Sintered Metal Machined Parts Rust Removal Methods

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
I have been assigned a project to:
i) elminate or minimize the amount of corroded parts we have
ii) develop an effective method of reworking lightly corroded parts.

Our parts are powdered metal which is then sintered and machined, washed and rinsed with an RP, and then shipped to the customer. During the recent heat waves in SW Ontario, we have had a lot of internal fallout for rust on the machined surfaces.

I have several ideas on how to reduce the amount of corrosion that occurs, but I am still developing ideas for reworking parts.

Does anyone else here have any experience or knowedge of the following processes (when used as a method for removing light surface rust)

1) CO2 (dry ice) blasting
2) Soda blasting
3) Ultrasonic cleaning

All 3 of these are possible methods that I am looking at, and I have a sales rep from a supplier visiting me next week. However, I already know how well he is going to say it works - I would like to hear from people who have actually USED the process, to see what they think.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
... During the recent heat waves in SW Ontario, we have had a lot of internal fallout for rust on the machined surfaces...
Somewhat :topic: Probably more a function of the humidity than heat. Wikipedia reference-linkAircraft_boneyard

Had a similar issue a number of years back when a switch was made to transportation by rail to Mexico. The company ended up scrapping one heck of a lot of parts and ($$$) individually wrapping each part in a rust inhibiting paper (I forget what the brand, etc. was).

ncwalker

There is a product called Naval Jelly that works miracles.

Of the others you listed, I would think soda washing would be the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

RCH2016

Involved In Discussions
I just recently saw a video of a new technology that uses a laser to remove rust. It seemed to work pretty quickly, but the tool was a little expensive.

Starting to get Involved
For prevention purposes you could consider using VCI (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor) products, e.g. from Cortec Corp.

For overseas shipments and storage of up to 2 years in Shanghai (hot and humid summers by the sea) we use Cortec VpCI-369 to protect our machining parts. However, that stuff has an almost waxy consistency and needs to be cleaned off before use.

If you don't need the hardcore version, VCI papers and/or foils might help. They emit VCI particles that form a thin film on the surface of the part.

Ron Rompen

I just recently saw a video of a new technology that uses a laser to remove rust. It seemed to work pretty quickly, but the tool was a little expensive.
Yes, I watched that video as well - very impressive, but as you pointed out, also extremely expensive.

Ron Rompen

Thanks to everyone who has responded with suggestions. To share a little more information on our processes:

1) We do apply a Rust Inhibitor as the final process step prior to packaging. OEM requirements prevent us from using any kind of grease or similar product which would require removal prior to use.
2) Volume of parts currently rejected is not extremely high, however it is an added cost which we are trying to recoup.
3) Wrapping parts individually in VCI paper is also not acceptable to our customers (and the cost of doing so would be ~ $0.25/pc). We do line our returnable dunnage with VCI (either paper or plastic) but since the dunnage is not sealed airtight, it cannot be 100% effective.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ron Rompen Help with Corrosion (Humidity) Testing Procedure - Sintered Metal Steel Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
A Management of Chemical Substances in Products - Sintered automotive parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
E IEC 60601-1 - Unearthed Medical Device Metal Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J Raw material certificates - CC - Safety products - Sheet metal stamping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Literature review/HACCP validation of metal detection Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
M Informational US FDA paper – Biological Responses to Metal Implants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final guidance – Metal Expandable Biliary Stents – Premarket Notification (510(k)) Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Q IATF rule for single site - Ingots from scrap metal recycling company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
C AMS2750E - Noble metal as a Load sensor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
V Thinning percentage in sheet metal forming per SES (Suzuki Engineering Standard) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
F AS9100 D - Verification of purchased product - Sheet metal and aluminum extrusion stock AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F MOPP in battery powered device with metal enclosure IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D Error proofing ideas sheet metal punches Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
D IEC 60601 Defibrillation protection test - Metal foil IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Ron Rompen Crack testing of powdered metal parts General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Test method for presence or absence of hexavalent chromium on a metal coating RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
R Statutory/Regulatory for NACE Code 25.9 (Manufacture of fabricated metal products) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Industry Standards - Sheet Metal a Machine Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Measuring an Untrue Radius - Metal Stamped and Formed Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
S Metal Radiographic and Ultrasonic Testing - Special Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
J Receiving Inspection for Metal Strips & Wires Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
V Root Cause help needed - Sheet metal breaking at press Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
C DFAR 252.225-7008 - Is aluminum, say T6061, considered specialty metal (i) steel? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
J Internal PPM's in a medium sized metal stamping plant Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
G Metal Scale (SIP-Societe Genevoise) change in size over time? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
G Metal Stamping Process Audit Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
B Mitigation of emission of flames, molten metal, poisonous or ignitable substance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
N Control of Metal Plating Baths - Contamination from base metals Service Industry Specific Topics 4
T Technical automotive metal stamping cliffnotes needed! Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
L Caliper Calibration Standards - One for CNC and one for Sheet Metal? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
E Composites - Metal Bond - Removal of excess film adhesive Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Validation of Class I Metal Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A MIL STD 105 D or ISO 2859-2? Receiving Metal Sheets Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
P Testing Zinc Coating on Expanded Metal Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
L Calibration of Metal Rulers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
M Supplier Nonconformances - Key Points to ask a Metal Stamping Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
B Plating Shop - Forums specifically related to the plating / metal finishing industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
H Determining Takt Time in Metal Stamping Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
B Determing Machine Capability in a High Mix, Low Volume Sheet Metal Shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T Electrical Surgical Tool with Big Metal Applied Part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
V Tolerance achievable for Sheet Metal Part with some weld - 0.4mm TP Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
C Casual Contact With Exposed Metal - Infusion Pump - Type CF Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
G Sampling Plan for Inspection of Metal Parts after CNC Machining Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 34
V Standard for Cleaning and Washing Metal Stampings Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
A Device to measure "Straightness & Deformation" of a metal that's under water Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D Medical Device Grade Paint for Metal Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
B FDA Guidance on Metal Injection Molding process validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
V Standard for Metal Stamping Deburring Process APQP and PPAP 5
S Definition Tempering - Definition of "Tempering" of Metal Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 24
corg79 How to Reduce Inspection Frequency in Metal Stamping Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4