Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory
Social Distancing - It's not just YOUR life - It's ALL of OUR lives!
Me <——————— 6 Feet ———————-> You

Significant Characteristics (SC) to Control Plan

Maly

Registered
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum and need some help with Control Plan "Special Characteristics". I am trying to update PFMEA and CP, and trying to figure out what the "special characteristics, pph" stands for? Would anyone here know of the "special characteristics" for the Japanese OEM would be (Nissan/Honda/Toyota)?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
It would be helpful if you told us where you're seeing "special characteristics pph." As for the Japanese (or any other) OEM requirements, the best source for information is your customer(s).

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
By definition:

"Special Characteristic"-Generic, no designation
Special Characteristics are those product or process characteristics
that affect vehicle or process safety, compliance with government
regulations, or customer satisfaction, and for which specific actions are
required to ensure products will meet all engineering requirements as
well as requirements for operator safety.

Four categories of "Special Characteristics"

1) Critical - (FMEA Severity 9 & 10)
Critical Characteristics (CC) are those product parameters and requirements that can affect compliance with government regulation or safe vehicle/product function, and require special actions or controls that must be listed on a Control Plan.

2) Operator Safety - (FMEA Severity 9 or 10)
Operator Safety (OS) characteristics are related to parameters that do not affect the product but may have an impact on the safety or governmental regulations applicable for the process operation, e.g., Occupational Safety and Health Administration [OSHA] requirements, Health and Safety Specifications. This is a hazard for in-plant operators. These characteristics should be included on a safety signoff.

3) Significant - (FMEA Severity 5-8 & Occurance 4-10)
Significant Characteristics (SC) are those product parameters and requirements that are important for customer satisfaction and for which Quality Planning actions must be addressed on a Control Plan.

4) High Impact - (FMEA Severity 5-8 & Occurance 4-10)

High Impact Characteristics (HI) are related to parameters that severely affect the operation of the process or subsequent operations if they are outside of the specification tolerance.
Hello everybody,

Regarding High Impact Characteristics (HI) and Operator Safety (OS) Characteristics are they for the manufacturing plant or for the customer ?

Thank you.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
These were asserted by a shetheri as definitions, but I have never encountered them before, nor did a search result in anything.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
They may be definitions specific to the poster's organization or industry...I've heard over a hundred different 'phrases' like this - people just have to make up their own terminology and assign their own definitions to common words.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
These were asserted by a shetheri as definitions, but I have never encountered them before, nor did a search result in anything.
Thanks. I should have read before posting. I've never seen those designations either, so they probably emanated from an individual company.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted
I may have missed this..but this post is automotive or mobility field specific? All the way back to the first post...experience informs us that whether required or not, when using poke yoke, the SC/Poke Yoke should remain in the CP...."red rabbit, gold rabbit", used to check at beginning of shift or other significant line stoppage/resumption...

kbg1000

Registered Visitor
Hello everybody,

Regarding High Impact Characteristics (HI) and Operator Safety (OS) Characteristics are they for the manufacturing plant or for the customer ?

Thank you.
These are Ford designations. Hi Impact are characteristics with PFMEA severity of 5-8 and Occurrence greater than 3. Operator Safety characteristics are "failure modes with a severity rating of 9 or 10 due to an effect of the process on the process operator" per Ford's FMEA Handbook v.4.2. As far as I know, both can be applied to customer or internal manufacturing.

Top Bottom