Six Sigma in Spare Part Manufacturing - How to start?

B

blue moon

Dear Friends

Now i will start with a manufacture of spare parts, to implement six sigma as a part of my thesis. i get their approval, They are a Dies and spare parts factory, but most of their business in the spare parts as reverse engineering

they have CNC Machine and heat treatment unit, No control chart or SPC tool used , but have measuring device like caliber and micrometer to measure the dimension and hardness of metal, these devices are calibered periodicly.

So i will from the begaining, also i hope with your post this topic could be a guide for every one will implement six sigma

======================================================

1- For define phase i think that:
1.1 make a pareto chart for the defects or for complaint from customer so we can what our problem.
or
1.2 Use FMEA to list all process and calculate the RPN

i think at the two way it will produce that problem or the high priority exist in dimension of spare parts or in hardness of metal.

Can you evaluate this for me?

Regards

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Dear Friends

Now i will start with a manufacture of spare parts, to implement six sigma as a part of my thesis. i get their approval, They are a Dies and spare parts factory, but most of their business in the spare parts as reverse engineering

they have CNC Machine and heat treatment unit, No control chart or SPC tool used , but have measuring device like caliber and micrometer to measure the dimension and hardness of metal, these devices are calibered periodicly.

So i will from the begaining, also i hope with your post this topic could be a guide for every one will implement six sigma

1.1 make a pareto chart for the defects or for complaint from customer so we can what our problem.
or

i think at the two way it will produce that problem or the high priority exist in dimension of spare parts or in hardness of metal.

Regards

It sounds to me like you're trying to identify an appropriate problem-solving methodology before you even know whether there's a problem or not. Also, you might be creating a false dichotomy--which is to say you're identifying the priority as either A or B and not allowing for other possibilities. It might be possible to work on A and B at the same time.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Before you begin the Define phase, you should select a suitable project. The Define phase documents an already selected and scoped project.

There are a number of articles on project selection here.

The most effective approach that I have seen is to:

1. Start with a Business Problem (Large Y). This may be an internal (e.g., scrap) or external problem (e.g., returns).
  2. Identify the process (small y) that drive the business problem. Scope your project around this. Start the Define and Measures Phases here.
  3. During the Analyze Phase, identify the factors (x) that drive the process (y) that drives the Business Problem (Y).
  4. During the Improve and Control Phases, optimize the factors (x).
  5. Verify that the process (y) and the Business (Y) show demonstrable and sustainable improvement.
Do not immediately select a project because it is easier to measure.

A

AdamP

Dear Friends

or

Regards

As other replies note, it sounds like you are trying to select a stand-alone DMAIC project for the sake of satisfying some thesis requirement.

If you really want to help this manufacturer, you might step back and get a better view of their business model. From the model, you could create an end to end map of the high level business processes and from that, by using customer feedback, financial data, compliance data, etc. make that map "come to life". That will tell you if there is anythign substantial enough for a SS project.

If this is happening in the absence of an overall program for improvement, you might also want to think through your communication plan on how to set realistic expectations for the management. One project might improve something specific but won't fix their business.

Cheers,

Adam

Top Bottom