Small one man shop with QMS (shoptech e2) | AS9100 cert help

I have Shoptech E2 currently and am pretty much compliant for ISO9001 but havent had any audits or certs that have been external. I am a one man shop doing rapid prototyping using a cnc milling center. I rent space inside of my workplace that is bonded in its own way (behind locked doors and cages to keep all materials separated as well as processes).

What are some things I need to watch and get in place before I have an official audit and is there a quick checklist of some sort that I can do on my own to make sure im ready to go. I dont have much money after the $100,000 cnc machine, software to run it and shoptech e2 software, but I know its the direction I want to go before I hire employees.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Not fully familiar with the Shoptech package - many of these software solutions are NOT effective - or necessarily compliant with ISO 9001:2015. For sure you'd have to have an internal audit to ensure everything is in place. If you don't have much money, can you make a business case for spending $3,000+ on a certificate? Rarely, in my experience, do prototyping shops need ISO 9001 due to customer deamnd, so you might be putting the cart before the horse here.

Added in edit: Having reviewed the Shoptech claims for their Quality Control package, you may need to revise your understanding of "ISO compliance"...

Last edited:
Shoptech has everything needed for ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100, They do have a rapid deployment module for the documents but I have that figured out on my own.

$3500 isnt unreasonable, $10,000 would be. I also feel I would be able to bring in work from my current employer if I had the AS9100, they already know im very familiar with the process.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Do you have a copy of the standard? I would start there. Then take it clause by clause and identify where you handle each requirement.

Do you have a copy of the standard? I would start there. Then take it clause by clause and identify where you handle each requirement.
I do have copies of what we use here at work but I don't have a "virgin" copy of the standards. Is there a place I can download the standard in pdf format to print?

I do have copies of what we use here at work but I don't have a "virgin" copy of the standards. Is there a place I can download the standard in pdf format to print?
ISO 9001:2015 can be obtained from the ASQ. AS9100D may be obtained from SAE or IHS Markit

Does it? I'm not so sure. Is that because they are telling you it is?
I bought it for ISO compliance and certification, paid the money and took the training for ISO...they advertise that for a small shop they can help get AS9100 in 12 weeks using their software and training and the cooperation of the company so I would think that it does have everything needed.

I just cant afford their RDS module, it costs as much as the software I already purchased. I'm not a total cheap skate but when you are a one man shop and already spent $14,000 on a QMS/ERP software....I think I can figure out the rest with a little help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Audit Man Day Requirements - Small AS9100 Company hiring New Employees AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
A AS9100 Certification for Small (2 man) Business AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
Proud Liberal Small radius with tight tolerance on a torus General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
shimonv Worthwhileness for a small startups to apply for EUA (Emergency Use Authorization) for COVID-19 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 17
T ISO 9001:2015 - Small Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T ISO 13485 - 5.5.1 Responsibility and authority - Small Company Independence ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
T EQMS for small medical device company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
E Sharepoint for ISO 13485 QMS for small IVD company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
M ISO 9001:2015 8.2.1 Contingency Plan required for small Business? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Gauge Study for Small Lots Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
F AS9100D Process Matrix for a small cnc machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
E In need of a new TGA sponsor - Small software company Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
Nicole Desouza ISO / AS Certification - Small business with less than 100 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J ISO 9001:2015 Small Operation Management Review General Auditing Discussions 6
R Inventory management for a small startup device company Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
E Question on GD&T added to print - Positional callout for the small holes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Is CE Mark needed for a small DAC audio board on top of a Rasberry PI? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Ed Panek Small Medical Device company - Bring production in-house ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Small Sample - Lower Limit Probability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
Z Best Practices - small volume medical device tube cutting (0.020" to 0.080" OD)? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L REACH Compliance - Small, family-owned contract manufacturer REACH and RoHS Conversations 16
Tagin Measuring supplier quality with small quantities Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
apestate Inexpensive Gage Blocks for small aerospace startup shop General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
I DOE: High variance and small effects in Minitab Using Minitab Software 1
M AS9100 - Where to start - Small company (10 employees) and I am the Quality Dept. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
B ISO 9001:2015 for a Small Machine Shop need Resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H AS9100D Cert question - Small machine shop - Where can I buy a certificate? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Le Chiffre Is ISO/IEC 27001 appropriate for most small businesses? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
P Is it possible to make an educated decision using a very very small sample size? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
B Medical device manufacturer - Product certification (Small businesses) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Requirements for Work Transfer of Small Company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
P QMS software recommendations for a small ISO 13485 company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
S Need Continuous improvement Suggestions - Small (30 of us) all-CNC machine shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
S Quality Plan at a small Medical Device Company - Is the quality plan a DMR document ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G Setting Up a Basic Quality Lab for a small manufacturing company General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
E Defined Roles in Small Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D Number of Audit Days - AS9100D Transition for a Small Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M AS9100D excluding Design and Development - Small Job Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
R ISO 9001:2015 for Small Enterprises - Book from ISO ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Performing PQ on a Small (tabletop) Air Heat Treating Oven ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H How to Establish and Document Competence of Employees in a Small Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J Suggestions on Inadequate Resources in a Small Machine Shop Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
M API Monogram License for a Small Machine Shop Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
A Automated Measurement Machine MSA - Small Parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
P Small company of approx 28 Employees - ISO-9001:2008 Guidelines ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7