Definition Significant Event definition - 8.2.3.1 - Monitoring & Measurement of MFG Processes

R

rickmcq

Part of this clause says "Significant events, such as tool change or machine repair, shall be recorded".

Let's say that a "tool" is a mold or machining fixture. Would the Significant Event be that the currently running tool was damaged and removed for repair or replacement of a like tool?

What information would the record contain?

Thank you
Rick

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: 8.2.3.1 Monitoring & Measurement of MFG Processes

Part of this clause says "Significant events, such as tool change or machine repair, shall be recorded".

Let's say that a "tool" is a mold or machining fixture. Would the Significant Event be that the currently running tool was damaged and removed for repair or replacement of a like tool?

What information would the record contain?

Thank you
Rick

A significant event could contribute to an out of control condition if the process is monitored statistically. I.e. an assignable or special cause.

Information in the record could include:
  • A brief description of the situation
  • Part being processed
  • Tool
  • Operator
  • Time
  • Shift
  • Etc.
This information may be helpful when investigating a possible out-of-control condition and/or problem/nonconformity.

Stijloor.

R

rickmcq

A significant event could contribute to an out of control condition if the process is monitored statistically. I.e. an assignable or special cause.

Information in the record could include:
  • A brief description of the situation
  • Part being processed
  • Tool
  • Operator
  • Time
  • Shift
  • Etc.
This information may be helpful when investigating a possible out-of-control condition and/or problem/nonconformity.

Stijloor.

Thanks, but I'm still stuck on the phrase "Significant process events". The examples given in the clause are certainly significant as far as what would need to be expended to correct an out of control condition. Adjusting speeds and feeds to maintain a surface finish for a greater number of parts, before the finish goes out of control, isn't?

Rick

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Thanks, but I'm still stuck on the phrase "Significant process events". The examples given in the clause are certainly significant as far as what would need to be expended to correct an out of control condition. Adjusting speeds and feeds to maintain a surface finish for a greater number of parts, before the finish goes out of control, isn't?

Rick

OK, let me give you another example. :agree1:

The sources of variation in any process are introduced by:
  • People (Man)
  • Information (Method)
  • Materials (Materials)
  • Machines/Equipment (Machine)
  • Environment (Mother Nature)
  • Measurement (Measurement)
Any event associated with these six sources of variation should be recorded.
  • A new operator
  • A changed/modified method
  • A new batch of materials
  • A machine breakdown/change repair
  • A sudden change in the physical environment
  • A change in the measurement system
The change in retrospect may not be as significant as initially thought. So you can disregard it. Ultimately, let process knowledge (history/lessons learned) be your guide. Process monitoring and control is not an exact science. Use common sense. :)

Stijloor.

R

rickmcq

OK, let me give you another example. :agree1:

The sources of variation in any process are introduced by:
  • People (Man)
  • Information (Method)
  • Materials (Materials)
  • Machines/Equipment (Machine)
  • Environment (Mother Nature)
  • Measurement (Measurement)
Any event associated with these six sources of variation should be recorded.
  • A new operator
  • A changed/modified method
  • A new batch of materials
  • A machine breakdown/change repair
  • A sudden change in the physical environment
  • A change in the measurement system
The change in retrospect may not be as significant as initially thought. So you can disregard it. Ultimately, let process knowledge (history/lessons learned) be your guide. Process monitoring and control is not an exact science. Use common sense. :)

Stijloor.

Ok. I see it now. Thank you.

Rick

Top Bottom