Since NIST # can not be used to verify Traceability - What an Auditor should do

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Attached is a couple of documents that clarifies the usage or disposition of NIST numbers in the certs. It is not a requirement to place that number in the certification.

Q. - what should auditors (Internal / External) use to meet the requirements of 7.6?

Where necessary to ensure valid results, measuring equipment shall

a) be calibrated or verified, or both, at specified intervals, or prior to use, against measurement standards traceable to international or national measurement standards; where no such standards exist, the basis used for calibration or verification shall be recorded (see 4.2.4);

Attachments

• Press Releases - A2LA Policy on the Use of NIST Test Report Numbers as Evidence of Tracibility(1.pdf
    96.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IAQG email responce.doc
    2.4 MB · Views: 179
  • NCSL Position Statement 96-1.doc
    62.5 KB · Views: 120

BradM

Leader
Admin
Re: Since NIST # can not be used to verify Traceability - what should auditor do

While it is true that numbers are no longer used, the auditee should be able to demonstrate an unbroken chain to NIST or other standard reference.

dsanabria

Re: Since NIST # can not be used to verify Traceability - what should auditor do

While it is true that numbers are no longer used, the auditee should be able to demonstrate an unbroken chain to NIST or other standard reference.

OK - How?

BradM

Leader
Admin

OK - How?

Ah ok.
I would start by asking for the records for a few different process instruments.
There should be sufficient information (make model serial number cal date) to then ascertain the next traceability level. It may be an in-house standard or go to the vendor.

Then, they should provide supplier audit information where the tractability of the vendor has been assured.

Not sure if that helped. :)

BradM

Leader
Admin

Oh, and depending on how technical you wished to get, you can verify standard suitability by verifying uncertainty/accuracy ratios.

dsanabria

Ah ok.
I would start by asking for the records for a few different process instruments.
There should be sufficient information (make model serial number cal date) to then ascertain the next traceability level. It may be an in-house standard or go to the vendor.

Then, they should provide supplier audit information where the tractability of the vendor has been assured.

Not sure if that helped. :)

Thanks

That establishes certainty and appropriate analysis but what about traceability to NIST (per 7.6) - visiting vendors is not the best practical solution for 3rd party auditors.

Just wondering why it was place in the standard?:confused:

BradM

Leader
Admin

That establishes certainty and appropriate analysis but what about traceability to NIST (per 7.6) - visiting vendors is not the best practical solution for 3rd party auditors.

That's true, but the auditee should provide the evidence that the standards have appropriate traceability. I would think you would be verifying that an effective process is in place for standards traceability. The auditee should provide evidence they have verified vendor traceability. :)

dsanabria

That's true, but the auditee should provide the evidence that the standards have appropriate traceability. I would think you would be verifying that an effective process is in place for standards traceability. The auditee should provide evidence they have verified vendor traceability. :)

I suppose ... and then follow it up with approved supplier list and objective evidence that the supplier used for calibration is traceable to NIST.

Thanks for taking me to a logical conclusion.:applause::applause::applause:

Big Jim

Admin

I suppose ... and then follow it up with approved supplier list and objective evidence that the supplier used for calibration is traceable to NIST.

Thanks for taking me to a logical conclusion.:applause::applause::applause:

Part of what I got out of the attachments is that it doesn't need to be NIST. With that said, it could certainly be some other international or national standard.

Top Bottom