Small Company Organizational Chart with many Shared Roles

A

adroit

My company currently has 12 employees, and is in transition from a research stage to a design stage, and as such, we are working on getting quality systems in place, starting with design controls, document controls, and training. (We won't be manufacturing for another year, and those will be devices for validation studies.) I'm working on the quality manual, and looking at putting in an org chart. Under the CEO we basically have 4 departments: Finance, Business Development, Assay Research, and Engineering. Most of the functions related to quality (Quality Assurance, Document Control, HR, Safety, Purchasing) are held by people whose primary functions are in these other groups. (For example, Document Control includes one scientist in Assay Research and one systems engineer in Engineering, and the CEO performs the HR duties.)

Is an org chart required in a Quality Manual for a company like this?

If you were putting together this org chart, would you list the quality-related functions even thought hey aren't explicit groups?

Does anyone have an example of an org chart in a similar organization?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Re: Org Chart - small company with many shared roles

My company currently has 12 employees, and is in transition from a research stage to a design stage, and as such, we are working on getting quality systems in place, starting with design controls, document controls, and training. (We won't be manufacturing for another year, and those will be devices for validation studies.) I'm working on the quality manual, and looking at putting in an org chart. Under the CEO we basically have 4 departments: Finance, Business Development, Assay Research, and Engineering. Most of the functions related to quality (Quality Assurance, Document Control, HR, Safety, Purchasing) are held by people whose primary functions are in these other groups. (For example, Document Control includes one scientist in Assay Research and one systems engineer in Engineering, and the CEO performs the HR duties.)

Is an org chart required in a Quality Manual for a company like this?

If you were putting together this org chart, would you list the quality-related functions even thought hey aren't explicit groups?

Does anyone have an example of an org chart in a similar organization?

Thanks!
The requirement is to define responsibilities and authorities. You can do that in an org chart or any other method you find useful.

N

nickh - 2011

What I've done before is to define the roles in the org chart, and not the names of the people filling the roles. Separately, keep a simple personnel table (e.g., Excel spreadsheet) and list their roles. It's much easier to maintain this way.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

What I've done before is to define the roles in the org chart, and not the names of the people filling the roles. Separately, keep a simple personnel table (e.g., Excel spreadsheet) and list their roles. It's much easier to maintain this way.
I have done a similar approach, with one other detail. Al procedures were written with generic 'roles' - such as production leader, gage leader, documentation leader, etc. Then, had a cross-reference of titles to roles. If there were enough 'hats' in the role definitions, then the cross-reference and org chart were all that ever needed changed. Quite frankly, the the re-orgs that bigger organizations go through, it may be as practical there as it is for smaller organizations.

A

adroit

Thanks for the suggestion. The org chart can be created to include all the roles. Then each individual is in one or more of these roles, and this is laid out in the excel spreadsheet.

J

JaneB

Thanks for the suggestion. The org chart can be created to include all the roles. Then each individual is in one or more of these roles, and this is laid out in the excel spreadsheet.
Yes. The important thing is defining roles, responsibilities and authorities - who does what and who can do what. Often these things are quite 'blurry' in smaller companies, because of the overlap in roles. The advantage of setting out ALL the roles is so that it's clear.

I suggest to people in such a situation they think of the various roles as hats that they take off/put on as need be. And when/if the company grows, you already have a role defined.

A

adroit

I have another question related to this topic, as I start working on the training procedure: job descriptions. In a system where the procedures and the org chart define roles (not titles), would you write job descriptions by role (so some individuals would have many), or by individual (include all the roles the individual has in the job description)?

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
I have another question related to this topic, as I start working on the training procedure: job descriptions. In a system where the procedures and the org chart define roles (not titles), would you write job descriptions by role (so some individuals would have many), or by individual (include all the roles the individual has in the job description)?
Yes, be smart. Write job descriptions to the ROLE.
You may have employees that play different roles.
However, they need to be COMPETENT to play that role.

Stijloor.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I agree with Stijloor. In most cases, describing the positions is approrpiate. If there is a unique individual with special skills, you can define a specific one for that individual.

