Skip Lot Sampling - How to Perform Skip-Lot and Chain Sampling

M

Montserrat P

Hello:
I would like to know if somebody have experience related with the use of the Skip Lot Sampling Technical. Our company want to implant this technical in our process.

I will appreciate a lot all kind of information related with it.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I have used skip lot sampling in the past, but it was so long ago, my tiny little mind does not recall how we did it.

Might I suggest using MIL-STD-105, and work into a reduced sampling plan?

R

robertocarvajal

Hello:
I need to use Skip Lot Sampling also for a new project....If somebody fromj you have experience from it, please let Montserrat know....

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 15 August 2000).]

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Skip Lot is really Dock-to-Stock. In Dock-to-Stock, sooner or later your system should require a random or structured check.

A typical skip lot would be:

Inspect 3 lots. If OK, Dock-to-Stock for 5 shipments. Check the 6th shipment. If OK, Dock-to-Stock for 5 more shipments.

Continue as long as no nonconformances are identified.

If at any time time a nonconformance is identified, the inspection frequency is tightened - you define what 'tightened' is - such as inspect 3 shipments before returning to skip lot. Some systems are also set up to increase sample size when a nonconformance is identified.

D

Drew H

Has anyone used AQL and skip lot systems to satisfy the Incoming Inspection requirements for QS-9000? We are considering using this as an interim measure for suppliers who are not yet certified, but our auditor is making grumpy noises.

M

Montserrat P

We are in the process to study the Skip Lot in one of our process, however, we have not thought about to implant it in the incoming inspection. Is the history of quality level of your suppliers so excellent to make the skip lot?
May I ask you, where did you find that information Sksp? I will appreciate to count on with more literature about it.

D

Drew H

You should check out American Society for Quality - Statistics Division - Volume 4 "How to Perform Skip-Lot and Chain Sampling" by Kenneth Stephens.

The incoming quality varies - some suppliers are very good and skip lot will work; others will require constant incoming inspection. Question is, if the supplier has been shown to have adequate quality levels based on past history, but is not yet certified - will we be OK for our QS audit or is skip lot simply not allowed for QS incoming inspection? Hopefully our suppliers will be certified soon, but in the interim we need to do something and the cost of inspecting every shipment isn't justified for our good suppliers that are not yet certified.

B
You might check out Juran's Quality Control Handbook; he has a couple of pages on skip-lot schemes as does Montgomery in "Introduction to Statistical Quality Control." Also, you might search the web; seems like I found some good (and free) information of sampling a year or so back.

Good luck.

S

srigaddam

Skip Lot is really Dock-to-Stock. In Dock-to-Stock, sooner or later your system should require a random or structured check.

A typical skip lot would be:

Inspect 3 lots. If OK, Dock-to-Stock for 5 shipments. Check the 6th shipment. If OK, Dock-to-Stock for 5 more shipments.

If at any time time a nonconformance is identified, the inspection frequency is tightened - you define what 'tightened' is - such as inspect 3 shipments before returning to skip lot. Some systems are also set up to increase sample size when a nonconformance is identified.

Hello everybody,

Is the above quote complies to ISO 9001:2008?
If not, what is the best way to implement a skip lot strategy?

Appreciate your help,

Thanks,.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A C=0 and Skip Lot Sampling Plan Relationship Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
T Skip Lot Sampling Plans (SkSP) - Oil for Trans Fatty Acid Content Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
J ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2003 Sampling with Skip Lot Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
T ISO 2859-3 - Skip-lot sampling procedures - Unauthorized Inspection Frequency Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Sampling - Skip Lot - 20 ppm - What is your opinion of Skip Lot sampling? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Standards Australia - AS1199.3 2003 Skip Lot inspection Criteria and Requirements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
P Skip Lot for product or for Supplier ? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Incoming Inspection Skip Lot - Industrial staples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Skip-Lot Testing and the FDA - Reduced Testing Plan for Raw Materials Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
A Skip Lot Inspection - What do we look at and when? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J Can I skip Payment Process audit for TS16949 Internal Audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
V Skip Testing for Uniformity of Dosage Units & Dissolution US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
O PPAP Material and Performance Testing - Possible to skip? APQP and PPAP 3
J Sample size definition in an Automotive SMT pilot lot run Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Q LOT or Serial Number Symbol not used when the information is contained in the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Supplied Product on Control Plan - Lot ranging in 40,000 pcs per product FMEA and Control Plans 3
Z Do we still have to put UDI if we have DI and lot number seperately on our product ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
K FDA Lot Code format requirements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
R Documenting Expiration Date Extension for a specific lot ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
S Lot assignment for secondary reference standard - Pharmaceuticals Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
N AS9100 8.5.1 j) - Lot splitting - any loopholes? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
S Is Lot Number required in addition to UDI serial number? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
I Lot or Batch definition for IVDs Imported Legacy Blogs 0
N IVD Lot Numbers and Expiration Dates - 21 CFR 809.10 Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
J PMA Device - Lot # change in New ERP Software - What are the FDA Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
S Requirements relating to Serial Number and Lot Number Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
V 'Representative' Sample of the Lot for a Continuous Process Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Change in Lot Release Specifications - Definition of "Substantial Change" EU Medical Device Regulations 14
M Lot Numbers of Plastic Disposables in an LDT (laboratory developed test) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M How to Mathemetically Derive the AQL Tables given Lot Sizes AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
M Component Lot Number Traceability - Class I reusable and "resposable" Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Dual Lot Manufacturing requirements for Clinical Customers Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Why the FDA requests Lot Number in Testing Reports 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
E Is Design Transfer to Production be complete prior to Release of first production lot 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
G Validating a Process Based on Lot Release Criteria Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
U AQL, Lot Size vs Sampling Plans AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
Sam Lazzara Lot Release Testing versus Process Validation Studies Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
V FDA regulatory requirement on the lot number convention for medical devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
K Can I use ANSI/AQL for the Total Number of Containers for the entire Lot? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
H How to calculate the Lot Reject Rate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
A How can a sample can give information about bad products in whole lot? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
M Pipet tips of the same Lot Number have different expiration dates Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
L Regulatory Submittal During 3 Lot Sterilization Validation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Statistics equation to determine the number of samples in a lot Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
P Lot Acceptance Plan that specifies BS 6001 Double Sampling Plans, general inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
K Class Ins CE Mark Labeling Requirements (particularly Lot or Batch symbol and number) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N Switch to 100% inspection when lot fails sampling? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
G Calculating the Fraction Defective Confidence Interval for a Lot Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Samples for a Destructive Test included in a Lot Size? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
E How to determine the Lot Size for the OQ Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11