Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process

I was informed two weeks ago that SMMT released a new process to the CB's whereby the Certification Body monitors an OEM KPI dB for Customer Scorecard Status. When a status goes "red" the CB is responsible to investigate with Supplier and based on reason/actions, issue a Customer Satisfaction Major NC against IATF-16949 starting the decertification process. I cannot locate any "formal" communication on IATF Global Oversight website or any other media platforms. Ford, GM and PSA Groupe are the starting OEM's into this process.
As often as customer scorecard indicators change, this could be a real challenge for the supply industry.
Any thoughts, experience and/or materials you can share?
See attached SMMT letter.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

outdoorsNW

Involved In Discussions
This seems like a scheme that will reduce the number of IATF-16949 certified companies. Given OEMs sometimes have conflicting or unrealistic expectations, how many companies will want to deal with the cost and disruptions. The OEMs might regret this because their suppliers will expect 100% accuracy in scorecards and will be sending in lots of requests for corrections. Some OEMs will probably find they are no bid more or have their prices raised to deal with the hassles and risk this creates.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
This seems like a scheme that will reduce the number of IATF-16949 certified companies.
Making predictions is risky; especially about the future...:unsure: Time will tell if CB's will start de-certifying automotive suppliers in any significant numbers.

But, I will repeat a comment that I've made 3 or 4 times in the past about a STUPID decision made by the IATF that, in part, affects the CB's performance doing oversight of auto-suppliers: "...Unfortunately, however, the IATF themselves are partly to blame for the problem. When they instituted a ruling that the scope of the IATF audits should include ALL automotive work, irrespective if the registrant's customer ascribes to the IATF 16949 standard, or not, they made a very stupid decision. Why should a CB auditor delve into the HONDA product line of a tier one supplier, if HONDA gives a "rodent's derriere" about IATF 16949? It is simply stupid to force the auditor to spend any time there. S/he should spend ALL of their time and effort assessing the Tier 1 organization within the confines of the system touching products that go to automotive customers that demand that supplier to be IATF 16949 certified...."

An asinine decision, one they should regret having made and revoke. The IATF ascribing OEM's MUST not hinder the CB's efforts in assessing suppliers QMS robustness by forcing a dilution of the audit time with irrelevant audit trails. And, by the way, this would not be the first time I showed the IATF decisions were flawed. Check the thread when I posted this, for example.

outdoorsNW

Involved In Discussions
I realized my prior comment was poorly worded. What I meant to say is the scheme will likely reduce the number of companies choosing to become certified.

While certificates should mean something, the proposed scheme has almost no accountability for customers to ensure they judge the supplier's fairly. The only accountability is that an unfair customer will see lots of no bids or will see price hikes as a risk premium.

A more fair method would be to require the customer to also be certified and if there are scorecard accuracy problems the customer can complain and the CB would examine the customer. In the real world this would likely lead to lots of finger pointing and both side complaining to the CB. The CBs would then likely get overwhelmed and the whole system breaks down. Plus this changes the CB role for auditor to something much more involved in the day to day operations of a business.

While my experience is more aerospace focused, I have seen plenty of customer caused issues labeled supplier responsibility. Problems blamed on us as the supplier include delays due to customer changes, poor customer prints, the customer's mandated supplier not performing (including when we advised the customer the supplier is a poor choice), slow customer response to questions, late delivery because the customer did not send a source inspector for a week after being notified, and on time delivery hits for not meeting the customer's desired date when we said there is no way to meet that date.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Howard Atkins Official TS answers from SMMT- Layout, System Audits, MR and Doc Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
R ISO TS 16949 Technical Specification available from the SMMT IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Howard Atkins SMMT gives Timetable for 3rd edition of rules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Sidney Vianna From the SMMT website: How many TS-16949 certificates have been issued? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S SMMT Trainer / TS Auditor - Do they have to get their re-certification from IAOB? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Auditing Process and System to TS 16949 - SMMT Industry General Auditing Discussions 7
Marc Honda and ISO / TS 16949 - AIAG, ANFIA, FIEV, JAMA, SMMT and VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 13
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Latest news from IATF - August 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Corrective Action Timing - IATF CB Deadline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Definition of "worldwide" in view of IATF 16949 and Product conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Document "Correspondence IATF 16949 vs ISO13485" available? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
H Remote product audits in Coivd-19 - IATF 16949 9.2.2.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S IATF 16949 - Partial traceability of Aftermarket products IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
I IATF 2016 - 8.5.1.4 Verification after shutdown due to COVID19 Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News IATF opens channel for whistleblowers (21 April 2020) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
C Industrial scales and MSA (IATF 16949 requirement 7.1.5.1.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
V Generic IATF 16949 Audit Checklist wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Scope of Combined ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 QMS - Non-automotive customers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Postpone IATF 16949 audit due to COVID-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 34
D Do non-IATF customers need to be included in audit scope? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
T Reaction Plan To Drive suppliers to IATF 16949 registration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R IATF/IAOB Red Supplier Pilot Program IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B IATF 16949 - Is a Deviation required for sample components in a prototype build? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
C IATF 16949 - Scope or not? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L "IATF-Compliant" IATF 16949:2016 certification? What does this mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
B Go Beyond ISO 9001 WITH IATF 16949 (January 28) [Paid] Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
K IATF & Attribute Study requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
W Certification for IATF Lead Auditor will expire in 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B IATF certificate suspended - Who do we notify? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
C Design and implementation of process audits as defined within IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q VDA 6.3 questions vs IATF 16949 clauses VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
N IATF 16949:2016 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - How to approve the Testing Laboratory without accreditation scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M IATF 16949 (6.1.1 - Planning and Risk Analysis for a remote site) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D IATF 16949 FAQ 24 (8.4.2.2 Countries of Destination) - How is this actually being interpreted? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
E Received a Major finding during IATF Surveillance audit for loss of BIQS Level 3 (more than 6 SPPS in 6 months)...how should we address SYSTEMIC CA? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
Jimmy123 What is the difference between Error Proofing and Controls? ISO/IATF 16949 - Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 16
P IATF 16949 8.4.2.4 Supplier Monitoring IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
C IATF 16949 8.3 Exclusion - Manufacturing process design and development IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J IATF 16949 8.4.1.2 Supplier selection process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
I Receiving Inspection Requirement in IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3