Size of QMS / Size of company - What advantages do small, simple organizations have?

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
What advantages do small, simple organizations have when implementing and using ISO 9001:2000?

The organization in mind would be small business, defined as up to 50 people. The company receives information from customers or creates its own designs for a product that can be easily monitored and measured, is not overly difficult to produce, and the processes are well-established and seem to be working well.

Simple, established process, capable workers, simple product, fair or good organizational culture.

How will the QMS differ in scope and detail in a large organization with many different processes, many workers, and a much larger organizational culture?

sal881vw

Hello atsestade,
As a personal opinion the major benefit to us is the certificate and the improved working practices. As a system it tends to generate an amount of paper work and this is seen as, by fellow workers, as a burden it takes a lot of time to get used to. All of our workers know their job well and prior to the accreditaion they just went about their jobs with the least of documentation.
As to the scope the same concept as for large companies, applies.

Hope I've been of some help.

atetsade said:
What advantages do small, simple organizations have when implementing and using ISO 9001:2000?
Fortunately, you are allowed to tailor your system to your needs. :yes: I keep repeating the following note so often that I'm getting bored of hearing myself say it, but it is important.

ISO9001:2000 said:
The extent of the quality management system documentation can differ from one organization to another due to

a) the size of organization and type of activities,
b) the complexity of processes and their interactions, and
c) the competence of personnel.
So we did discuss this once or twice before. I found the following threads (there are lots of them):

Keeping Procedures Simple
Am I doing to much work?
ISO 9001: Avoiding Over Documentation

/Claes

apestate

I understand.

I knew I felt stupid somehow for posting the question. Some of my stupid questions still haunt me.

If anyone is interested: what are some examples of much too LARGE systems in ISO 9k:01 companies?

>> I shouldn't say stupid question. it occurs to me that I would be turning my back on what I just went through to call the question stupid, and perhaps someone else in my position would read this. It's not a stupid question, but I think a better question is what are some examples of excessive QMS activities in any company of any size...

For example: the daily production meeting that once took place here, everyone had to spend a half hour a day telling the Quality Manager what happened.

edited

Last edited:
atetsade said:
If anyone is interested: what are some examples of much too LARGE systems in ISO 9k:01 companies?
Too large? I think the majority of us may have been "guilty" of that, at least in the past. We for instance, had so many levels, document types and quite unnecessary written procedures in our ISO9002:1994 system that people had a very hard time finding what they were looking for.

The result? People gave up on the system and created their own uncontrolled procedures. When that happens you know you have a problem. We had a problem. Now, with fewer levels, document types and fewer, shorter and more to the point procedures, things have improved dramatically...

/Claes

A

Al Dyer

From your post I will infer that you are not automotive or are not being required to persue compliance or registration. In my mind half the battle is not being required to do it, but wanting to do it. With that mindset, management will be on board and hopefully allocate the required financial resources plus the intangible resources that will undoubtably crop up.

Good luck and keep us posted!:applause:

Al...

apestate

Al, and all Cove members:

We are being required to do it, but we also want to and are well on our way to registration.

The Cove has been invaluable in the construction and implementation of our QMS, and it's because of what I've learned here that the company wants to use ISO 9000.

Thank you, and I will keep you posted.

Top Bottom