Six Sigma in Maintenance Department

Geoff Cotton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Maintenance Dept v 6 sigma

Dear forum,

We have a mintenance team that looks after all manufacturing site services, plant and tool stores. We are looking at cost / leadtimes / working practices / sub-contract services, etc.

Anyone had experience of applying 6 sigma to a maintenance environment.

Any thoughts or pointers you could offer would help.

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Just wondering if anyone is seeing six sigma in maintenance.

Geoff, did you find out anything elsewhere? What did you eventually come up with?

WALLACE

At my Ford location they are using Six sigma tools and techniques very loosely within the skilled trades areas of maintenance.
I haven't heard of a six sigma project being initiated per se yet, the tools and techniques are being used within the Ford Production System (FPS) and the Ford total productive maintenance (FTPM) initiatives.
Wallace.

Geoff Cotton

Marc,

Had no direct success (yet), however we are about to start a project on reliability and maintainability of our machines.

We have picked up some maintenance issues when working on other projects, which have not particularly targeted the Maintenance dept. directly. Issues such as availability of fitters have come to the surface.

One project on machine uptime identified if we moved from doing length change overs to doing diameter changes instead we saved around 2 hours fitting time per change over and the setter/operator could do it himself – no need for fitters to get involved.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Six Sigma in Financial Services

The way I see it, six sigma is just statistics so it should be applicable everywher, actually. Glad to hear you're starting some studies.

I was thinking of this thread when I saw the following. It's an advertisement, however it does illustrate how 'six sigma' is King. It's one of the most vaulable 'pay per click' key words around, by the way... Anyway, it's in financial now so I guess it's everywhere:
Six Sigma Forum to Reveal Best Practices for Financial Services Industry
By PRNewswire
Feb 3, 2004, 15:21

Financial services organizations are growing revenue, increasing customer satisfaction, and reducing costs through Six Sigma deployment. Benefits from the application of Six Sigma multiply beyond the results of specific process improvements. An increasing number of companies in the financial services sector find that Six Sigma methodology pushes daily decision-making, efficiency, and effectiveness to continually higher levels. Specifically designed to teach companies how to take advantage of this increasingly growing trend, this forum will present practical applications and live experience that will help participants understand how Six Sigma can drive performance in financial services organizations.

The event will feature solutions, best practices, and case studies providing specific insight into:

• Using Six Sigma strategically to achieve corporate objectives and revolutionize corporate culture
  • Winning strategies to dramatically increase productivity by applying Six Sigma to labor intensive processes
  • Implementation of Six Sigma methodologies in the Financial Services to improve performance at front, middle and back-office processes
  • Ways to quantify and reduce defects in the Financial Services value- chain - thus increasing efficiency and reducing cost
  • Determination if your organization is ready for the culture change dimension to Six Sigma
  • Discussion of alternatives to start your own journey to Six Sigma

Join the following industry leaders for in-depth case studies and expert commentary:

• Citigroup
  • Merrill Lynch
  • Bank of America
  • Deutsche Bank
  • Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation
  • Fidelity Investments
  • Wachovia Corporation
  • IBM Business Consulting Services
  • AON Risk Services
WALLACE said:
...the tools and techniques are being used within the Ford Production System (FPS) and the Ford total productive maintenance (FTPM) initiatives.
Seems to me if they're using the tools, that's what matters. :2cents:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
J Lean Maintenance - Six Sigma's DMAIC guideline serving as a roadmap Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 7
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
Marc ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 - Phoenix, AZ ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
Bev D ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Levels of Lean Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 3
J Excellent Resource on Statistics / Lean / Six Sigma Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
M How Organizations maintain Six Sigma and TQM in their Operations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Can Six sigma support ISO9001? If yes, in what ways? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
L Toyota doesn’t use Six Sigma Six Sigma 1
N Implementation of Six Sigma in Service industry Service Industry Specific Topics 17
J Six Sigma Green Belt (SSGB) from a college - Options? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Bev D ASQ 2015 Lean Six Sigma Conference: Bev D's Presentation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
K Looking for Six Sigma Black Belt projects in Customer Service Six Sigma 7
S Quality / 9001/ Six Sigma Audio CD Recommendations? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Q Advice for the Implementation of a Lean/Six Sigma Program Six Sigma 9
A Application / Use of Hypothesis Testing in any Six Sigma Black Belt Project Six Sigma 8
T Tools Six Sigma for my Automated Machine Six Sigma 8
V Pareto Analysis - Six Sigma - 'Productivity Improvement' project Service Industry Specific Topics 1
N Lean Six Sigma Deployment Six Sigma 2
G How much to pay a Freelance Six Sigma Trainer in India Six Sigma 1
M Six Sigma in the Software Industry Six Sigma 6
G Looking for live project in company for Six Sigma Black belt Project Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
B How to identify Six Sigma Yellow Belt Project Six Sigma 4
K ASQ Six Sigma Handbook - Should I purchase the Black Belt handbook now? Six Sigma 5
alonFAI Six Sigma Green Belt Certification help Career and Occupation Discussions 5
H Chosing a Six Sigma Green Belt Project - Software Industry Six Sigma 9
S Suggestions for Six Sigma Online Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
S Example of a DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) Project or a Case Study Six Sigma 4
S Lean Hospital - Implementing a quality/lean/six sigma program Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
K Choosing a Six Sigma training organization Six Sigma 4
C DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) project or SSBB project? Six Sigma 8
H Case Studies of Six Sigma in Service Processes Six Sigma 1
S Need help with Project Charter for my Six Sigma Green Belt Project Six Sigma 1
G Six Sigma Case Studies - Does anyone have a good source for LSS case studies? Six Sigma 8
P The difference between Six Sigma Black Belt and Master Black Belt Six Sigma 2
V Quality/Manufacturing/Six Sigma Jobs - Tri State (NJ,NY,CT) Career and Occupation Discussions 1
P Integration of Lean and Six Sigma Six Sigma 3
C Who should develop a LSS (Lean Six Sigma) project charter? Six Sigma 2
R How to implement Six Sigma within an IT-driven organisation? Six Sigma 14
K What is the role of the Six Sigma Black Belt? Six Sigma 9
G IQF Six Sigma DMAIC Certification vs. ASQ Certification Six Sigma 4
D Determining Sample Size for Capability in Six Sigma Project Six Sigma 5
C Using CSSGB/CSSBB as a Title - Six Sigma Question Six Sigma 3
T Kaizen vs. Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 6
V Presentation and Question about ASQ's Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 5
N What are three kinds of flow in Lean or Six Sigma? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4