Simple SPC Software recommendations

W

Wayne G.

Perhaps someone can help. I am looking for some simple SPC software. I recently began a new position with a metal fabrication company, where SPC has never been used. In the past, I have used Minitab (automotive and aerospace), but here I would only use perhaps 10% of Minitabs capability. Is there some simple software out there? Or SPC for Excel?

Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Looking for simple SPC software

It is very easy to set up the control chart formulae in Excel itself. We (two other statisticians and myself) just use Excel here for our SPC (2,000+ charts per month).

C

Coleman Donnelly

If by SPC software you are looking for control charts then I would recommend QC-Calc. It can also calculate gage R&R and Cp/Cpk indices etc. If later you decide that you would like to go back to Minitab it also has a great direct interface option that makes using the collected data in Minitab much simpler and quicker.

K

KathySmith

Excel spreadsheet - there are also free add-on?s offered by MS with macro's already written to calculate and chart common SPC information. Furthermore, since Excel is so widely used, you will be able to find lots of examples on the internet with how to chart and organize the data.

If you have a specific customer prompting for SPC, like a large defense contractor, you might be able to have them spot you software and training from their organization. I've had mintab15 software and training given to me by Lockheed in the past when I was QC Manager for a small machine shop.

Before that, and different customer Goodrich sent us to DOE school to learn minitab13.

reynald

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi Wayne,
I go for Excel, and this after doing SPC both from a very expensive/awesome deployment software and an inexpensive/nice software. What I have experienced is that software deals only the user-friendliness aspect of the deployment. The initial hype brought by the "wow" factor of an awesome software dies down soon however if end-users don't have enough "faith" in the control charts, and enough discipline to react to OOC trends.

Bottom line if I would have to do it all again I'll start with a free/readily available software and focus on building faith/discipline first. Then if both are in place and the number of charts has become un-manageable, that is when I would start to look for some fancy software.

Regards,
Reynald

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N SPC charts, simple xls sheets and free software - Need newbie information Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Can you help with a simple SPC sheet to judge if inspection is Good / No Good ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
J Seeking: Simple Excel .xls SPC spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 15
G Rework, Reprocess, or Correction - A simple blurred letter on the legible etching ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
C Looking for simple Software Validation IQ templates. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
C Micrometer and Vernier Caliper simple calibration process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
I Tracking Protoype Changes; 8D or simple document revision? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Simple and effective way to maintain Training Matrix ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
J Simple supplier evaluation qualification process form that includes Risk Assessment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L Simple Example for PFMEA / Control Plan Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
kmyers Simple ISO 9001:2015 Overview Presentation wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
V Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R - Simple vs Complex Techniques Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
V Making a choice of Simple vs Comprehensiveness of Procedure/System of any Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K Simple ISO 9001 Compliant Document Control Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 24
R Determining the feasibility/scope for FDA IQ/OQ against a very simple application US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R Root Cause for "Simple" External Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Marc What Airlines Really Charge (In 1 Simple Table) Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 6
E Simple Calibration Procedures for Surftest SJ-400 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Too Simple an Internal Audit Check Sheet? Internal Auditing 10
T Microsoft Access Database to create a Simple Calibration Certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Destructive Attribute MSA for Simple Water Leak Check in Trailers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
V Best CAPA for slip in simple-yet-persistent oversight-review mechanism Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
A Simple 125 piece part Capabilty Excel .xls sheet to calculate Cpk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
R A simple electronic (software) document control question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A QSM documents for Simple Designs Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
M Looking for a simple procedure on section 7.5.2 for Validation of Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Proud Liberal Making a simple Sampling Plan by Variables Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Z IEC 60601-1-2 for very simple Medical Device Accessory IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
P Monitoring Production Defects - Three simple questions Six Sigma 3
C Simple explanation of Uncertainty in Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
V External power supply with reinforced insulation as a simple secondary circuit? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Conducting Limited Internal Audits of QMS Elements - Simple question I hope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K How to set up a simple Complaint and CAPA workflow Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
V Simple Representation for Scope of DFMEA and PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
Stijloor Simple Navigation Guide for the MSA 4th Edition Manual Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
S Simple Cartoons needed Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
X FDA Approval Process - Simple Explanation requested US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
K Definition Box Plot - Simple Explaination of what a Box Plot is Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
M Simple Field Pipeline Demagnetization Procedure needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
6 Simple Flow Diagram with CCPs for Processing of Raw Fish Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
V Can Anyone Give a Simple Explanation on ndc (number of distinct categories)? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T Export "Simple Notification" required by the FDA under Section 802 of the Act Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Ajit Basrur EAC, Simple Code and NACE Code ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
1 Simple Dock Audit Form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Colin Simple Home Remedies Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 6
J Simple Corrective Action Flow Chart example needed Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
B Overall Process Capability - Simple question if you know how to answer it! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Colin Simple Preventive Action Procedure - Service Company (Please Review) Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 20
A Control of records - what's simple and works! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A Simple Quality Maturity Assessment Tool needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4