So confused with AQL - How does AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) fit with my company

K

ktout

So, we're a small (less than 20 employee) manufacturing company. I do almost all of our purchasing, we're working toward ISO:9001. One of my customer's is requiring that we "develop and implement inspection receiving plans using AQL chart to determine sample size & frequency."

1. I'm confused as to what the AQL chart is. Is it a chart that you can go to to determine a lot sampling size for inspection?
2. We don't receive in any parts, per say, more or less we receive in base/raw materials, printing inks, drill bits, chemicals ect. So, I'm not sure how exactly I am supposed to be doing an incoming inspection more in depth than a visual and making sure the products/qty's match my issued PO's. We do not do any chemical testing in house, so I would have no idea for example, how to test an incoming drum of chemicals to make sure it is correct. I have to rely on the fact that my vendor has labeled everything correctly,
3. Based on the info above, how would I implement and use an AQL chart? Most of the items I order are in small quantities (less than 10 pcs). Occasionally I will order higher quantity of say, drill bits, which I can see how an AQL would be helpful. But, for all of my small orders, I'm just lost.

Thanks in advance for the help, I need it.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: So confused with AQL - How does AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) fit with my compan

A Quick Bump!

Can someone help with this?

Thank you very much!

Stijloor.

Re: So confused with AQL - How does AQL (Acceptable Quality Level) fit with my compan

One of my customer's is requiring that we "develop and implement inspection receiving plans using AQL chart to determine sample size & frequency."
Can you please ask your customer what AQL he uses to inspect and accept your parts in his receiving inspection plans?
For me you are pretty much OK in your approach.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator

So, we're a small (less than 20 employee) manufacturing company. I do almost all of our purchasing, we're working toward ISO:9001. One of my customer's is requiring that we "develop and implement inspection receiving plans using AQL chart to determine sample size & frequency."

1. I'm confused as to what the AQL chart is. Is it a chart that you can go to to determine a lot sampling size for inspection?
2. We don't receive in any parts, per say, more or less we receive in base/raw materials, printing inks, drill bits, chemicals ect. So, I'm not sure how exactly I am supposed to be doing an incoming inspection more in depth than a visual and making sure the products/qty's match my issued PO's. We do not do any chemical testing in house, so I would have no idea for example, how to test an incoming drum of chemicals to make sure it is correct. I have to rely on the fact that my vendor has labeled everything correctly,
3. Based on the info above, how would I implement and use an AQL chart? Most of the items I order are in small quantities (less than 10 pcs). Occasionally I will order higher quantity of say, drill bits, which I can see how an AQL would be helpful. But, for all of my small orders, I'm just lost.

Thanks in advance for the help, I need it.
Let's start with the basic that AQL is the process average percent defective that is acceptable 95% of the time (a general intepretation). It is not lot/batch specific but a process average.

Any visual test you do is considered a go/no-go testing. It either passes or fails. The question you need to answer is how many do I need to visually inspect, and how many "failures" are acceptable. For every combination of sample size and accept number, an AQL can be calculated, as well as an OC curve that gives the probability of accepting a lot with any percent defective. If I had to guess, I would assume your customer wants you to generate these OC curves for different sampling plans.

I am not a big fan of AQL without understand the other end of the OC curve, the LTPD (sometimes called rejection limit or limiting quality) which is the percent defective that I would have a 10% probability of accepting.

There is NO right answer to the AQL or LQ values. It MUST be based on the risk of making a "wrong" decision. For example, an AQL of 1% means that 5% of the time your sampling plan will reject lots that at no worse than 1% defective on average. Where a LQ of 5% would mean that your sampling plan will accept 10% of the time lots with a greater than 5% percent defective on average. Are these numbers acceptable of the risk of the raw material you are purchasing?

B

Bunny

Your customer is referring to this.
ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008: Sampling Procedures and Tables for Inspection by Attributes

ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008 Sampling Procedures and Tables for Inspection by Attributes is an acceptance sampling system to be used with switching rules on a continuing stream of lots for Acceptance Quality Limit (AQL) specified. It provides tightened, normal, and reduced plans to be applied for attributes inspection for percent nonconforming or nonconformities per 100 units.

