - No approval signature on prints ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25