Simplified Uncertainty Equation for Pipette Calibration

J

jatmoko

According to ISO 8655-6 Annex B, we can use a simplified equation to assess the uncertainty u of the delivered volume at the 95 % confidence level:
u = Es + 2Sr.

My question: What is the volume range we can use for the equation?
Or for what's the volume range (small volumes) we must provide for a complete evaluation, given in ISO 20461.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

BradM

Staff member
Admin
From the same annex:

If a more detailed consideration is necessary, e.g. for very small volumes or for delivering apparatus with very high precision, this simplification is no longer valid, and a complete evaluation of the combined uncertainty has to be made.
My opinion.... I would consider all contributors to uncertainty for all ranges, until you can establish evidence of stable values among the different ranges.

Too... you have the issue of how many samples you are taking too.

Have you already completed full analysis on all ranges?​

J

jatmoko

sorry for mylate reply

I agree with your opinion, It's better to calculate all contibutor.
We just started to arrange a SOP for pipette calibration and study the standart. And wanna to know the limitation the simplified equation. We think with simplified equation = simple work -).

We have not completed full analysis on all ranges yet. I suppose we should do it,If there isnt excact limit for the range,

G

George Weiss

Keeping it simple is a lean business approach.
Are you calibrating for your self or a customer?
Is the calibration under ISO-17025 or 13485, ANSI/NCSL Z540.3, and etc. ?
Is your customer in the USA FDA kingdom?
Pipettes are used in regulated medical testing.
Keeping it overly simple can be a non-conformance, and cause serious headaches.
In the calibration of a Pipette, the uncertainty calculations should to be performed in an accepted manner.
This allows for an internationally accepted manner of reporting, to include coverage factor, degrees of freedom, and etc.
Simple is the first step.
Doing it correctly is the best , and final step.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
sorry for my late reply

I agree with your opinion, It's better to calculate all contributors.
We just started to arrange a SOP for pipette calibration and study the standard. And wanna to know the limitation the simplified equation. We think with simplified equation = simple work -).

We have not completed full analysis on all ranges yet. I suppose we should do it, If there isn't exact limit for the range.
I agree with your opinion, It's better to calculate all contributors.
Especially starting out, it's especially important.

We just started to arrange a SOP for pipette calibration and study the standard. And wanna to know the limitation the simplified equation. We think with simplified equation = simple work -).
I tend to agree with you in philosophy and approach. Too... there is nothing that dictates you need to have some overly complex method of calculating uncertainty. However, all contributors (or potential contributors) do need to be examined.

Once you have done estimations for a while and you have established some stability and such, you can probably look to abbreviate things then.:agree1:

We have not completed full analysis on all ranges yet. I suppose we should do it, If there isn't exact limit for the range.
:yes: I would certainly test pipettes in as many different ranges as you think you can handle. The more the better. It will allow you to have more comparison and perspective starting off. Again, once you have established some stability and process control, you can back off the level of testing somewhat.:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Medical Devices and ASD-STE100 (Simplified Technical English) Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
N Redoing the QMS to be Simplified Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
D "Simplified" AS9100 and ISO 9001 Internal Audit Checklists ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
R GAMP (Good Automated Manufacturing Practice) simplified please. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
P Simplified Statistical Sampling Plan - Printing Industry Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Simplified Explanation of the 8 Quality Management Systems Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Configuration Management Simplified - Complying with AS9100 Clause 4.3 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 12
GStough Looking for a Simplified Internal Audit Checklist (ISO 9001 / ISO 13485) form General Auditing Discussions 14
C Simplified version of QFD (Quality Function Deployment) - Ford Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Marc Simplified Job Application Form Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
D Simplified Attribute MSA Gauge (Gage) R&R for Plug Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
B IEC 60601-2-10 - Accuracy of Pulse Parameters - Required Measurement Uncertainty IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
F Missing value of Uncertainty B Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
F Issues in Uncertainty Estimation Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
F Operator Manual and Type B Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
F Learning Uncertainty Budget for Novice - Fluke 5520A Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
G Does pitch/increment/resolution of a ruled scale apply to measurement uncertainty as line item? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
R Uncertainty in measurement larger than tolerance Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
S Uncertainty Budgets - Phase Noise (SSB), Harmonics Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Consideration of Uncertainty in Making Benefit-Risk Determinations in Medical Device Premarket Approvals, De Novo Classificati Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Uncertainty Budget - Externally produced sensor module Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
E Discussion between co-worker on tolerance and uncertainty and how to apply it. Thoughts? 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
G Assigning a calibration tolerance - An x-y coordinate machine - Uncertainty as my verification tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
G 3 Operator Std. Dev. and uncertainty calculation Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
G Reporting measurement uncertainty for custom items Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
L Gage R&R for test precision or uncertainty prediction? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G Uncertainty of staging a short line scale standard on longer measuring machine? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
K Measurement Uncertainty Budget (MU) of for Ultrasonic Thickness gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
G NIST SOP 29 - Assignment of Uncertainty - Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
M Medical Device News FDA news - 05-09-18 - Draft - Uncertainty in Benefit-Risk Determinations Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
G Can Measurement Machine Bias be part of Uncertainty? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G How to include machine error in uncertainty calculations? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
D Difference between uncertainty and expanded uncertainty of measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Calibration certificates avowing accuracy beyond the uncertainty limits? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
G ANAB ISO 17025 Accreditation - Uncertainty and systematic error? ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
G How many Uncertainty Measurements for Micrometers and Calipers? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
G What degrees of freedom means in uncertainty budget and how do I set the value Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
G Uncertainty Experts - ISO 17025 - If the Distribution is Rectangular Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
G Uncertainty Budget Examples for Caliper, Micrometer and Dial Gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
P Uncertainty and Significantly Different Means - Buffer Solutions Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
S Pressure Gauge Calibration Uncertainty Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
E Uncertainty of Mean - Test rig that measures water temperatures Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
J Internal Laboratory Scope and Measurement Uncertainty (MU) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
G Manual Procedure with Uncertainty Budgeting for either a Caliper or Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C MU (Measurement Uncertainty) in an Internal Calibration Laboratory Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
N How to Convert Micro Volts into Temperature Uncertainty Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
N Include homogeneity uncertainty into budget table for thermocouples Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
J CMM Uncertainty Calculation Question - Deviations Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 9
M Uncertainty Budget for a Micrometer Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5