Smallest Gage block - What is the smallest gage block for calibrating micrometers?

L

lebronfeldt

What is the smallest gage block for calibrating micrometers?

I have a 0.010 block but would like something smaller.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Smallest Gage block

What is the smallest gage block for calibrating micrometers?

I have a 0.010 block but would like something smaller.
You can go to smaller gage pins (Deltronic) or gage balls. You may want to use gage balls as an approach to detect wear on micrometer anvil faces.

L

lebronfeldt

Re: Smallest Gage block

to make a 2.00 reading is actually 2.00 on the display.

I've tried feeler gages but they keep giving different readings.

Re: Smallest Gage block - What is the smallest gage block for calibrating micrometers

Hello everyone
If you used a 2.000mm block and a 2.001mm block you could get a 0.001mm difference. This should be visible on an electronic micrometer.
Hope this helps.
Paul

K

kgriff

Re: Smallest Gage block - What is the smallest gage block for calibrating micrometers

What is the nominal thickness of the paper?

You might try something like this. Using an example of a nominal paper thickness of 0.12mm, with a tolerance of +/- 0.010mm
-Purchase a 10mm Class Y plug gage. Purchased as a "master", this will have specification of +/-0.000445mm.
-Use the plug gage, in conjunction with the micrometer, to measure the paper. (In other words, for every measurement, you will be measuring the plug and the paper at the same time. This makes the nominal measurement 10.12mm +/- 0.010mm)

This method gets you within a range where you do not require any special sized gage blocks to calibrate your mic. At my company, we have and use many odd-sized gage blocks. There are available from most any gage block manufacturer. However, they are expensive to purchase, and expensive to have them calibrated. You are better off to sitck with normal sized gage blocks, where possible.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Since a gage is said to most accurately measure in approximately the center of its range and its resolution should be about 10 times that of the tolerance increment, I would not choose a micrometer for this task. So, as Stijloor suggests I would start with an instrument that has an appropriate range and resolution. I would get this gage externally calibrated before trying in-house calibration to .001mm.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
apestate Estimating between a gage's smallest increments - What is the true story? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J Precision of REPRORUBBER - What is the 'smallest' that reprorubber can discriminate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A What is the smallest slice of time? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 46
V Analog Pressure Gauge Calibration - smallest resolution practice General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
A Identification and Traceability down to the smallest detail of the component AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
C What is the smallest measurable tolerance? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
S What is the smallest component (team/person) of an organization can get certified? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
E What is the smallest graduation (resolution) available for a Dial Test Indicator? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Spot Weld Nugget - MSA Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Gage type and data base maintainence Using GAGEpack Software 2
F Should I perform several Gage R&R for every caliper to cover all specs range of use? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
T Gage R&R study - Ordinal data Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Q Gage Pin Sets? Calibrate/Verify them all or just a sample size? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
S If 4 operate to measure, what is the value of k2?(MSA gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S Faro Arm, Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
8 MSA--Should I Use Parts or Gage Pins? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Gage Block Grade 1 - Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 15
R Gage Measuring 15 Parts at a Time Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Q Gage calibration in disarray ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Gage R&R automated test equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
PQ Systems Recipe for Success! 10 Ingredients for a Healthy Gage Management System Using GAGEpack Software 0
D Gage Repeatability for Faro Arm Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
S Comparing measurement results for a part from two ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Quick Gage R&R Question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
PQ Systems Best Practices In Gage Management Using GAGEpack Software 0
PQ Systems Gage R&R - 3 Part Series Using GAGEpack Software 0
I Excel based Gage R&R VS Minitab calculation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R Repeatability Type 1 Gage and Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
W Proper gage to use for receiving inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
A GAGE R&R Binomial with master list (for method validation) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A R chart from ANOVA gage R&R test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M Type 1 Gage r study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
L Gage R&R TMV Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S MSA for attribute relation gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
E Zero part to part variation - Gage R&R project Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
M Gage R&R and right way to measure Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
L Gage RandR on automated equipment. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
D Difference between Test Method Validation and Gage R&R Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 20
R Determining Uncertainty from Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Gage Block Wringing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Gage R&R with NDC=1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3