I also point out that the standard talks about defining the skills needed for each position. I find a detailed list of skills for each position, with more detail than the typical 1 page HR job description, is a highly useful tool for continual improvement.

AnaMariaVR2

Trusted Information Resource
Yes, be smart. Write job descriptions to the ROLE.
You may have employees that play different roles.
However, they need to be COMPETENT to play that role.

Stijloor.
:agree1: agree with going w/ roles on ORG charts.

Under the CEO we basically have 4 departments: Finance, Business Development, Assay Research, and Engineering. Most of the functions related to quality (Quality Assurance, Document Control, HR, Safety, Purchasing) are held by people whose primary functions are in these other groups. (For example, Document Control includes one scientist in Assay Research and one systems engineer in Engineering, and the CEO performs the HR duties.)
Have there been any formal assessments of the actual need to hire someone else (QA leader) as your company moves forward in this transition period? And if the company is eventually going to hire someone in the future for this QA role, why not bring a competent quality person on board early on (now) in the transition process so that the right quality foundations are adequately put in placed and built into the operations, processes and systems? :2cents:

...and by assay research, do you mean assay development?

Good luck!:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q ISO Team Organizational chart & functions for a small company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
T EQMS for small medical device company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 4
E In need of a new TGA sponsor - Small software company Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
R Inventory management for a small startup device company Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Ed Panek Small Medical Device company - Bring production in-house ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M AS9100 - Where to start - Small company (10 employees) and I am the Quality Dept. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 45
J Requirements for Work Transfer of Small Company AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
P QMS software recommendations for a small ISO 13485 company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
S Quality Plan at a small Medical Device Company - Is the quality plan a DMR document ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
G Setting Up a Basic Quality Lab for a small manufacturing company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
E Defined Roles in Small Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
H How to Establish and Document Competence of Employees in a Small Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
P Small company of approx 28 Employees - ISO-9001:2008 Guidelines ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Looking for Calibration Software for small company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 20
5 Advice for a new EMS at a small, office-based company ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
L Implementing ISO 9001 in small Trading Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A FDA 510(k) Payment requirements for a Small Company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
P Audit Man Day Requirements - Small AS9100 Company hiring New Employees AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 18
T Quality Department Structure in a Small Medical Device Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
D QMS Software Recommendations for a Small Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S Is 7.3 Design and development needed in a Small Engineering Company? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
V ISO 9001 Clause 5.6.2(f) Management Review Input in a Small Company Management Review Meetings and related Processes 7
C Very Small OTC (Over The Counter) Pharmaceutical Company Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
K Small Company Compliance with TS 16949 Clause 6.2.2.3 - Training on the Job IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
C Implementing ISO 9001:2008 in a small Sales and Service company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
P Typical Number of NCRs for a Small Manufacturing Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P ISO 9001 Internal audit rotation in a small company Internal Auditing 7
O Internal Auditing in small Engineering company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B ISO 9001 for a small Micro Software Company Software Quality Assurance 18
T How to move from a small company to a large company Career and Occupation Discussions 7
S Implementing ISO 9001 for a small fabrication company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Deviating from AQL in a small Retail Apparel Company AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
N Internal Audit Process for small Medical Device company Internal Auditing 9
M Cheap/Free CAPA Software for small Pharmaceutical company Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
T Initiating Cultural Change in a Small Manufacturing Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
D Small Company wanting to avoid certain 21 CFR 11 Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
J Small Company with an established Secretary/Admin person with "Personal" procedures Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
S Fast growing small O&G Company QMS implementation - My path forward ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D FDA Compliant QMS Software Recommendation for Small Company Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
C Internal Auditor Qualifications? Small Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Small Company with ISO 14001 Environmental Targets Questions ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
A How Big/How Small - Size limitation on a company being ISO 9001 certified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
M Recommend Registrar for a Small Company - ISO13485 Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
S Organisational Chart for a small Engineering and Manufacturing Company Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Laboratory Scope for a Small Metal Stamping Company Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
B Small Company Customer Complaint System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2