Significance of regression, correlation coefficient, hypothesesi, confidence interval

silverjlp

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I am a statistics student. I have a Minitab assignment. My professor is making us learn Minitab on our own - really. I desperately need help and step by step help. I know very little about Minitab.

Here are the questions:
The weight and systolic blood pressure of 26 randomly selected males Assume that weight and blood pressure are jointly normally distributed.
(a) Find a regression line relating systolic blood pressure to weight.
(b) Test for significance of regression using α = 0.05.
(c) Estimate the correlation coeffiient.
(d) Test the hypothesis that ρ = 0, using α = 0.05.
(e) Construct a 95% confidence interval for the correlation coefficient.

Here is the data:
Weight Systolic BP
165 130
167 133
180 150
155 128
212 151
175 146
190 150
210 140
200 148
149 125
158 133
169 135
170 150
172 153
159 128
168 132
174 149
183 158
215 150
195 163
180 156
143 124
240 170
235 165
192 160
187 159

I think I can do the regression line using Stat - Regression - Fitted line plot, right?

How do I answer b-e?
You are not doing my homework for me, even if you answer step by step.
I appreciate all you can offer

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Re: Significance of regression, correlation coefficient, hypothesesi, confidence inte

See my response to your other thread. Fitted Line Plot and regression will give you the same equations. The difference is that Fitted Line Plot will only handle one predictor, does provide a graph, but provides a condensed report in the Session Window. Regression can handle more predictors, including discrete, does not provide a graph, but provides more detailed reports.

silverjlp

Starting to get Involved
Re: Significance of regression, correlation coefficient, hypothesesi, confidence inte

Hello
I am able to get a-c done, but I'm very lost on testing the hypothesis.

r, rho, is the population correlation coefficient for the paired variables

I can use STAT>BASIC STATISTICS>CORRELATION to find the values but I don't know how to test the statistic.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

r, rho, is the population correlation coefficient for the paired variables

I can use STAT>BASIC STATISTICS>CORRELATION to find the values but I don't know how to test the statistic.
When you use STAT>BASIC STATISTICS>CORRELATION, check the box labeled "Display p-values". Then compare the p-value from the Session Window output against your alpha = 0.05.

silverjlp

Starting to get Involved

Hi,
So I don't need to do a t test?

Thanks

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin

No. The p-value for the correlation test is all you need to answer the question.

silverjlp

Starting to get Involved

Fantastic! You have been so awesome. I truly cannot thank you enough for ALL of your replies.

Thank you. :agree1:

Hello,

I am a statistics student. I have a Minitab assignment. My professor is making us learn Minitab on our own - really. I desperately need help and step by step help. I know very little about Minitab.

Here are the questions:
The weight and systolic blood pressure of 26 randomly selected males Assume that weight and blood pressure are jointly normally distributed.
(a) Find a regression line relating systolic blood pressure to weight.
(b) Test for significance of regression using α = 0.05.
(c) Estimate the correlation coeffiient.
(d) Test the hypothesis that ρ = 0, using α = 0.05.
(e) Construct a 95% confidence interval for the correlation coefficient.

Here is the data:
Weight Systolic BP
165 130
167 133
180 150
155 128
212 151
175 146
190 150
210 140
200 148
149 125
158 133
169 135
170 150
172 153
159 128
168 132
174 149
183 158
215 150
195 163
180 156
143 124
240 170
235 165
192 160
187 159

I think I can do the regression line using Stat - Regression - Fitted line plot, right?

How do I answer b-e?
You are not doing my homework for me, even if you answer step by step.
I appreciate all you can offer

Hello friend , you first put your data in Minitab then at tool tab select [stat > display statistics> correlation ] so you get correlation analysis whether your relation strong or not. You get your Pearson coefficient also. After that in [Stat>regression> fit line model ] you select variables and you get regression anysis. And on graph you get coefficient of determination value [R^2] . that value should be more than 80% which shows your model is appropriate to explain variability.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Inference for Regression Slope in Minitab - Significance test for Beta Using Minitab Software 0
optomist1 It’s time to talk about ditching statistical significance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S What is the significance of UDI date requirements for Class 1 devices? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
L What are the rules on significance of digits in numbers in IEC/ISO standards? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
O Test of Significance for Input Variables Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
E Correlated data or not? Determining the significance of differences in means Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
J Statistical Significance and SPC Control Chart Reports Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
T Significance Test for Count Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M Determining if two different X's have any Statistical Significance on the Y's Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M PS 9000:2001 significance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Rameshwar25 What is the significance of Spread in Calculating GRR (Gage R&R)? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A Audit "Finding" Definition and Significance General Auditing Discussions 7
T What is the significance of a drawing note number appearing inside a box Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
T What is the significance of "Cut Off Length" in roughness and waviness measurement? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Environmental Aspect Significance Determination and Scoring Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
D WWF Panda Bear Logo Significance for Sustainability Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
T Significance of Key Characteristic definition change vs. MIL-STD-1916 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
R Inherent vs. Residual Risk & Significance - ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
S MSA Analysis - Bias one sample method - Significance of t (v, 1-alpha/2) , V, d2 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P The Significance of Lean and Six Sigma Outside Manufacturing - Thesis Questionnaire Six Sigma 0
A Significance of X chart in AIAG MSA sheet for Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
R 'Quality Month' - Why is November chosen in many countries? Any significance? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 11
K EMS Auditing - Misunderstanding Aspect Significance Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 66
R Cpk value interpretation - What is the significance of Cpk value of 1.33? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Marc Significance of the RAB - Including Registrar Customer Feedback and Data ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
V Regression and homoscadasticity test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Least squares estimate, regression model and corresponding residuals Using Minitab Software 13
N Regression Model (Minitab 18) - Which values my input parameters should have Using Minitab Software 2
A Why I get a different kind of regression equation when I do the same data in a differ Using Minitab Software 7
P Basic Minitab Help - It's about Linear Regression Using Minitab Software 1
R Regression for MTBF (Medical Device: Repairs vs Install Base) with Reliability Data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 16
S Regression Control Chart - Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
C Regression with Life Data, Incorrect Minitab Documentation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
P How to do Multiple Regression Analysis in Minitab 16 Using Minitab Software 8
B Using Minitab 17's Stepwise Regression to Predict Feature Using Minitab Software 2
A Predictive Model Development (Regression?) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S How to use Dummy Variable in Regression Model in Minitab Six Sigma 2
S ANOVA/Regression - Analyzing a Dataset which contains over 4500 Points Using Minitab Software 3
O Minitab Script to Save Regression Plots to an Image File Using Minitab Software 8
W Zero setting of correlation graph when plotting best fit linear regression Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Regression Analysis / ANOVA using Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
E How to run an OLS or Logistic Regression when I have Panel Data in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
S Using Minitab for Multinomial Logistic Regression Using Minitab Software 2
J Minitab Rank Deficiency Issue - Binary Logisitic Regression Using Minitab Software 1
M Understanding of Regression and ANOVA in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
P Regression Analysis for Aging Study in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
A Questions about Regression for Modeling, Best Experimental Design Using Minitab Software 2
N Linear Regression Formula with Four Variables to a Power Regression Formula Using Minitab Software 2
Q Regression Analysis for the Attached Data - help needed - TIA Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 13
B Regression analysis with discrete dependent variable and continuous independent var. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13