Six Sigma Value and ROI (Return on Investment)

J

Jimmy Olson

6 Sigma Value and ROI

Greetings All.

I am interested in finding out if anyone has some information, or knows where I can find some, on the value and ROI of 6 Sigma. I am interested in attending some training (just a green belt) and need to try to convince the company to pay for it (instead of me) :vfunny:

I realize there are a lot of opinions on 6 Sigma and that it is overrated. I agree that it is overrated. But from what I know about it, it does offer some valid tools and use. The debate is that anyone who has had other training or education knows it already. But I haven't had any other training yet and am looking at this as a good way to get some additional skills under my belt that I can use and expand on. So any information on how to justify the training cost would be greatly appreciated.

I am also interested in lean manufacturing as well, but I'm not too familiar with that and am unsure of which one might be more beneficial. So any opinions on that would be appreciated as well.

I realize there is more than just one question here, and apologize. But I'm just confused. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jimmy Olson

Thanks Atul. That looks like a pretty good site that I will have to spend some time looking at.

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Marc said:
Anyone have any information re: ROI they can post here?
I'm curious, Marc. Why the sudden interest in 6S today?
It seems like the 24 hour log is filled with 6S stuff created or resurrected by you today.

B

bonterra

I'm the Internal Auditor for a small staffing agency that is TL 9000 certified. I'm interested in Six Sigma but need to justify the expense of training to upper management. We have not thoroughly implemented data driven process measurements. At this point it's mostly a "feels good" or "feels right" type of environment. So, considering 6S focuses on statistical measurement, I wonder what the value would be for our organization?

Also, if anyone out there lives near Portland, Maine and is doing a 6S project and would like some volunteer help - I'd be most interested in hearing. I would love to be able to experience a project first hand, before attempting one on my own.

Barbara Launer

F

favqty

I'm the Internal Auditor for a small staffing agency that is TL 9000 certified. I'm interested in Six Sigma but need to justify the expense of training to upper management.
Barbara,
I think that it is more easy if the upper management give the direction to start a green belt training. You can justify the training but without their support 6S or any other tool will become useless.

This is something that must to start at organization's head management.

I am sorry if I am so straigth but I think truth is better than anything else.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

B

bonterra

Thanks for the reply, I agree that any 6S program needs upper management support. However in order to justify the training, I need more stats on the value of 6S. I'll visit the website for articles that was noted in a previous post on this subject. But what I would really like to do is work with another company that is initiating a 6S project so I could gain first hand experience. I'd volunteer my time. I live in Maine, travel to DC once in awhile.

T

tim.akerman

Bonterra, 6sigma works with processes, therefore will work with ANY process. If you don't have processes, how have you got TS9000?
Six sigma is the application of problem solving and statistical analysis techniques in working through the Define, Measure Analyse Improve and Control (DMAIC) cycle of process improvement with the aim of eliminating process defects and process variation.

If you go for 6 sigma, you will learn how to express "feels good" and "feels right" in terms of "% correct" and "defects per million opportunities". You will also be able to identify when despite everything feeling good, something is definitely wrong! At the moment by the time you get to "feels bad" there is a really big problem.

Six sigma is working in all sorts of service environments from banking to call centres. One of the people I am studying with on a six sigma black belt course is currently problem solving in a software support call centre.

It is hard to get senior management support for this kind of training. Sometimes you need to do a bit of background learning and show something unexpected in the data that exists before they can be convinced. If you can get the green belt training, you can learn everything you need to know to put a case together for more training.

I am based in the UK, so unfortunately I can't help with a 6s project.
Good luck!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CarolX Stimulate some reader response by questioning the Value of Six Sigma Six Sigma 18
Marc Six Sigma - Statistical Tools - Valid or Hype? Value? Can a CQE do the same? Six Sigma 204
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 7
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
Marc ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 - Phoenix, AZ ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
Bev D ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Levels of Lean Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 3
J Excellent Resource on Statistics / Lean / Six Sigma Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
M How Organizations maintain Six Sigma and TQM in their Operations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Can Six sigma support ISO9001? If yes, in what ways? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
L Toyota doesn’t use Six Sigma Six Sigma 1
N Implementation of Six Sigma in Service industry Service Industry Specific Topics 17
J Six Sigma Green Belt (SSGB) from a college - Options? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Bev D ASQ 2015 Lean Six Sigma Conference: Bev D's Presentation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
K Looking for Six Sigma Black Belt projects in Customer Service Six Sigma 7
M Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
S Quality / 9001/ Six Sigma Audio CD Recommendations? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Q Advice for the Implementation of a Lean/Six Sigma Program Six Sigma 9
A Application / Use of Hypothesis Testing in any Six Sigma Black Belt Project Six Sigma 8
T Tools Six Sigma for my Automated Machine Six Sigma 8
V Pareto Analysis - Six Sigma - 'Productivity Improvement' project Service Industry Specific Topics 1
N Lean Six Sigma Deployment Six Sigma 2
G How much to pay a Freelance Six Sigma Trainer in India Six Sigma 1
M Six Sigma in the Software Industry Six Sigma 6
G Looking for live project in company for Six Sigma Black belt Project Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
B How to identify Six Sigma Yellow Belt Project Six Sigma 4
K ASQ Six Sigma Handbook - Should I purchase the Black Belt handbook now? Six Sigma 5
alonFAI Six Sigma Green Belt Certification help Career and Occupation Discussions 5
H Chosing a Six Sigma Green Belt Project - Software Industry Six Sigma 9
S Suggestions for Six Sigma Online Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
S Example of a DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) Project or a Case Study Six Sigma 4
S Lean Hospital - Implementing a quality/lean/six sigma program Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
K Choosing a Six Sigma training organization Six Sigma 4
C DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) project or SSBB project? Six Sigma 8
H Case Studies of Six Sigma in Service Processes Six Sigma 1
S Need help with Project Charter for my Six Sigma Green Belt Project Six Sigma 1
G Six Sigma Case Studies - Does anyone have a good source for LSS case studies? Six Sigma 8
P The difference between Six Sigma Black Belt and Master Black Belt Six Sigma 2
V Quality/Manufacturing/Six Sigma Jobs - Tri State (NJ,NY,CT) Career and Occupation Discussions 1
P Integration of Lean and Six Sigma Six Sigma 3
C Who should develop a LSS (Lean Six Sigma) project charter? Six Sigma 2
R How to implement Six Sigma within an IT-driven organisation? Six Sigma 14
K What is the role of the Six Sigma Black Belt? Six Sigma 9
G IQF Six Sigma DMAIC Certification vs. ASQ Certification Six Sigma 4
D Determining Sample Size for Capability in Six Sigma Project Six Sigma 5
C Using CSSGB/CSSBB as a Title - Six Sigma Question Six Sigma 3
T Kaizen vs. Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 6
V Presentation and Question about ASQ's Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 5