You can implement this practice for all of some of your items. If it is not practical to use a sampling plan for some items, like the simple ones. You should implement a visual inspection instead.

I my case, we can receive anything from a simple bag of screws to custom made printed circuit boards to finished medical product that requires testing. I have set of 3 levels of inspection dependent on the type. Screws and other simple hardware just receive a basic visual inspection and documentation check. Boards and other more complicated items follow the ASQ sampling guidelines and the most important items receive 100% testing.

K

ktout

I guess my dilemma with the AQL is that the majority if not all of our products that are incoming are simply a raw material. So, I can pretty much only do a visual pass/fail inspection and counting the qty. If a product comes in and is incorrect or is bad, we reject it and request a replacement. We really don't have a % of parts that we would allow to be rejected. With all that said, I don't really see how an we can implement the use of an AQL chart? I don't usually get anything of qty over 10 pcs. To me the AQL seems more fitting to someone that receives in thousands of parts.

B

Bunny

I agree and I would think that your supplier would agree too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Essential performance, accompanying documents....confused IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D Software as risk control - Confused on one aspect of IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 20
E European Weld Callouts - Confused with the "/C" and the "a2" portions Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
R Still confused on OPRP and CCP in an ISO 22000 Catering Business Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
S Pressure from Directors - confused! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R ISO 9001 Implementation in the Bus/Coach Industry - Confused and Help needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Confused about Document Levels and Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
J Confused about application of ISO 13485 - Manufacturer of Medical Equipment & Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
T TS 16949 Process Audit Help - Confused Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 8
N ISO 9001 Implementation - I am still confused on where to start ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Certification Audit - Confused Newbie Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
T Confused on Work Instruction Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Confused with 7.4 Purchasing - We provide a "service" which is our "product" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Confused about Writing Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Gage R&R Spreadsheet Results - Confused as to what the results mean Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 28
B IEC 60601-1: EMC problems: Confused about 915MHz ISM band in Europe IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Q Confused: IEC 60601-1-2:YYYY and Required Compliance Dates IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S Confused: Accreditation / Certification? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
K An MR (Management Representative) who's as confused as he* Career and Occupation Discussions 14
M Confused about Control Plan and PFMEA Retention Period Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K Developing a PFMEA - Confused about Potential Failure modes FMEA and Control Plans 7
H Confused over the notion of "offline (engineering) analysis" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
I Confused on PPAP re-submission - Help on PSW (Part Submission Warrant) APQP and PPAP 3
T Confused by chapter numbering scheme in new standard (IEC EN-60601-2-37:2007) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
C CAP for Medical Device Class Is product - Slightly confused - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Confused - Medical Device Reports and Corrections/Removals 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Wes Bucey FWIW: FDA confused? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
M Confused about measurement of software - Section 7.6 of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
WCHorn ISO/IEC 17025 Registrars - I'm confused about "accredited" registrars for ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 18
M Predictive Maintenance - Confused about what can be considered predictive maintenance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
W Confused under what ISO 9001 clause would I place my Quality Process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Totally confused over changes to issue numbers - Quality & procedures manuals Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
J Confused about Calibration Tolerances of Plug Gauge, Ring Gauge & Snap Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S PPM vs. DPMO - Confused on how to use Six Sigma 2
A Still Confused About "Controlling Suppliers Records" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Confused about the machine capability index Cmk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
C Confused with Regression Analysis - What about the P-value? Six Sigma 2
B I am confused, which Cmk value should I take and use? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
N Confused by calibration concepts - Seeking help with the basics General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Confused about registration scope - Engine accessories supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Level 1, Level 2 Very Confused ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
D Confused over product=service=transport Service Industry Specific Topics 2
S Confused about the TS 16949 Deadline - Presumably a Big 3 mandate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Strategies for Going In Blind - My employer is probably confused why I'm here Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
W I'm confused about the term 'processes' in the revised (2000) ISO 9001 standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
Marc NIST Traceability Numbers - Confused Yet? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Question regarding AQL - ISO 3951 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
N AS 13004 Control Plan and AQL FMEA and Control Plans 1
S AQL tables: how to read them Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
C What is the Appropriate AQL for Purchased Implantable Devices? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5