Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Significant Characteristics (SC) to Control Plan

kbg1000

Registered Visitor
Must be relatively new. I have an older copy of the Ford Handbook and it does not have them.
Actually, the 4.2 handbook version is from December 2011 so it's not really new. And judging from the title of the first similar thread listed below, they may have changed some of the designations as they built their six sigma effort (I haven't read that thread so not sure!)

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
Yes these characteristics are mentioned in a few FORD handbooks and IATF 16949 as well. The problem is that it is not specifically written whether they are for manufacturing or for the customer or at least I could not find it.

I assume they are applicable for both as kbg1000 stated.

If anyone with experience can give a practical example for both that would be good.

We had a minor finding for 8.3.3.3 The system of special characteristic is not fully effective. No SC identified on the Process control plan. The way I understand it states you have to have system in place to identify SC but does not state you have SC if none determined during risk analysis for the product and manufacturing reviews in APQP??
8.3.3.3 The organization shall use a multidisciplinary approach to establish, document, and implement its process(es) to identify special characteristics, including those determined by the customer and the risk analysis performed by the organization, and shall include the following:
a) documentation of all special characteristics in the product and/or manufacturing documents drawings (as required), relevant risk analysis (such as Process FMEA), control plans.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
Yes these characteristics are mentioned in a few FORD handbooks and IATF 16949 as well. The problem is that it is not specifically written whether they are for manufacturing or for the customer or at least I could not find it.

I assume they are applicable for both as kbg1000 stated.

If anyone with experience can give a practical example for both that would be good.
Try looking at the charts for the RPN numbers. If I remember correctly it has customer on the left side and process on the right side. Like this.

Attachments

Could someone help clarify 8.3.3.3 Special Characteristics requirement?
Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave: Can you tell us how your quoting of the standard relates to the post you quoted?
I was asking a question in regards to the 8.3.3.3 ? Is it requirement to have SC if none was identified from DFMEA or customer?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Could someone help clarify 8.3.3.3 Special Characteristics requirement?

I was asking a question in regards to the 8.3.3.3 ? Is it requirement to have SC if none was identified from DFMEA or customer?
I see it now. It's not a good idea to tack a question onto a thread that deals with a different subject. If you don't identify special characteristics and you're customer hasn't either, there is no requirement to create them for the control plan.

Top Bottom