SMP - Skills Management Process - Does anyone else have experience with SMP?

Smp

Years ago, I was involved with a thing called SMP (Skills Management Process). It was a "fact-based" method of determing training needs, and developing Individual Training Plans (ITP) for employees. Just for fun (because this is a new forum), does anyone else have experience with SMP, and if so, what did you think?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
I had some material on it........had to play around with it to get it to fit my needs, but it was a good beginning. I liked it.

I actually took the basic principals, made some changes, did some new forms and used it in a ASQ conference presentation on "effective training programs" I added presentation delivery stuff and effectivity measures as well.

What did you think? How did you use it?

R

ralphsulser

Skill Map

db said:
Years ago, I was involved with a thing called SMP (Skills Management Process). It was a "fact-based" method of determing training needs, and developing Individual Training Plans (ITP) for employees. Just for fun (because this is a new forum), does anyone else have experience with SMP, and if so, what did you think?
We use something here called a "Skill Map" or also refered to as a training matrix. This is done for each operating department.
I'll attach one for your review.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Training courses for improving 'Coaching and Mentoring skills' within Europe Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
A I am working in QA. How can I gain knowledge and skills on EHS system? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
M Problems with Competence/Skills Matrix (6.2 Human Resources) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Skills and Training for Engineers: How are your Engineers selected AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
I Time Management Skills Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
D ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2 - Training Records, a Job Skills Matrix and Job Descriptions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
Uriel Alejandro Problems with the Employee Skills Matrix - Document Control System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
P Skills and Behaviour Development of Workers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
B Demonstrating Leadership Skills in a Job Interview Career and Occupation Discussions 7
Q Analytical Tools to increase or improve Analytical Skills Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
A Engineering Production Skills Matrix for Assembly or CNC Machinists Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
Q Skills Assessment Matrix Career and Occupation Discussions 5
AnaMariaVR2 Poor Writing Skills Overshadow Good Content, Credibility & Revenues Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 19
Q Improving Technical Writing skills for CAPA Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
A How to further job skills to be a QA Manager? Career and Occupation Discussions 6
V Product Design Skills - TS 16949 Clause 6.2.2.1 Requirement IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C Looking for Skills Matrix & Justification of skill levels. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S Oil and Gas Audit - What are the basic skills needed for an auditor Internal Auditing 9
C Employee Skills Inventory Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
A 6.2.2.1 Product Design Skills required for the personnel of Product Engineering Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
G MSSC (Manufacturing Skills Standards Council) Quality And Continuous Improvement Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
Wes Bucey Skills that Pay the Best Career and Occupation Discussions 12
D The Twi Workbook: Essential Skills for Supervisors Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 6
Tim Folkerts Getting a job - Strong on skills, weak on other qualifications Career and Occupation Discussions 12
J Link to a vitual MBA Managers skills course pdf file Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
L How do you measure soft skills training efficiency? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
Claes Gefvenberg So how are your driving skills? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 18
K Improving Aerospace Auditing Skills AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S "Product Design skills" Exclusions in TS16949 Clause 6.2.2.1 Design and Development of Products and Processes 12
Sidney Vianna "Improving Aerospace Auditing Skills" Workshop General Auditing Discussions 3
A Skills Matrix for Production Department - Faucet Manufacturing Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Required skills for Automotive R&D Electronic / Electrical design validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
A Web site for job descriptions and skills requirements Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
L Quiz for basic math skills wanted Career and Occupation Discussions 10
L Where/how do we learn training skills? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
Marc Evaluation of Training Needs - We Pirates Want a Training Day w/ Communication Skills Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
S Design and development skills - No responsibility for product design and development Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
G ISO/TS 16949:2002 - 6.2.2.1 Product Design Skills - Tools and techniques needed Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
S Internal laboratory requirements and technician skills - TS 16949 para. 7.6.3.1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Quality Audit Skills - Working on the development of an Auditing Skills training tool Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
F TS 16949 6.2.2.1 Product Design Skills - Product Design is done overseas Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
F Training Matrix - Skills based matrix within an Investment Foundry Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
R Quality Control Engineer: What are the minimum skills/qualifications required? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
M Criteria for Auditor Selection and upgrading their auditing skills General Auditing Discussions 6
S Monitoring Training Stimulus - Faculties vs. Skills Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
T TS 16949 Clause 6.2.2.1 - Product Design Skills Exclusion Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
D Permissible Exclusions - How is 6.2.2.1 Product design skills being handled Design and Development of Products and Processes 24
J Skills Testing - How to get a baseline for training purposes Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
Raffy Competencies: Education, Experience, Skills and Abilities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
WALLACE NLP (neuro linguistic programing) - Communications skills Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2