Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
I have a question, our sister-company is only ISO registered; they would be providing a part to us (IATF) of which we would be doing very minimal work to before sending the part to our customer. The customer seems to be okay with the idea. What roadblocks would I run into, with regards to registrar audits?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

brandieb1230

Involved In Discussions
Section 8.4.2.3 Supplier quality management system development. I don't want to quote it word for word (copyright infringement) but basically says as long as they are ISO 9001 and working towards the ultimate objective to be certified to the automotive QMS standard.

jimmymustang06

Involved In Discussions
Section 8.4.2.3 Supplier quality management system development. I don't want to quote it word for word (copyright infringement) but basically says as long as they are ISO 9001 and working towards the ultimate objective to be certified to the automotive QMS standard.

Thanks, I did just see that myself, which raised another question; could our customer write up an exemption for this clause, specifically the "working towards" part? The other option I thought of pursuing would be clause 8.4.1.3 Customer-directed sources. It does say that most all of 8.4 would apply, which means we would probably still end up back at 8.4.2.3. The problem with "working towards" is, this part would be the sister company's only automotive part. We aren't inclined to spend thousands extra for an IATF cert for only one part, at least not in the beginning. If more auto parts would be sourced, we would re-think that position.

brandieb1230

Involved In Discussions
Thanks, I did just see that myself, which raised another question; could our customer write up an exemption for this clause, specifically the "working towards" part? The other option I thought of pursuing would be clause 8.4.1.3 Customer-directed sources. It does say that most all of 8.4 would apply, which means we would probably still end up back at 8.4.2.3. The problem with "working towards" is, this part would be the sister company's only automotive part. We aren't inclined to spend thousands extra for an IATF cert for only one part, at least not in the beginning. If more auto parts would be sourced, we would re-think that position.

If I were you, I would ask the customer- some of my SQE's would have no issues- others might. I would have my ducks in a row to show how you are verifying the conformance of the product in house from the sister- site as you are well aware we are responsible for our suppliers.

The fine print- working towards - that could be A LONG TIME to complete. I think as long as they are showing steps that they are considering it (reading standard, researching certification bodies and what is required, risk assessment of not having it (just some of the ideas of the top of my head))- it might work. ;)

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
"working towards" doesn't really have a meaning. Check out sanctioned interpretation 8. It allows you to determine supplier development via a risk based approach.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Sister Company Moving to AS - First time "consultant" - Help? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
J In the ISO 9001:2008 company, can give reference to sister company also. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B Odd First Article Question - Part made by a sister company APQP and PPAP 7
N Certificate of Compliance from a Sister Company for FDA 21 CFR 820 Exemption 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
quality1 Sister Company makes Cables & Wires - Design & Development Exclusion Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
A Sales in Europe of CE marked Medical devices with sister company EU Medical Device Regulations 11
C Auditing A sister Company in Czech - looking for suggestions/inputs Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
N Auditing Of Our Sister Company's QMS - How do I know their procedures? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
J Another "Parent Company" Question - 'Sister' company handles sales IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J TS 16949 Registration - 90 day sister company registration requirement? Registrars and Notified Bodies 17
K Outsourced Major Processes - Working for Two Sister Companies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
BradM The Cove's Sister: Quality Forum Online Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
J ISO/TS 16949:2009 Remote Support Provided By Sister Plants IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C "Sister Plant" Supplier Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Auditing Abroad - Internal Audits of our European Sister Companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
G FDA requirement that 'sister divisions' to be treated as suppliers in 21 CFR 820 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Can one Management Representative operate between two sister firms ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 55
S Incoming Receiving Inspection from Sister Plant IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
T Effective system to track a Technology Transfer to a sister plant US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Change Management - How do you Manage Change Management between Two Sister Companies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A Intercompany auditing - ISO Internal Audit of Sister Companies General Auditing Discussions 5
M Outsourcing Design Work to Sister Facilities - How to best go about doing this Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
R Sister Plant PPAP Question - Can we hold the PPAP paperwork and not send it to them? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
I QS and ISO Sister Companies Joining? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
R MDEL and company affiliate Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
E Our company is planning to file MDD not MDR next month. Do we require to show chemical characterization report ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Is QMS like a set of rules and regulations that a company follows? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
E Contract manufacturer FDA requirements foreign company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
D IATF 16949 Requirement for CMMI in a Global Company Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
M Address change for a company with CE/ISO13485 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M IT validation for a paper based MD repair company QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M QMS for a repair/servicing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Internal Audits in a tiny Dx Company Internal Auditing 33
T ISO 13485 - 5.5.1 Responsibility and authority - Small Company Independence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
F Quality manual for trading company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Implementing the PRRC role in a company EU Medical Device Regulations 5
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 17
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
U Document Approval - Software company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T EQMS for small medical device company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
qualprod Corona virus Contingency plan - What have you done in your company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
Q Must product name be listed the same name in FURLS, UDI, GUDID and Company Website? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
Z 510(k) usage - Company has 2 physically similar products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Q Company Ownership Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
L Contracted Manufacture Company wanting to be able to design and manufacture own product. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
D ISO9001 for one man company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11