Small one man shop with QMS (shoptech e2) | AS9100 cert help

E

eterneng

I have Shoptech E2 currently and am pretty much compliant for ISO9001 but havent had any audits or certs that have been external. I am a one man shop doing rapid prototyping using a cnc milling center. I rent space inside of my workplace that is bonded in its own way (behind locked doors and cages to keep all materials separated as well as processes).

What are some things I need to watch and get in place before I have an official audit and is there a quick checklist of some sort that I can do on my own to make sure im ready to go. I dont have much money after the $100,000 cnc machine, software to run it and shoptech e2 software, but I know its the direction I want to go before I hire employees.

AndyN

Moved On
Not fully familiar with the Shoptech package - many of these software solutions are NOT effective - or necessarily compliant with ISO 9001:2015. For sure you'd have to have an internal audit to ensure everything is in place. If you don't have much money, can you make a business case for spending $3,000+ on a certificate? Rarely, in my experience, do prototyping shops need ISO 9001 due to customer deamnd, so you might be putting the cart before the horse here.

Added in edit: Having reviewed the Shoptech claims for their Quality Control package, you may need to revise your understanding of "ISO compliance"...

Last edited:
E

eterneng

Shoptech has everything needed for ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100, They do have a rapid deployment module for the documents but I have that figured out on my own.

$3500 isnt unreasonable, $10,000 would be. I also feel I would be able to bring in work from my current employer if I had the AS9100, they already know im very familiar with the process.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Do you have a copy of the standard? I would start there. Then take it clause by clause and identify where you handle each requirement.

E

eterneng

Do you have a copy of the standard? I would start there. Then take it clause by clause and identify where you handle each requirement.

I do have copies of what we use here at work but I don't have a "virgin" copy of the standards. Is there a place I can download the standard in pdf format to print?

AndyN

Moved On
I do have copies of what we use here at work but I don't have a "virgin" copy of the standards. Is there a place I can download the standard in pdf format to print?

ISO 9001:2015 can be obtained from the ASQ. AS9100D may be obtained from SAE or IHS Markit

E

eterneng

Does it? I'm not so sure. Is that because they are telling you it is?

I bought it for ISO compliance and certification, paid the money and took the training for ISO...they advertise that for a small shop they can help get AS9100 in 12 weeks using their software and training and the cooperation of the company so I would think that it does have everything needed.

I just cant afford their RDS module, it costs as much as the software I already purchased. I'm not a total cheap skate but when you are a one man shop and already spent $14,000 on a QMS/ERP software....I think I can figure out the rest with a little help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom